Weight Fluctuation

Options
Why oh Why does my weight fluctuate so much?

Is it water weight? Should I be drinking more water.

Is it my food choices? Less carbs, less sugar, less everything.

Am I not working out enough? I workout at 30 minutes a day 6 days a week.

Is my calorie counting completely off? Maybe, I estimate amounts most of the time. Thinking of getting a scale.

I see body changes in the last 3 weeks but my weight is going up!

Help!

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Water weight, waste still inside you, ect are all things that can cause weight to fluctuate. The number on the scale is not as important as inches lost.

You should get a food scale, because anything else is guesstimating, and you won't be able to accurately log your intake.

Your workout seems fine, cutting carbs/less sugar/ect will not impact weight loss. It's all about a calorie deficit.

Don't worry. Weight loss isn't linear, and you'll drive yourself bonkers if you overthink it too much.
  • markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Water weight can definitely make the number change. Also are you weighing yourself at the same time every time you weigh in? Weight fluctuates during the day so if you aren't consistent with your weigh in time you might see a change there. Also if your measurements are changing for the better, but your weight is going up it could very well be your body building muscle and getting rid of fat which is good. If your measurements are changing in the right direction there's nothing to worry about. Also, definitely get a food scale. It's good to know the exact amounts of what you're eating instead of guessing. Hope this helps!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Why oh Why does my weight fluctuate so much?

Is it water weight? Should I be drinking more water.

Is it my food choices? Less carbs, less sugar, less everything.

Am I not working out enough? I workout at 30 minutes a day 6 days a week.

Is my calorie counting completely off? Maybe, I estimate amounts most of the time. Thinking of getting a scale.

I see body changes in the last 3 weeks but my weight is going up!

Help!

Hi. Drinking more water can help with water weight. As I have heard once on a documentary (I dont take them seriously but like the way this was phrased)- "fluid pushes fluid".

And in reads in carbs can lead to increased water retention, but it is usually not TOO significant. Unless you have a medical condition, no need to restrict these.

If you just started working out, your body may retain water to repair itself. This should lessen with time.

Your calorie count could be way off if you are not weighing. Do yourself a favor and invest in a scale.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    After high sodium for the past 3 days, and TOM for me, I'm up 4 pounds today. I've tracked my weight daily (I'm on day 166) and have seen the pattern of my fluctuations, so I'm not worried about it. For me if I drink extra water I'll lose the water weight over the next 5-6 days.
  • deemedpriceless
    deemedpriceless Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    After high sodium for the past 3 days, and TOM for me, I'm up 4 pounds today. I've tracked my weight daily (I'm on day 166) and have seen the pattern of my fluctuations, so I'm not worried about it. For me if I drink extra water I'll lose the water weight over the next 5-6 days.
    My body is very similar. TOM PLUS CARBS / Sodium and I am 4-5 lbs. crazy as well. I will be purchasing a scale also. Thanks all.