Can't stop BINGING

Options
I was doing really well to start off with. I was eating around 2000 calories a day which is perfectly reasonable, but as of about January I've been going on binges that leave me feeling out of control and just generally terrible. For example, for the past few days I've eaten around 5500-6000 calories! I honestly have no idea why... Does anyone else have a similar problem?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to a therapist? He/she could help you figure out what is causing this.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Well I'd ask how you're feeling mentally. Are you depriving yourself? 2000 calories is a generous number, and I see no reason why you can't through a few treat foods into the mix. I feel like 2000 cals of just veggies, fruits and lean protein could get extremely monotonous. I found it was important to have treats readily available, as if I don't I feel deprived. You can't tell yourself "I can't have this" because food is just food, nothing's bad/good.

Also, your default picture seems not to be helping with a healthy mindset. "Milk is for babies. Drink fruit"? No. If you want milk, drink milk. If you want fruit, drink fruit. Don't let yourself get in that mindset.
  • shaleeny88
    Options
    Are you getting cravings for all that food or are you just eating because you have nothing on your schedule ??

I tend to binge eat on my days off when I haven't got much to do. Therefore, I try to keep myself busy to destruct myself and I also keep no junk food in the house. When I get a craving for any junk food, I usually feel lazy to go to the shop to buy it.
  • bonniedalberg
    Options
    I'm a long time binger. Something I'm testing the waters with is splitting up my day into 6 meals instead of 3 meals with snacks throughout the day. I know it sounds virtually the same, but if meal time is coming around in 2 or 3 hours, it helps satiate that craving for me. I can easily binge into the 6,000 calorie area. Maybe it sounds crazy to most people, but I know exactly what you're going through. The emotional high while doing it and then that awful low after you're done. If you need a friend, you're welcome to add me. Maybe we can figure this thing out together!
  • valerie_neuharth
    valerie_neuharth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do this too. Honestly, when I started my depression meds it really helped. I do it every now and then still, but my meds have helped.
  • valerie_neuharth
    valerie_neuharth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    shaleeny88 wrote: »
    Are you getting cravings for all that food or are you just eating because you have nothing on your schedule ??

I tend to binge eat on my days off when I haven't got much to do. Therefore, I try to keep myself busy to destruct myself and I also keep no junk food in the house. When I get a craving for any junk food, I usually feel lazy to go to the shop to buy it.

Me too!!
  • a05jwal
    a05jwal Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've done this too and I have gone to a therapist, etc. It's been a lot less lately, but I find that planning helps a ton. plan your next day food out and when you feel an urge, drink water, brush your teeth whatever. I know exactly what you mean and its refreshing to hear others struggle. I was on depression/anxiety meds and I found that made it worse. So for past 6 weeks I 've been logging, working out a lot and if I do bad, i don't get so mad at myself, accept it and start over.
  • amandakgray1
    amandakgray1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean and although it isn't working perfectly for me yet, the key is to find something to replace the binges. You need to find an activity to do that you can't do at the same time as binge eating. For example, every time I start thinking about getting some food to binge on I instead immediately go outside and take a walk. Or I go get a bottle of water and drink it so that my stomach is full. It is called a competing behavior and the key is to find something that you can't do at the same time as eating. Find something you like to do that keeps your hands busy or your person away from food until you don't feel like binge eating anymore. Hope this helps!!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I binged when I labeled food as good/bad, restricted certain things, etc. Food is just food now, with different macro breakdowns and thus different benefits, but it's all just food. I've had like 5-6 chocolates today man, but all within my calories. Haven't binged at all in my 250+ days logging. So.. you just need to deduce what is prompting your own personal binging.
  • CrazyLittleFruitbat
    Options
    I'm a long time binger. Something I'm testing the waters with is splitting up my day into 6 meals instead of 3 meals with snacks throughout the day. I know it sounds virtually the same, but if meal time is coming around in 2 or 3 hours, it helps satiate that craving for me. I can easily binge into the 6,000 calorie area. Maybe it sounds crazy to most people, but I know exactly what you're going through. The emotional high while doing it and then that awful low after you're done. If you need a friend, you're welcome to add me. Maybe we can figure this thing out together!

It's always good to hear that your not alone. I've started eating every 2-3 hours so I don't get hungry. Also, as my insulin response is quick (and as a result I feel hungry straight after eating), it keeps my blood sugar regulated. It got to the point that after a binge I just felt numb and staired at the wrappers of all the things I'd eaten, then the realisation would hit me. I've been doing better recently though!
  • CrazyLittleFruitbat
    Options
    PearlAng wrote: »
    Well I'd ask how you're feeling mentally. Are you depriving yourself? 2000 calories is a generous number, and I see no reason why you can't through a few treat foods into the mix. I feel like 2000 cals of just veggies, fruits and lean protein could get extremely monotonous. I found it was important to have treats readily available, as if I don't I feel deprived. You can't tell yourself "I can't have this" because food is just food, nothing's bad/good.

Also, your default picture seems not to be helping with a healthy mindset. "Milk is for babies. Drink fruit"? No. If you want milk, drink milk. If you want fruit, drink fruit. Don't let yourself get in that mindset.

I'm vegan, that picture was a joke...