Sugars

Options
hi! I was reading my daily goals on my fitness pal and it says I should be having 70g of sugar per day?! I am confused as I thought as women we should only have about 30g per day. I'm 5'11 but I don't think that should change my daily amounts.

Replies

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there was a difference for men and women when it comes to sugar. If it seems high to you it can be adjusted. Or just ignore that macro and focus on calories in general depending on your goals.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It all depends who you listen to. In reality unless you have a medical condition as long as you're your eating a wide variety of foods including fresh veg and fruit I wouldn't take any notice what so ever of your sugar levels.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think your understanding of the 30g might be regarding added sugars. There are natural sugars in everything, including dairy and vegetables.

I have a sugar limit of around 45 on my diary, and I went over it one day without having any added sugar or any fruit. I simply had cottage cheese, yogurt, and a hefty serving of cauliflower that had 10 grams of sugar in it.

Don't worry about it.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »
    It all depends who you listen to. In reality unless you have a medical condition as long as you're your eating a wide variety of foods including fresh veg and fruit I wouldn't take any notice what so ever of your sugar levels.

^this. I actually don't track sugar in my diary anymore. I get a balanced diet and I'm frequently over.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    safreeka wrote: »
    hi! I was reading my daily goals on my fitness pal and it says I should be having 70g of sugar per day?! I am confused as I thought as women we should only have about 30g per day. I'm 5'11 but I don't think that should change my daily amounts.

MFP's guidance is 15% of calories as total sugars, based on various policies. EU and Aus have a 90 g/day suggested max. WHO want added sugars at 5% of calories.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    safreeka wrote: »

MFP's guidance is 15% of calories as total sugars, based on various policies. EU and Aus have a 90 g/day suggested max. WHO want added sugars at 5% of calories.

Which is one thing MFP should do if possible. Separate added sugars from fruit and vegetables.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    Which is one thing MFP should do if possible. Separate added sugars from fruit and vegetables.

It's not on labels so not currently possible. The body doesn't have a receptor for "added" and there are no analytical methods to determine added sugars so it's probably a waste of time anyway.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    The US Food and Drug Administration has proposed to add Added Sugars to the Nutrition Facts label. The new rules are expected to be final in 2015 and manufacturers will have up to two years to comply with the new rules. I expect MFP will have to update its Food Database based on the updated Nutrition Facts label, to include Added Sugar.
    Reference:
    fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm385663.htm
  • yarwell
    Options
    MFPs database is largely user submitted so it will take a long time for that to permeate, if it actually goes ahead.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Unless you have medical issues with sugar intake, diagnosed from a DOCTOR, don't worry about it.
  • Jolinia
    Options

It's not on labels so not currently possible. The body doesn't have a receptor for "added" and there are no analytical methods to determine added sugars so it's probably a waste of time anyway.

Nope because fiber and other nutrients in fruits and veggies are beneficial while sugar added to bread for whatever idiot reason the food industry thinks this was a good idea is non-nutritious.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    All that requires is knowing what you are actually eating.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Nope because fiber and other nutrients in fruits and veggies are beneficial while sugar added to bread for whatever idiot reason the food industry thinks this was a good idea is non-nutritious.

Added sugar doesn't subtract the nutrients of the food containing it. The choice is not between a vegetable and a bowl of pure sugar.

• Jolinia
    edited February 2015
    Options

Added sugar doesn't subtract the nutrients of the food containing it. The choice is not between a vegetable and a bowl of pure sugar.

Your calorie needs might be high enough that empty calories are no problem for you, but all possible arguments about fructose being an issue for the liver or satiety or cravings or every single other thing aside, my needs, even with exercise, are still low enough that it matters for me.