Talk to me about protein shakes

Options

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Linville10 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. I know I have a whey protein shake and a couple other tubs of shakes that my husband has bought at one time or another. I'm doing kettlebell workouts to lose weight and tone my muscles. I have my settings at losing 2 lbs a week so I'm allowed 1200 calories.

Are you eating back some of your exercise calories as you should be.
  • my3kicks
    Options
    Let me know you are doing I'm in the same boat good luck to you
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    int3rpo1 wrote: »
    We'll just agree to disagree here. I've been in a caloric deficit and seen weight gain through muscle, where my clothes all seemed to fit more loose but my scale seemed to be very slowly and steadily climbing. Not trying to mislead anyone, just sharing my experience. =)

Mathematically, that should be possible. Fat has 3500 calories per pound while muscle has 800 calories per pound. If you are building muscle while eating at a deficit, the weight of the muscle built from a smaller number of calories could exceed the weight of the fat lost. However, possible and likely are two different things.

• Linville10
    Linville10 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    @Iron_Feline, I usually don't eat every calorie back. I usually eat about 50-80% of them back but there have been a couple days where I'm starving and do eat all of them, but that's not very often. My workout/nutrition knowledge is very minimal and I never know if I should eat back the calories burned or not.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    @Iron_Feline, I usually don't eat every calorie back. I usually eat about 50-80% of them back but there have been a couple days where I'm starving and do eat all of them, but that's not very often. My workout/nutrition knowledge is very minimal and I never know if I should eat back the calories burned or not.

That sound like a good plan. And if you discover you're losing too fast or slow after a few weeks you can adjust accordingly.

Good luck.
  • Linville10
    Linville10 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks Iron_Feline.
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    without going through all the replays (and I apologise if ive quoted someone else)
    It will simply help you recover quicker. Mix it with water to keep the calories down and you cant loose
  • int3rpo1
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Various protein shakes? What kind do you have? Also you won't get "bulky" unless you start to do some serious lifting. Do expect confusion in your weight though. Kettleball workouts will likely add muscle to you body, which is relatively heavy.

Relative to what exactly?

Ah, I phrased that stupidly. I meant to say that 20 pounds of muscle and 20 pounds of fat look the same on a scale, but highly different on a body.
  • int3rpo1
    Options
    And I could be wrong, maybe it was water weight. All I know is that the scale was rising and I was in a deficit. Not complaining or anything, I was looking and feeling great.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Various protein shakes? What kind do you have? Also you won't get "bulky" unless you start to do some serious lifting. Do expect confusion in your weight though. Kettleball workouts will likely add muscle to you body, which is relatively heavy.

NO. With the exception of newbie gains, one does not build muscle in a deficit.
  • int3rpo1
    Options
    Could've been newbie gainzz, entirely possible.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

It's actually the only possibility.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Noob juice
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    That's 3!! What's going on?! You guys had a protein special on Doc Oz or something?

(Sorry OP, you've had good advice already, I'm just shocked at all the protein threads)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    That's 3!! What's going on?! You guys had a protein special on Doc Oz or something?

(Sorry OP, you've had good advice already, I'm just shocked at all the protein threads)

That's what I'm sayin! And I respond to all of them ha.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Hello. I started working two weeks ago. Currently I'm on week two of couch to 5k and will be adding in two days of kettlebell workouts. I have various protein shakes but I don't know if I should be drinking them with the type of workouts I do. If I should be drinking them, what kind do you recommend? Any advice would be appreciated since I know nothing about protein shakes. I'm a female have about 90 lbs to lose and don't want to be bulky. Thanks.

This workout routine does not *need* protein shakes. Just make sure you are eating foods with a decent amount of protein. You are better off eating your calories in the long run. You also won't get bulky from this routine no matter how much protein you eat.

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    3laine75 wrote: »

That's what I'm sayin! And I respond to all of them ha.

I'm stopping and going to bed - I'm going to end up getting called 'mean' =D

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree. There must of been a show on protein shakes very recently.....
    Please let it be NOT Dr Oz.....
  • int3rpo1
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

It's actually the only possibility.

Ok. Thanks.
  • sarika61
    Options
    No protein shakes at all. Just eat sensible diet of lean protein in meat, fish, chicken, eggs, etc. Plus fruits amd veggies and a little complex carbs, according to your daily calorie limit. Protein shakes are a weight gain tool, and you are overweight.