Losing 10 pounds is Hard to Do!

Options
I am looking to find motivators who understand those that only have 10 - 15 pounds to lose. Looking for motivators who already eat fairly healthy and already don't buy/stock candy, cookies, potato chips, etc. I usually have done this on my own; however, after last year & working so hard, I have the desire, but have realized that I need help with motivation/accountability from people who will not give "cliche" motivation tips.

I am turning 50 this year, no children. Currently, my work schedule only allows me to get up at 4:00 am to exercise - however, it is affecting my job to get up that early. Last year, I lost the 10 lbs, but it took so much work, took over 6 months, and was discouraging. Especially, when people around say "you don't need to lose weight", or "all you have to do is quit eating this or that" (something I already don't eat). These are people the same people that usually just cut out their cokes and potato chips and they do lose 10 pounds.

Weight runs on both sides of my family, along with the risk of weight-related diseases, so I want to keep my weight down. I am one of those that just has to see food & the calories jump on :smiley: Will be retiring within the year; however, do not want to wait.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Actually it is not as hard as you are making out to be. I've done it and so have a lot of others. I am soon to be 55 and took me nearly 4 months. Eat a calorie deficit, add a little exercise and have some patience.
  • corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    ^ that. Losing weight is hard, but it's also incredibly simple. Patience is key.
  • Optimistyc
    Optimistyc Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Before criticizing me with "it is not as hard as you making out to be", it would be more beneficial to understand what I did last year to lose that 10 pounds. I did work with a trainer, one who also followed my diet.
  • Shbamaholic
    Options
    Add me:) im new and would lovd motivation just to be healthy! I don't eat nuts or crips etc so I'm pretty good already!
  • tracetraceau
    tracetraceau Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I dont have time for walks or weather is bad I do my steps in the house from my front door to back of house is approx 30 steps, so Ill either turn on a music channel on tv ( not tv shows or that will distract me) or get my s4 phone and plug in my ear buds turn on my spotify music app and just hitting those steps listening to music I love and the music keeps me motivated !
  • carolinagamecock
    carolinagamecock Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have noticed a huge difference upping my water intake. If you haven't tried that consistently it really helps. Add a mio (the flavor things you can buy just about anywhere) if you don't like a lot of water. Also at least 16 oz water as soon as you wake up (within the first hour and before breakfast) is proven to help. Also hot green tea helps and chia seeds.

Hope that helps :)
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Hrm, you seem to be putting a lot of limits on the people you want to help motivate you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It IS harder. In part because when you have very little to lose, the window is so much smaller. The margin of error is smaller when you have very little to lose. It can also be challenging during midlife, during all the hormonal shifts and what not.
    I'm 49 and in maintenance, which is also a bit challenging in menopause.

See if this resonates. It did with me. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/737101/relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner/p1
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Optimistyc wrote: »
    Before criticizing me with "it is not as hard as you making out to be", it would be more beneficial to understand what I did last year to lose that 10 pounds. I did work with a trainer, one who also followed my diet.

I'm not criticizing you in anyway:(
  • Optimistyc
    Options
    Add me:) im new and would lovd motivation just to be healthy! I don't eat nuts or crips etc so I'm pretty good already!

Thank you - I am new to using discussion groups, but I have friends who have said it works! I appreciate the opportunity to help motivate & to be motivated!
  • Optimistyc
    Options
    When I dont have time for walks or weather is bad I do my steps in the house from my front door to back of house is approx 30 steps, so Ill either turn on a music channel on tv ( not tv shows or that will distract me) or get my s4 phone and plug in my ear buds turn on my spotify music app and just hitting those steps listening to music I love and the music keeps me motivated !

Good Idea! Thank you :smile:
  • Optimistyc
    Options
    I have noticed a huge difference upping my water intake. If you haven't tried that consistently it really helps. Add a mio (the flavor things you can buy just about anywhere) if you don't like a lot of water. Also at least 16 oz water as soon as you wake up (within the first hour and before breakfast) is proven to help. Also hot green tea helps and chia seeds.

Yes, I just started working on increasing my water. Still not very good with that, but I will keep up the practice. Thank you also for the tip on green tea & chia seeds. Can you expand on the benefits? Usually, when something makes sense, it is easier for me to incorporate it into my lifestyle.

Thank you again,
  • Optimistyc
    Options
    It IS harder. In part because when you have very little to lose, the window is so much smaller. The margin of error is smaller when you have very little to lose. It can also be challenging during midlife, during all the hormonal shifts and what not.
    I'm 49 and in maintenance, which is also a bit challenging in menopause.

See if this resonates. It did with me. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/737101/relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner/p1

Thank you - I appreciate the affirmation that it is harder. I read the post that you recommended - thank you! It does make sense. Yes, I am 49 & will turn 50 this year & my body has not decided what it wants to do - lol. Thank you again for the encouragement!
  • TUCK2015
    Options

This^^^^^
  • Optimistyc
    Options
    Hrm, you seem to be putting a lot of limits on the people you want to help motivate you.

I don't see it as "a lot of limits" - I see it as I know what I need. Besides, how can one post, and that being my very first post, already constitute putting a lot of limits on other people.
  • ishepelska
    ishepelska Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is hard when you're already within your healthy weight range. Even for a someone who is much younger and naturally light. You've got to be stubborn to achieve it :).
    What kind of workouts are you doing? Have you tried increasing your workout intensity? High intensity training or interval training is usually very effective for losing that last layer of fat. In any case, it is advisable to mix things up and keep your body guessing what you might do to it next.
  • gwayby
    gwayby Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hey Misty, I'm 28 but working towards the same goal as you. Had about 15 pounds to lose, and I'm down 11 already. My diary is open for inspiration, and I usually go through my feed and comment once or twice a day. Congrats on the retirement this year -- I can't wait for mine (that's partially why I've started paying attention to my health, I want to travel the world and I need to be in good enough shape to do it!). Feel free to add me :smile:
  • Elliehmltn
    Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Phooey, I wrote a comment but it's not here; I must have hit "Preview" instead of "Post Reply" and then thought I was done. Anyway, regarding changing her workouts, Optimistyc pointed out in her OP that one of her difficulties is a work schedule that doesn't permit structured training sessions at a reasonable time of day. But little 60-second "workouts" once or twice an hour can add up over the day to half an hour or more. Walk somewhere if you can; do little things like toe-tapping or heel-raises for 60 seconds uninterrupted (before anyone says that's not much, try it for 60 seconds without stopping.) Suck your stomach in hard and hold it for 60 seconds. As for losing just 10 pounds or so, yes, it's hard: Our calorie requirements are lower to begin with, and even small excesses can quickly slow or stall weight loss or result in a discouraging gain.