5:2 Anyone?

Options
k_wills
k_wills Posts: 82 Member
Back on here after a very long break and have decided to try the Fast diet, I've read the book and like the science behind it. I'd love to hear from others doing this, especially to share what you're eating, and what's keeping you feeling full on the fast day's

Karen

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    I did this for a few months and was successful with losing weight, but decided it wasn't right for me long term. I do think its a great protocol for people who deal with short term extreme deprivation (you only have to hold out one day before you can pretty much eat what you fancy) better than long term low level deprivation.

I was always hungry on my fast days, and I quit because I didn't like being preoccupied by food on those days. I would suggest just to embrace the hunger and keep yourself busy and distracted from it. I did enjoy that metallic taste in my mouth that indicates you are in ketosis (metabolizing fat instead of carbs).

I am glad that 5:2 taught me the difference between physical hunger and cravings.
  • zerafa99
    zerafa99 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I started the 5:2 diet on Jan 17th which is 3 weeks this Satirday and have lost 14 pounds! It's briliant. As I have a few stone to lose I decided to fast on alternate days. I make home made soups with fresh, nutritious ingredients like watercress, asparagus etc and just have soup and a slice of toasted 50/50 bread at lunch and dinner. On non fasting days I eat as I please but have reduced my calories to no more than 1,000 per day as I'm under 5 ft tall. I don't feel hungry on this plan either. Today I am not fasting so will have greek low fat Yoghurt with 20g muslei for breakfast, home made cottage pie with roasted Mediterannean veggies and green beans for lunch. Probably a 2 egg omlette for supper. I no longer feel the need fir sweet foods either. I love this plan :-)
    Good luck with yours.
  • meglettuce
    meglettuce Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have just started the 5:2 in January. I am still finding how it works for me but I have already lost about 6lbs after a plateau that lasted 6 months!
    I am fasting on Tuesday and Thursday's and maybe Sunday if I go out on Saturday, so some weeks are 4:3... I eat about 750cals on fast days and 1600 on normal days. I'm finding it easy as I feel a lot more relaxed about food on my normal days and less worried about meals out and over indulging... I feel for the first time I have found a lifestyle that is sustainable! Feel free to add me, I don't have many friends! :smile:
  • pjk2205
    pjk2205 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, i've just started the 5:2 diet. On my 3rd fasting day today. I've found it easier if i don't eat at all until mid to late afternoon. If i eat earlier it seems to kick start my apetite. x
  • soundpressure80
    soundpressure80 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon
    Simple. brilliant
    It's a great feeling being freed from thinking we must eat to lose. Intermittent fasting and working out strategically has produced great results for me

Read the book. Apply the science. Track your calories here.
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've been on the 5:2 for three weeks, and not sure whether it's having any effect yet. I fast Mondays and Thursdays (although they may change depending on other plans during the week). I eat 600 cals a day on fasting days and try to keep to 1200 cals a day non-fasting days. The first time I tried to do the 5:2 diet I ate normally the other days and didn't lose any weight, so was obviously over compensating. This time I calorie count all the time.

I can't say I enjoy it. As another poster says, I do tend to be thinking about food a lot on my fast days. But I'm using it to 'kick me off' so to speak and may reduce to one fast a week after I reach my next weight goal.

My usual method is to split up the day into snacks. So fat free yoghurt and blueberries for breakfast, then a Light Leerdammer and smoked ham roll, then a hard boiled egg, then another ham and cheese roll, then low cal soup for tea. I usually do my gym classes on my fast days and don't have any problems with energy, so I suspect I have enough fat reserves at the mo to tide me over :smiley:

Oh, and I drink a LOT of water!
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    k_wills wrote: »
    share what you're eating, and what's keeping you feeling full on the fast day's

I've been doing it since October (actually switched to 6:1 for maintenance) and think it's fantastic. Also doing a daily schedule of 16:8, leangains style.

On fast days, my tiny little baby meals are hot drinks (coffee, hot chocolate, tea) with a tablespoon of fat in it. Butter or coconut oil. Doesn't poke at my insulin and is very satiating.

The fasting gets easier and easier to more you're acclimated; nowadays it's not difficult at all.

Good luck! Everyone would benefit from at least trying it, I think, to explore the difference between real hunger and blood sugar crashes/"urges"/"cravings".

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Ive been on 5:2 since Dec and love it! I dont have any issues with being hungry on fast days. I tend to hold out until dinner and thrn eat one 500 cal meal.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a while but it wasn't for me. I also tried other variations of IF and not for me either. I found myself irritable, I had acne breakouts, and had a hard time not to binge when food was allowed. I have much better success controlling my calorie intake and keeping it stable every day, all day long. 3 square meals for the win!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    joolsmd wrote: »
    I've been on the 5:2 for three weeks, and not sure whether it's having any effect yet. I fast Mondays and Thursdays (although they may change depending on other plans during the week). I eat 600 cals a day on fasting days and try to keep to 1200 cals a day non-fasting days. The first time I tried to do the 5:2 diet I ate normally the other days and didn't lose any weight, so was obviously over compensating. This time I calorie count all the time.

I can't say I enjoy it. As another poster says, I do tend to be thinking about food a lot on my fast days. But I'm using it to 'kick me off' so to speak and may reduce to one fast a week after I reach my next weight goal.

My usual method is to split up the day into snacks. So fat free yoghurt and blueberries for breakfast, then a Light Leerdammer and smoked ham roll, then a hard boiled egg, then another ham and cheese roll, then low cal soup for tea. I usually do my gym classes on my fast days and don't have any problems with energy, so I suspect I have enough fat reserves at the mo to tide me over :smiley:

Oh, and I drink a LOT of water!

You REALLY shouldn't limit to 1200 calories on feast days. You should eat your tdee. Otherwise you are effectively on two diets, bringing your overall calorie consumption very very low.

For the sake of easy numbers, lets use tge suggested intake of 2000 calories on non fast days. Thats 14000 cals a week to maintain. If you eat 500 on 2 days, thats an automatic defecit of 3000, or 1lb a week. And a weekly consumption od 11000 calories.

If you only eat 1200 on feed days and 500 on fast days, you are only consuming 7000 calories a week, which averages out to only 1000 calories a day. That's a starvation diet. No wonder its hard for you! Your body needs more to survive!
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    You REALLY shouldn't limit to 1200 calories on feast days. You should eat your tdee. Otherwise you are effectively on two diets, bringing your overall calorie consumption very very low.

Agreed. Not to harp on joolsmd in particular, but you'll see this come up frequently. People get hung up/confused by the "eat normally on non-fast days."

"Normally" doesn't mean unregulated (you'll likely binge) or at a deficit (double diet, as per mkakids), it means at maintenance.
  • k_wills
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and useful info. I'm into my 3rd week now and loving it. I've lost 6lb and not feeling hungry!
    I really think it's something I can maintain long term.
  • Curlychip
    Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Ive just started a watered down version where I eat 150 below my TDEE for 5 days and 1000 on the other 2 days.
    I like variety a bit too much to do a standard lower calorie diet reliably without rebelling, and 500 calories seemed too low to start with along with breastfeeding, so Ive made a compromise that mfp says will result in 1lb a week! I think I can maintain that anyway o:)
  • k_wills
    Options
    Sounds interesting..if not a bit confusing!
    Let me know how you go.
  • Curlychip
    Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Will do ;-) Dont know if health benefits related to fast diet will apply still, but Im hoping it should do the job for weight loss anyway!
  • robbiewcc
    robbiewcc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do it on and off, but when I first went on it I lost 14 kilos over 4 or 5 months so very happy. My weight varies easily but I've never done back to near that weight (2 years ago). I eat around 600 cal on fast days so am not strict. I just eat my normal healthy breakfast and dinner, no food between, but I do have coffee with skim milk, and low cal cordial if I want a treat.

I find it super easy and only hungry on the first 2 days. I have never been able to do a diet before as I really can't be bothered with the planning and shopping. My trick is to keep busy over the lunch period - study, clean, garden, shop (but not for food!).
  • gemvicmc
    Options
    I'm starting the 5:2 diet next week although for the first week just doing 6:1 to see how I cope then after that 5:2 , fast days will be Mondays and Wednesday's . X