Talk to me about protein shakes

Options
Hello. I started working two weeks ago. Currently I'm on week two of couch to 5k and will be adding in two days of kettlebell workouts. I have various protein shakes but I don't know if I should be drinking them with the type of workouts I do. If I should be drinking them, what kind do you recommend? Any advice would be appreciated since I know nothing about protein shakes. I'm a female have about 90 lbs to lose and don't want to be bulky. Thanks.

Replies

• int3rpo1
    int3rpo1 Posts: 17
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Various protein shakes? What kind do you have? Also you won't get "bulky" unless you start to do some serious lifting. Do expect confusion in your weight though. Kettleball workouts will likely add muscle to you body, which is relatively heavy.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    int3rpo1 wrote: »
    Various protein shakes? What kind do you have? Also you won't get "bulky" unless you start to do some serious lifting. Do expect confusion in your weight though. Kettleball workouts will likely add muscle to you body, which is relatively heavy.

Not in calorie deficit. OP, put "getting bulky" aside for a moment. This will not happen if you're trying to lose fat.

Protein shakes help you hit your protein goal. If you are putting a lot of "stuff" in them, and not weighing everything, it's possible that they will not fit into your calorie deficit for the day, and weight loss will stall. Now, if you want a 600+ shake and it fits into your day, fine.

I personally choose one scoop of protein in water because I like to chew my calories.
  • int3rpo1
    Options
    Considering she has 90 pounds to lose, sure, she'll probably see way more loss than anything else. But adding muscle does equal a gain of weight. At least in my experience. However, I lift for the goal of muscle gainzz. If she's just doing kettleball for high heart rate/weight loss, maybe she won't see any weight gain.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Unless you are putting in an intense workout of an hour or more, you probably don't need them at all. Even if you are, you can probably get the protein you need from normal food.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Considering she has 90 pounds to lose, sure, she'll probably see way more loss than anything else. But adding muscle does equal a gain of weight. At least in my experience. However, I lift for the goal of muscle gainzz. If she's just doing kettleball for high heart rate/weight loss, maybe she won't see any weight gain.

She will not. You need to be in a calorie surplus. With that much weight to lose, it's possible she will have minuscule newbie gains, but nothing that would make the scale go up or even stall weight loss.
  • int3rpo1
    Options
    We'll just agree to disagree here. I've been in a caloric deficit and seen weight gain through muscle, where my clothes all seemed to fit more loose but my scale seemed to be very slowly and steadily climbing. Not trying to mislead anyone, just sharing my experience. =)
  • arditarose
    Options
    We'll just agree to disagree here. I've been in a caloric deficit and seen weight gain through muscle, where my clothes all seemed to fit more loose but my scale seemed to be very slowly and steadily climbing. Not trying to mislead anyone, just sharing my experience. =)

How big is your deficit?
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    A protein shake is just a quick and convenient way to get a lot of protein. If you can get all the protein you need from just food, there is no reason to drink a shake. Shakes themselves won't make you bulky. Being in a large calorie surplus while lifting a lot of heavy weight MAY give you some bulk. Now, since you have 90lbs to lose you might think you are getting bulky as you lose body fat, but this is just the muscle you already have "showing" itself more.
  • CaptAwesome77
    CaptAwesome77 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Quick answer... Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard. It's a relatively inexpensive protein powder, most of the flavors taste good (I'm partial to the chocolate) and it's a solid amount of protein to sugar/fat/calorie ratio. They're pretty good protein sources as well. You can get higher quality proteins on the market, and likely better tasting ones (I'm looking at you here, Syntha 6) but for the $ you can't beat the ON 100%. If you're watching carbs, maybe look to Isopure, though it doesn't mix as well in my opinion in a shaker bottle. I'd use it as muscle recovery for you, 1 scoop after a workout, since you're not looking for any sort of extreme muscle gains here.
  • wasilko
    wasilko Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You need to figure out your calorie deficit needed to lose an average 2 pounds a week. I found for me high protein and high fat (healthy fats, nuts etc.) with low carbs works best for me. Everyone's body is different and sometimes you have to try different macro breakdown and see what works for you. When I want something sweet and high protein a shake helps the cravings. Silk unsweetened almond milk is great for that and unflavored gelatin can add more protein w/o carbs. Either way don't make the diet about protein shakes no matter how you look at it it's still processed and you are always better off with real food. Good luck any protein shake in moderation won't hurt you.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are just food. Like any other food, they can be fine if they fit in your calorie and macro goals, or not fine if they don't.

If you're trying to get more protein into your day and struggling to do so via food, protein shakes can help you do that. But if you're getting enough of protein via food, there's no need for supplements whether you're working out or not.
  • KrisAZ000
    KrisAZ000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My coworkers and I all drink the Premier Protein shakes. You can get them at Costco for the best deal, but Walgreens has them too. They are 160 calories each with 30 grams of protein. They taste pretty good too, and are low carb and low sugar. My main reason for drinking them is that I have a hard time getting enough protein from food. I don't care for a lot of meat, so the shakes help me out.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    are you lacking in protein? if yes drink them, if no dont.
  • int3rpo1
    Options
    My deficit at the time was something between 200-350 calories. No cardio, only heavy lifting.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Relative to what exactly?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    when you are lifting weights or doing any exercise you can retain water which can make the scale numbers go up.even though you may be losing inches and fat.The more I lift the more water I seem to retain which does show on the scale but its not muscle that much I do know. I lift heavy too and have never bulked up while in a deficit. it takes a woman a lot longer to build the muscle than it would a man,a woman also wont bulk like a man either because we dont have the testosterone a man has
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

If your weight is steadily climbing you're not in a calorie deficit.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Op I like protein shakes as they are a low cal cheap way to help me hit my protein goal.

I like them mixed with spinach and fruit in the morning. I also use optimum protein, I like rocky road and mint chocolate just with milk. Double chocolate with raspberries.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are just a supplement...they're great if you have trouble hitting your protein goals...but they don't have any magical properties.
  • Linville10
    Linville10 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I know I have a whey protein shake and a couple other tubs of shakes that my husband has bought at one time or another. I'm doing kettlebell workouts to lose weight and tone my muscles. I have my settings at losing 2 lbs a week so I'm allowed 1200 calories.