Lost 10 pounds...and neck measurement hasn't changed?

Options
Hi everyone: Since I started MFP this past October, I've lost 10 pounds, which is great. I have lost 3" off my waist, 2.5" off my hips and ~2" off my chest (read: boobs)...however, my neck measurement started off at 12" and it hasn't budged an inch. Could it be that I'm measuring it at the wrong part of the neck? Or is it too early to notice a change in neck measurements?

I'd appreciate any insight you have. Thanks!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Everybody loses differently so there's no standard rate of loss for any body part. Plus, your neck is pretty small already so you might not have much to lose there.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Fat leaves where it wants to leave. Be patient, young grasshopper.
  • fivelongmiles
    fivelongmiles Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was measured for various costumes 30lbs heavier than I am now and 10lbs lighter than I am now - basically, over a 40lb range - and my neck measurement has never changed.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Mine doesn't change much. And your neck is already quite slender. You might not have excess fat there.
  • soygorda18
    soygorda18 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Everybody loses differently so there's no standard rate of loss for any body part. Plus, your neck is pretty small already so you might not have much to lose there.

Sounds good. So 12" = "slender," huh? Never knew that. Anyone know what's the upper limit of "acceptable" re: neck measurements?
  • jemhh
    Options

Sounds good. So 12" = "slender," huh? Never knew that. Anyone know what's the upper limit of "acceptable" re: neck measurements?

My neck is 14.375" and I don't consider it to be large. That is what I'm basing my comment on. I mean, if you are 3'10" maybe a 12" neck is large but for most adults I don't think it would be.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

My neck is 14.5 inches. I have lost 90 pounds. My neck is not fat at all--in fact, I don't think it ever was, though this is the first time I have measured.

Why the neck obsession? If it holds your head up, it's probably acceptable.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Fat leaves where it wants to leave. Be patient, young grasshopper.
    This!
  • jemhh
    Options

My neck is 14.5 inches. I have lost 90 pounds. My neck is not fat at all--in fact, I don't think it ever was, though this is the first time I have measured.

Why the neck obsession? If it holds your head up, it's probably acceptable.

Lol. I just asked my husband if my neck is acceptable and he looked at me like "wha???"
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    For some reason I have never measured my neck and you guys inspired me. 12.5...I wish I had done it before weight loss. Another interesting piece of data.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I have a 14.5" neck, apparently. I never thought I had a large neck.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40lbs and I don't think my neck changed at all....but I never really had fat there....people collect fat in different areas and fat leaves from where it wants to, not where you want it to. Celebrate the other measurements and keep working hard!
  • shellall123
    shellall123 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Interesting... I have to go measure my neck now
  • arditarose
    Options
    10 pound loss with three inches off the waist is NICE work/good luck :)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I have a 14.5" neck, apparently. I never thought I had a large neck.

I don't know that you do. Mine is the same size--I don't have a problem finding necklaces to fit or anything.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Great, now this thread makes me want to measure my neck.
  • arditarose
    Options

Do it!
  • missiontofitness
    Options

It's 12 inches around.
    Why did I just do that.

• jemhh
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    10 pound loss with three inches off the waist is NICE work/good luck :)

Seriously. I'm kind of jealous :(:)
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Do it!

I GAVE IN TO PEER PRESSURE.