Running in the morning

Options
I'm a pretty new runner and grad of the C25k program. I've started running in the morning (5:30 a.m.!!!) I used to run at lunchtime, but it's just getting too warm outside and I'm not looking too fresh in my business suit for the afternoon with soggy hair. I've noticed that I am barely able to make it 30 minutes w/o needing to stop, whereas when I was running in the afternoon I was able to do it no problem. I'm chugging some h2o before I go out and am eating a peanut butter sandwich about 20 minute pre-workout. Am I doing something wrong? Is running that early usu. a little tougher? Am I being a head case?

Replies

• jenjam27
    jenjam27 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me, I try so hard to work out in the morning but I just cann't keep moving, my body just isn't ready. I wish is was bc I am doing the same thing in the afternoon.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I do think it's just your body not being used to it. If you run consistently in the morning, it will get better. You could also play around with what you are eating to see if that helps.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty new runner and grad of the C25k program. I've started running in the morning (5:30 a.m.!!!) I used to run at lunchtime, but it's just getting too warm outside and I'm not looking too fresh in my business suit for the afternoon with soggy hair. I've noticed that I am barely able to make it 30 minutes w/o needing to stop, whereas when I was running in the afternoon I was able to do it no problem. I'm chugging some h2o before I go out and am eating a peanut butter sandwich about 20 minute pre-workout. Am I doing something wrong? Is running that early usu. a little tougher? Am I being a head case?

I don't know why it's harder in the morning....or if it's b/c your body isn't awake yet or whatever, but my friend who is a personal trainer told me that you burn more fat in the morning when you exercise than you do the rest of the day....if that makes you feel better.....
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Working out early in the morning is tough and takes getting use to. You'll need to push through these hard phases until the habit is form and your body gets used to doing that stuff in the morning.

Also, maybe try something a little lighter to eat before your run. Maybe 1 or 2 small fat-free type yogurts, or maybe just half the PB&J sandwich, and eat the other half when your done the run. If you eat to heavy before hand, your body has to redirect some resources to digestion that could take away from run muscles. When I run at lunch time at work, I go for my run before I eat.
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    Work out whenever you think you should. Some people do great in the morning, others in the afternoon. I personally do all my working out in the afternoon. I have been trying to get up early to do it, but I can't bring myself to start that. Good for you for having the ability to be u pthe early and doing such a vigorous workout!
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just need a bit more time to get going - perhaps start with a brisk walk to some up-tempo music will help. I run in the mornings too but I don't find it any more sluggish, but I do take a little longer to warm up.
  • adhillman01
    adhillman01 Posts: 206
    Options
    I had the same problem when I switched to morning workouts. I had been getting a pace of about 9:15 to 9:30 and when I started running in the morning it went back down to about a ten minute mile. As I've worked out more in the morning I have gotten my speed back. Keep up the good work, I know it's hard.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I've been an avid runner for almost 9 years now (over 16,000 miles logged). I love running in the mornings before work. I run on an empty stomach, so mornings work best for me. Over the years, I'd had to switch to nights a couple times (for family and work scheduling reasons).

My best tip for getting up in the mornings is drink a bunch of water before bed. I also find that I need about 20-25 minutes of being awake time before I an ready to hit the road.

As far as food goes, don't over-think it - just try some things are see what works for you. We only burn ~ 120 calories per mile (depending on weight & pace), so shorter runs may not require much fueling.

Good luck!
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous posters, I think it will just take some tinkering to get your routine down? Do you get side stitches at all? I do if I have eaten close to running, I also run at 5:30am and always do it on an empty stomach, otherwise I get side stitches.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous posters, I think it will just take some tinkering to get your routine down? Do you get side stitches at all? I do if I have eaten close to running, I also run at 5:30am and always do it on an empty stomach, otherwise I get side stitches.

me too - I leave for 15 - 20 milers on an empty stomach (I'll eat some Clif Bloks along the way). I don't even eat before my marathons (unless it is a race like NYC where you have to get up to catch a bus and don't start running for another 3 hours).
  • stenochick
    stenochick Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips, everyone! I'll be trying them out in the morning bright and early!