2»

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Solar_Cat wrote: »
    Good recent article about this:

Science Says FitBit Is a Joke
    Your smartphone is much more accurate and consistent than wearable devices.
    FitBits, FueldBands, and other wearable fitness trackers promised to enhance the health of the wearer by accurately monitoring every step, calorie, and sleep pattern. But, according to a new study published Tuesday in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), the apps on your smartphone do the job just as well, or even better—at least in terms of measuring your steps and your calories.

Interesting article! I am not debating whether the app or the band is more accurate, but I liked this quote from the article. This is how I feel. I don't like to carry my phone with me when I am hiking. I don't have pockets and it's usually in my bag I take with me, which means it won't be as accurate...which is where the fitbit comes in. :)
    "Smartphones may be harder to carry with more vigorous activity such as running or biking, and that might be one reason an individual chooses to use a wearable device," explains Patel, pointing to an obvious objection for people who might reject smartphones as fitness trackers.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Fit bit (force) helped to motivate and get moving. I enjoy it when I hit 10000 steps before the sun comes up. Yo can do most of its functions with a smart phone if its too pricey but I have enjoyed mine.
  • disneygirl626
    disneygirl626 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Interesting, as I've found my phone tracks thousands more steps than my fitbit and I had been wondering which is more accurate. However I would rather track low than high while losing weight.

Troutsy wrote: »

FitBits, FueldBands, and other wearable fitness trackers promised to enhance the health of the wearer by accurately monitoring every step, calorie, and sleep pattern. But, according to a new study published Tuesday in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), the apps on your smartphone do the job just as well, or even better—at least in terms of measuring your steps and your calories.

Interesting article! I am not debating whether the app or the band is more accurate, but I liked this quote from the article. This is how I feel. I don't like to carry my phone with me when I am hiking. I don't have pockets and it's usually in my bag I take with me, which means it won't be as accurate...which is where the fitbit comes in. :)
    "Smartphones may be harder to carry with more vigorous activity such as running or biking, and that might be one reason an individual chooses to use a wearable device," explains Patel, pointing to an obvious objection for people who might reject smartphones as fitness trackers.

• AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    You pay for what you get. want a cheaper unit, you'll get a cheaper unit. just sayin.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    bought my Zip on eBay for around $30. Worked well, although I did have a battery issue with it, but it seemed to be a widespread problem among some Zip users, so don't think it was because it was an eBay purchase. Hubby bought me a One for Christmas, so I willed my Zip to my daughter, and she has had no issues with it so far.

Bought my mother-in-law a Zip at Target when they had them on sale, used my Red card for 5% off, plus gift cards that I often pick up when they have their "buy three get a $5 gift card" promotions.

Shop around online, watch for sales at places like Kohl's where you can get their 30% off coupons on top of that. There are deals to be had.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Interesting, as I've found my phone tracks thousands more steps than my fitbit and I had been wondering which is more accurate. However I would rather track low than high while losing weight.

Troutsy wrote: »

It may boil down to the phone and which app is being used. I don't always have my phone on me. I like to disconnect every now and have a breather away from work being able to contact me so using a phone wouldn't work for me.
  • MinnesotaNice507
    MinnesotaNice507 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I bought my FitBit one on eBay for $60 in 2013 and have had no problems. I do walk a lot so for me it was worth it.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    katdav2014 wrote: »
    As kyleerininger22 said, look on ebay, i got mine cheaper on there. :smile:

Yep. I got my Charge HR cheaper on ebay and I'm totally satisfied. Just make sure that the seller has a decent history and good feedback and you shouldn't have any problems.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options

Not everyone has or wants a smartphone. I love my Nokia and have no plans to change it. I'd rather spend £100 on a fitness tracker that will last for some time, than £600 on a phone that will be virtually obsolete in a year or two.
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    You pay for what you get. want a cheaper unit, you'll get a cheaper unit. just sayin.

Yep.
  • punkiee
    punkiee Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ATT has fitbits for 20% if you order online by the 19th of February. Use promo code FITBIT15
  • makelemonade14
    makelemonade14 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The misfit and jawbine are newer, less expensive options depending on the features you want.

I have a fitbit flex and it's been worth it for me. It gives me a general idea of my activity level from day to day, and factors into my food decisions. Eventually I will move to maintenance and have a much better ideas of calories in vs out without the gadgets and consent food logging. Theoretically.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't walk around wearing my phone when I'm cleaning house, cooking or generally cleaning, often wearing my pajamas or some workout shorts with no pocket. My fitbit was the best investment I've ever made in keeping me moving. My Ultra lasted over 2.5 years, which was a pretty good $85 investment. Fitbit replaced it once, giving me a complimentary replacement for the one my dog ate. In the end, you get what you pay for.
  • 135by60
    135by60 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I bought the Misfit Flash a few weeks ago for $50 and I love it. I've heard some people have lost it out of the wristband but I only use the clip and it's all good. It's waterproof to 30m which is good as I plan to start swimming laps in a few months. I clip it on as soon as I get up in the morning and take it off at bedtime. It syncs with MFP although it took me awhile to figure out how that all works. It has made a huge difference in my activity level and I have the app on my mobile, my ipad, my PC and my Mac. Love it!
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options

It's a joke, alright. It's a couple of jokes.

The first joke is getting your science news from Mother Jones.

The second joke is running activity tracker/ pedometer comparison tests on a treadmill. If they had known anything about activity trackers they'd know that many of them, such as a Fitbit, have an accelerometer in them detecting motion through space in three dimensions. Treadmills can be problematic because the user is not moving forward, backward, or side to side. It's a vertical motion only.

This is from the linked article in EurekAlert:

Each of the study participants, all healthy adults recruited at Penn, had the following devices on during the treadmill trials:

Waistband: one pedometer and two accelerometers

Wrists: three wearable devices

Pants pockets: two smartphones, one running three apps and the other running one

At the end of each trial, step counts from each device were recorded. The data from the smartphones were only slightly different than the observed step counts (with a range of -6.7 to 6.2 percent relative difference in mean step count), but the data from the wearable devices differed more (with a range of -22.7 to -1.5 percent).

Note that the phones measured an error span of 12.9%, from 6.7% too few steps to 6.2% too many steps. The activity trackers measured an error span of 21.2%, from 22.7% too few steps to 1.5% too few steps. The activity trackers recorded too few steps. In part, because they were tested on a treadmill!

This is bad science.