I'm loseing #s, should I exercise too?

Options
I've been able to lose 25#, in a month and half, with just logging! Was wondering if I should wait until the loss slows before I add in a lot of exercise?
I'm 46 and am at 372 now, and I'm not afraid of exercise. I've completed P90x in the past and have lifted off and on my while life!
My thought is that if I start training hard now with the calorie reduction, I don't have much to add when a stall happens!

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Do what you can handle for exercise. Calorie deficits are for weight loss, and exercise is for health and supplementing a deficit.

Weight loss isn't linear, so stalls may happen anyways. Exercise within reason, make sure you are logging a good amount of calories per day, and keep your deficit. You will be fine.

I've been exercising since I began, and I have nearly 30lbs gone by combining the two.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Lifting earlier rather than later, helps to maintain muscle mass while losing. Cardio, is good for your heart. Both, will help to increase the deficit you have and allow you to eat more.
  • missiontofitness
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Lifting earlier rather than later, helps to maintain muscle mass while losing. Cardio, is good for your heart. Both, will help to increase the deficit you have and allow you to eat more.

This.
    Sometimes I get to eat all the ice cream, and it's awesome.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lifting earlier rather than later, helps to maintain muscle mass while losing. Cardio, is good for your heart. Both, will help to increase the deficit you have and allow you two eat more.

This.

Only if there are brownies with it!
  • mwm158
    mwm158 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I was 380 I started hitting the treadmill hard. By 330, my feet were in so much pain I could barely walk. I'm at 265 now, and my feet are no better. I swim now. Anyway, if you do decide to do something, make sure you take into account the kind of stresses you'll be putting on your body.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Lifting earlier rather than later, helps to maintain muscle mass while losing. Cardio, is good for your heart. Both, will help to increase the deficit you have and allow you two eat more.

This.

Only if there are brownies with it!

I have a box of mix sitting in my cabinet, and I'm waiting for a good day to break it out. I think I need to get some ice cream soon...
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You need to exercise for heart health, brain health, bone density and all kinds of general health reasons. Building muscle will help support your weight loss and leave you looking better when you reach your goal.

Do it! Even a little bit of walking is a great place to start. At my highest weight, I found that swimming was a good exercise--very gentle, no sweating and very little chance of injury.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    There's no need to be "all or nothing". Add in a little exercise if you want to, or if you want to eat more. Exercise is great, but whatever makes it fun, easy (ish) and sustainable for you is the right answer.

Great job, keep it up!
  • BigdogEMT
    BigdogEMT Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! It all make sense, I'm just trying to make sure that this is going to be a lasting change!