How to stay on track with workouts and diets? (HELP College struggles!!!)

Options
So unfortunately I have gained a lot more weight being in college and all the bad choices around me that brought down my fitness levels and somewhat healthy eating along with it. Making me go from my original 17lbs to my goal weight to 45 lbs. And I've been trying to get back on track since the summer but every time I start working out again I always end up stopping less than 2 weeks because something school wise has come up. I really want to lose this weight cuz I'm tired of losing and gaining back all the progress I made. Most of my clothes don't even fit me anymore. I have my graduation in a couple of months and I just want to be at my best since this is my last year and leave college the way I started and better. Any tips or motivational advice?

Replies

• deathbyokapi
    deathbyokapi Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Ugh I hear you. This semester has been so busy, and although I haven't gained much back, I'm afraid I can feel myself slipping back into bad, lazy habits.

But one thing that helps me is I take a 5 or 10 minute break from studying or homework, and just do a quick lap around the library, or do a few flights of stairs. It might not actually be that much exercise, but it helps keep you from sitting for hours and hours.

Also, I personally know I can concentrate better if I can portion out 30 to 45 minutes every other day to work out. I sleep better, I study better, all that jazz.

I've also come to realize that I just can't have food around me when I'm studying, or I'll mindlessly munch. Even if it's something pretty healthy like veggies, I still end up eating wayyy too many of them. So if you need to snack, do it, but then put the snack away!

Hope this helps. I feel your pain.
  • deathbyokapi
    deathbyokapi Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Also! If you can't work out one day because you're just flat-out too busy (the other day I was at school from 6am to 7pm, and then at work from 7pm to 12am) don't beat yourself up. But also don't let long days turn into crappy eating days because you're tired and busy and you don't have time to cook!
    Even if you have to grab ready made food or fast food, there are still healthier options.
  • MayBerries
    MayBerries Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how youre feeling!
    Stress from school doesn't really give you the chance to easily think about food and exercise. Since the school year started, i went from 155 to 170, when my goal was to be under 150.
    The struggle is real but im trying to stay on track. We can do this!
  • MayBerries
    MayBerries Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I feel like MFP has helped with just staying honest and posting what i really eat. It makes me feel guilty enough to change.
    Another big motivator was starting the day with small realistic goals that i could meet. So if i met one goal, i was more motivated to achieve the rest, including working out.
    I also drag my roomies to the gym with me so we hold eachother accountable.
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think it's about finding that balance with the other things that come with college- studying, partying etc.

Honestly my biggest saver when I was studying was to commit to 100 words a day from day 1 - notes, bits of essays, dot points etc. This just helped me personally stay more on track because I had fewer all-night study sessions when papers were due, resulting in excess eating, throwing off my exercise schedule. It also meant that by my final semester I was handing in papers weeks in advance!
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I managed to lose 20 pounds last semester and 45 total. It can be done!

If you don't have time to go to the gym, I recommend walking to classes instead of taking the bus. You can also spend a little extra time walking between classes. I also go on shorter runs if it's nice outside and I don't have time for the gym. I always feel like I need to spend a fully hour at the gym, but if I run outside, I don't feel bad doing 20 minutes or so.

I make enough food for a few days and eat leftover because it saves time. I like to make a huge pot of soup and eat it every day for three or four days. Soup is really cheap and low in calories. I also eat a lot of salads, chicken, occasional pasta, rice, and pizza. People always think of pizza being really awful for you, but I make it myself and roll the crust really thin, put on a little cheese, then load it up with veggies. I usually eat it with salad and it's really delicious. I make two pizza at a time and they last about a week.

I've been doing pretty well with time management, so I find a lot of time to exercise, but you can lose weight without a ton of it. Just watch what you eat and you'll lose weight. Be patient and conscious of what you put into your body. I gained like 30 pounds freshman and sophomore year because I allowed myself to eat junk all the time without caring. Just log everything and be honest with yourself.

Feel free to add me as a friend. My diary is open to friends. I'm more than willing to give any advice you need :)
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of trouble in college, and didn't seem to really get on track until grad school. I think that one thing I have to do is focus on one goal at a time and not bite off more than you can chew. One step at a time. I was always trying to completely change the way I eat while also trying to set a ridiculous workout schedule at the same time, and I always failed when I did that. So instead, I worked on getting my calories under control first, and in doing so realized that I don't necessarily have to change the way I eat entirely, just make a few small adjustments to the things I already like. I also realized that I don't have to do things I hated in order to get some exercise in. I personally hate the gym and have a horrible time trying to force myself to go. Now, I do fitness blender, YouTube, dvd workouts, or walking/running. It's more my style and 100% on my own time & in my own space.

I think it's just trial and error. I joined MFP in 2010 I think, & would use it for a week here and there before giving up. I didn't get fully on board with losing weight (nor was I successful) until 2014. You just have to keep trying new things and find what works for you.

Lastly, I'd recommend making friends here and getting involved on the message boards. I learned so much from perusing the boards, and having friends on my page keeps me coming back because I enjoy it here so much.

You will definitely figure it out if you keep trying. Good luck!
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I am graduating in April. As bad as this sounds, I have a mild case of senioritis and am so over classes! I usually get a 4.0 but I'm now slacking on classes to go to the gym...so instead of all As I'll get a few Bs! It's not that big of a deal since it's my last semester, and I'm much happier. But once I'm able to balance both then that will be better :)

When you go into the dining hall just try to stay away from the pizza and fries. Try having a salad or sandwich for one meal. :)
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    But if you live off campus it's much easier to eat well!