Too good to be true!!?

Options
started doing the calorie counter today and mine worked out at 1300 calories and I feel like I've eaten loads I don't want anything else and I have 400 Cals left and it's saying I've not eaten enough!!

Can I honestly eat what I want as long as I stay within my given calories per day! It feels too good to be true surely!!?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yes, the mfp way works :smile: eat up those extra cals and enjoy :smiley:
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can eat whatever as long as you stay within your calorie limits.

However, if you are feeling like you have eaten loads on less than 1300 calories, there could be a chance you are eating more than you think. May not be the case, but make sure you are weighing your food and logging every single thing you consume.
  • emmaprov2015
    emmaprov2015 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have logged everything had some 98 cal crisps which I suppose isen't that bad to be fair! It's because I had loads of veg!

I only ask as I am a really really fussy eater and tend to live out of the freezer into the microwave so what can be classed as u healthy food but within my calories does this still work..?

• mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight eating cookies every night. I just can't eat half a box, and have to stick to a single serving. So it does work as long as you stay within your limits. You will end up eating less food if you are eating foods higher in calories, but if they are foods that you like and it works for you then go for it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    started doing the calorie counter today and mine worked out at 1300 calories and I feel like I've eaten loads I don't want anything else and I have 400 Cals left and it's saying I've not eaten enough!!

Can I honestly eat what I want as long as I stay within my given calories per day! It feels too good to be true surely!!?

Yes, absolutely, as to weight loss- calories in/calories out. However, you might find that paying attention to your macros helps meet nutritional needs, satiety, and energy. But, it really is calories in/calories out for weight loss.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Yep.
    Today, I missed most of my planned breakfast. I got myself up to my calorie goal by having some M&Ms which fit my goal for the day, and also gave me an extra 200 calorie boost.

CICO. Doesn't matter where they come from, all that matters is getting them in, eating your calorie goal, and staying in a deficit.
  • emmaprov2015
    Options
    mom2ava07 wrote: »
    I'm losing weight eating cookies every night. I just can't eat half a box, and have to stick to a single serving. So it does work as long as you stay within your limits. You will end up eating less food if you are eating foods higher in calories, but if they are foods that you like and it works for you then go for it.
    Yep.
    Today, I missed most of my planned breakfast. I got myself up to my calorie goal by having some M&Ms which fit my goal for the day, and also gave me an extra 200 calorie boost.

CICO. Doesn't matter where they come from, all that matters is getting them in, eating your calorie goal, and staying in a deficit.

Wow! I was sat trying to think Christ what else could I have for 300 Cals!!! It doesn't let you complete your day properly if you don't have all the calories needed does it?

It honestly seems too good to be true I don't know why I've never tried this before!

I feel like I'm doing something wrong! But I can't be because everything I have had I have weighed out and counted or its come straight from a packet and I have scanned it in!!

I'm amazed I really am! Have you guys done well so far?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    mom2ava07 wrote: »
    Yep.

Wow! I was sat trying to think Christ what else could I have for 300 Cals!!! It doesn't let you complete your day properly if you don't have all the calories needed does it?

It honestly seems too good to be true I don't know why I've never tried this before!

I feel like I'm doing something wrong! But I can't be because everything I have had I have weighed out and counted or its come straight from a packet and I have scanned it in!!

I'm amazed I really am! Have you guys done well so far?

It will let you close out your diary, but if your calorie goal is too low, it will not show you your 5 week projection, and give you a notification warning you that you are eating too little.

I have done well. I'm closing in to 1 year of logging in/logging food, and I am nearly 30lbs done. I eat anything I want, but make it fit into my goals.

For example, I ate 8 Pillsbury cookies yesterday. No regrets. Ate at maintenance yesterday (I fluctuate between a deficit and maintenance calories now, since I'm so close to my goal and want to take it slow), but I approach this like Tim Gunn, and "make it work".

• emmaprov2015
    Options

It will let you close out your diary, but if your calorie goal is too low, it will not show you your 5 week projection, and give you a notification warning you that you are eating too little.

I have done well. I'm closing in to 1 year of logging in/logging food, and I am nearly 30lbs done. I eat anything I want, but make it fit into my goals.

For example, I ate 8 Pillsbury cookies yesterday. No regrets. Ate at maintenance yesterday (I fluctuate between a deficit and maintenance calories now, since I'm so close to my goal and want to take it slow), but I approach this like Tim Gunn, and "make it work".

[/quote]

WOW! I think it's amazing!!! I hope I get good results I only want to lose 14lbs!!! Or would like to lose more than a stone!

So if I haven't had enough calories I can't just top it up with something in the cupboard like a biscuit? Just hope I counted all my veg and things right!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

So if I haven't had enough calories I can't just top it up with something in the cupboard like a biscuit? Just hope I counted all my veg and things right!

Yes. But keep in mind that if you're just estimating portions, guessing at how much you ate, you could be eating more than you realize. It happens A LOT here. I would say go ahead and have the cookie/biscuit or whatever. If it works, then good, you're counting calorie correctly. If not, then you have to figure out where you've been off and cut back.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    As long your serving sizes are right your good to go :)

Weigh EVERY solid food and measure all your liquids.

76145189.png
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter!
  • toniwarren95
    toniwarren95 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It is not just as simple as calories in/calories out. Yes, that may be the bulk of it, but consuming too much fat and sugar will not help you lose weight. Your body will store all of that fat and sugar if you do not use it up.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    It is not just as simple as calories in/calories out. Yes, that may be the bulk of it, but consuming too much fat and sugar will not help you lose weight. Your body will store all of that fat and sugar if you do not use it up.

No.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

I was going to bold the last statement and suggest you disregard it, but really... just disregard the entire post. Calories in, calories out. Period. Sugar and fat are not magically going to cause you to gain weight or fail to lose weight--unless you're consuming enough of those things to move from being in a deficit to being at maintenance or a surplus.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

No, calories in vs. calories out.
  • soygorda18
    soygorda18 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It tends to give me the "you're not eating enough" message if it's under 1000 calories for the whole day...but then again, everyone's different. I say eat it and enjoy :wink:
  • MariettaDelene
    MariettaDelene Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I want to present a different situation from incorrectly guessing or weighing food: Perhaps your metabolism is used to eating less and that's why 1300 calories feels like so much. I know my mom (starting weight 380 lbs) spent most of her days consuming between 800 and 1000 calories all in one meal of fast food. She'd slowed her metabolism to nothing more than a snail's crawl. It was definitely a change for her trying to eat 1200-1400 calories a day, particularly in healthy foods. She thought it would make her gain weight, but it actually sped up her metabolism and she began shedding the pounds very quickly.

I have the opposite problem. I'm a binge eater. So 1300 calories never feels like enough, even in healthy foods. But if you're a low-cal eater naturally, 1300 calories can seem like a huge load. You'll need to eat all of them to get your metabolism up to speed!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - are you using a food scale to weigh all your solid foods?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

totally ridiculous and NO ….