Help please

Options
I'm 5'7" and 160 pounds. I want to be tone and maybe 130. I was thinking about dipping into vegetarianism. For a motivator and a new lifestyle. Will this help? Just eating fruits and veggies. Any Advice? For exercising? Spring break and summer is right around the corner. I want to be in a bathing suit. Also, will hot yoga be beneficial. It's in my town and I thought about trying it.

Replies

• int3rpo1
    Options
    Not really necessary. Count calories instead. If you want to be toned, well, start lifting weights or doing bodyweight exercises. =)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Being a vegetarian does not guarantee weight loss. I know several very overweight vegetarians. Figure out an estimate of how many calories you burn per day, eat less than that. That's all you have to do.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    No, that won't help. Most of my excess weight came from eating stuff that a vegetarian would've eaten. Meat is good for you; eat it.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    BaconWeaveDoubleCheeseburger4.jpg

I would never be able to since I'd miss these too much lol.
  • ariyana18
    ariyana18 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Hahaha, that's hilarious
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is what matters to lose weight
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    ariyana18 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »

Hahaha, that's hilarious

Lol. It's amazing!!! But definately nick named "the clog your arteries" special lol.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Going vegetarian works for many people but is a huge lifestyle change for us omnivores. If you are wanting to get fit and lose weight, you would be better off eating what you have been but less of it.

Counting calories works.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Yep count calories.

I know several vegetarians/vegans that have steadily gained weight.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You need protein - just eating fruits and veggies isn't going to get you enough of what you need.

I know at least a couple fat vegetarians so it takes more than that to lose weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ariyana18 wrote: »
    I'm 5'7" and 160 pounds. I want to be tone and maybe 130. I was thinking about dipping into vegetarianism. For a motivator and a new lifestyle. Will this help? Just eating fruits and veggies. Any Advice? For exercising? Spring break and summer is right around the corner. I want to be in a bathing suit. Also, will hot yoga be beneficial. It's in my town and I thought about trying it.

The only reason to ever turn vegetarian is because you have a strong ethical belief ...it is not something you dip into or take lightly

Count your calories and lift heavy
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I know two lifetime vegetarians, both are lacking definition and are overweight. I am sure some people look amazing while avoiding meat but I think one should focus on eating at deficit first, if your main purpose is to lose weight. Adding the vegetarian clause will make it trickier and may be too much of a change. You do want to make this a lifestyle not a trendy decision made on a whim (not that I know how much thought you have given this!)

If ethics are a Major part of your decision, that is a different story! Then by all means make sure you fill in the missing proteins and have at it. I tried, didn't last a month....was just too tough to do for me in my family dynamics :)