"anything you can do, i can do better" rant!

Options
I just had to share this. I was out with a group of friends discussing how i am starting to train for my first half marathon. This is pretty outside the norm for my very unathletic group of friends. My one friend starts bragging about how he could do it without any training, and he runs 10 miles multiple times a week. Now - this is all being said with a cigerrette in hand as he orders his 6th beer.

Are there really people who can drink every night, smoke a pack a day, and then run ten miles on a belly full of junk food? Because i do none of these things, and i don't know if i could run 10 miles at this stage. Hearing that just made me want to give up!

Replies

• JenniCH
    JenniCH Posts: 74
    Options
    Hmm this person MIGHT be able to but I'm tempted to call bullsh*t on that one... I'd find it highly unlikely. But don't ever let anyone ELSE or what they do or say make YOU give up on your goals!! You are doing this for you, not anyone else.
  • zudleymarie
    zudleymarie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Ditto. I call shenanigans on that.
  • RochelleBlack
    Options
    Um, yeah. I'd agree. You should have asked him to train with you :wink:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Ask him if you can jog with him. :devil:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Lol! I seriously doubt it. Ask him to run with you...
  • ChunTingO
    ChunTingO Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm.....NOt! LOL
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I am a pack a day smoker and am currently training for a Warrior Dash run, and its not that hard being a smoker.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    You could invite him to run with you... but at the end of the day, does it really matter what he can/can't do? Life will always be full of people making comments that are unappreciated and that have the potential to make us feel bad, but it's up to you to decide not to let that happen. You're doing what you need to do for yourself - there's no value in comparing yourself to anyone else. So don't let your cigarette-smoking, beer-drinking, junk-food-eating friend get you down, regardless of whether or not he can *really* run like he claims.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Definite Shenanigins!
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Some people, like Keith Richards, defy all logic when it comes to what their health SHOULD be like due to their vices...(And don't you just hate those people?! lol)
  • Tic_Tac_Toe
    Tic_Tac_Toe Posts: 33
    Options
    I know people that have an atheletic body and still smoke & drink every week. Some people can do it! Not saying, it is a good thing but it can happen. Some of those men that you see with a beer in one hand & a cig in the other do hard labor all day long.
  • LauraKB
    LauraKB Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Do you realy care that much? Most people are full of ShXX anyway... keep training and doing what is good for you. That's all that matters!
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I have plenty of friends who (when we were in our 20's) could party all night and get up and workout like it was no thing. I find it hard to believe but then again who really cares if he can. Its about you...
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter either way, simply because you may not be a natural runner, while other may be...

so work with what you are given and dont' worry about what others can or cant do..
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Don't let what someone else says get you down. If it is something that you really want to do then go for it and do it. My experience is that people say rude things to try to get you feeling down because they are unhappy with their life. :flowerforyou: I would invite him to run with you.
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Everyone is very right. Despite being frustrated by, that my training will continue, because some of us need to train for these things! :D I guess i was just overly sensitive to it because i do get insecure about my athletic capabilities. Although he is conveniently avoiding all my offers to meet up for a run in the next couple weeks, haha. I do secretly wish i could drink all night with my friends and still run in the morning, though! c'est la vie!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Invite him to sign up for the race and train with him.

The beauty of running & racing is you are only competing with yourself.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I just had to share this. I was out with a group of friends discussing how i am starting to train for my first half marathon. This is pretty outside the norm for my very unathletic group of friends. My one friend starts bragging about how he could do it without any training, and he runs 10 miles multiple times a week. Now - this is all being said with a cigerrette in hand as he orders his 6th beer.

Are there really people who can drink every night, smoke a pack a day, and then run ten miles on a belly full of junk food? Because i do none of these things, and i don't know if i could run 10 miles at this stage. Hearing that just made me want to give up!

I was able to do 3 out of 4 of those activities. I separated the ten miles apart from a belly full of junk food.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    The Anything -you- can- do- I- can- do- better-friend.

Gotta love 'em. Not. I just broke up with one friend who is like that all. the . time. :grumble:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I always said that about school, I'm not naturally smart, but I worked my *kitten* off and got a good GPA...some people are just naturally atheletic no matter how much they abuse their body...if you're anything like me, I'm not naturally athletic either...some people have to train 10 times harder than someone else, doesn't mean you're worse at it than he is...and it doesn't mean he's going to run the race with you...be ABLE to do it, and ACTUALLY doing it are two very different things...be proud of where YOU are and how far you've come..