Too good to be true!!?

Options

Replies

• dontjinxit
    dontjinxit Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    mom2ava07 wrote: »
    I'm losing weight eating cookies every night. I just can't eat half a box, and have to stick to a single serving. So it does work as long as you stay within your limits. You will end up eating less food if you are eating foods higher in calories, but if they are foods that you like and it works for you then go for it.

That's my kind of diet :)
    I'm currently on a search for cookies with slightly less calories. The ones I like are 62 calories each O_o
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    dontjinxit wrote: »
    I'm losing weight eating cookies every night. I just can't eat half a box, and have to stick to a single serving. So it does work as long as you stay within your limits. You will end up eating less food if you are eating foods higher in calories, but if they are foods that you like and it works for you then go for it.

I'm currently on a search for cookies with slightly less calories. The ones I like are 62 calories each O_o

Where do you get good 60 calorie cookies? O.o The ones I like are 200 calories each!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Where do you get good 60 calorie cookies? O.o The ones I like are 200 calories each!

I got the Gerber Graduates Arrowroot Cookies for my one-year-old. He didn't like them, so I tried one. Oh man, they are so good. They taste like those butter cookies that come in the tins. Much more satisfying than vanilla wafers or graham crackers, which are usually my go-to when I want a sweet fix. And they're 20 calories a piece, so you can eat 5 of them for 100 calories and feel like you got a decent little snack. They're great with coffee, too.
  • dontjinxit
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hehe. I won't even look at the good cookies. I already know I'd end up starving for them. Generic custard creams are somewhere between 62-65 calories each.
  • dontjinxit
    Options

I got the Gerber Graduates Arrowroot Cookies....they're 20 calories a piece, so you can eat 5 of them for 100 calories and feel like you got a decent little snack. They're great with coffee, too.

Now I want a biscotti, but that would be a 200 calorie cookie.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

I got the Gerber Graduates Arrowroot Cookies....they're 20 calories a piece, so you can eat 5 of them for 100 calories and feel like you got a decent little snack. They're great with coffee, too.

Now I want a biscotti, but that would be a 200 calorie cookie.

Ooh, biscotti sounds good, too! <3
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I realize that you are, for whatever reason, sold on your notion that most fat people are fat because they've never thought to eat anything but fast food and potato chips, and while I find this kind of offensive, I have known someone who ate fast food all the time and was obese. She was also really smart and understood why she was fat. When she decided to lose weight she wasn't ready to change her diet--she liked her diet, weird as it might seem to you and I--so she reduced serving sizes. I thought it was weird at the time (this was during my hard core all natural, local, blah blah phase), but it worked for her, and as she made progress and ate less and lost she continued to modify her diet and eventually ate a much more nutritious one. I don't assume that someone who starts by focusing on calories and just modifies as necessary to meet their needs is going to fail or will never change their diet. It's just that more gradual change works for many or most. Going hardcore to a super healthy (IMO, it's not "clean") worked for me, because that's how I liked to eat already. That doesn't mean I should impose my preferences when not necessary on someone claiming to hate all veggies or love McD's.

You can find it offensive if you want, that's up to you. The reason I believe this is the case is that's there's a strong correlation between eating fast food and obesity. Correlation =/= causation fine fine fine but it's a strong-as$ correlation and it's predictable. No, I'm not going to give a cite, I have things to do today and this is pretty damn obvious, google it. It's been shown wherever fast food goes, globally, so does obesity. I think, as I've said, that this is because the low value (macro content, specifically) of the food means that people lose their sense of satiety, if ever they had it, and as a consequence eat too much.

There's nothing wrong with an individual meal of fast food in itself, but the reality on the ground is, it's just not like that for most people who eat it, is it? It's not just one burger/fries combo. It's that and pizza and whatever the hell else, day in, day out, for most meals. People absolutely can eat it without gaining but must control portions. Those are out of control in FF restaurants, too.

I am not judging you particularly, ? I'm not even judging those who eat fast food. I eat fast food. I like it. But there is a systematic problem here. Evidently.

Can you please stop stalking my posts on the subject? It is really tiring to have to make the same arguments over again when it's not directly related to the thread.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to follow conversations when the quote feature is not used correctly. ..
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

I realize that you are, for whatever reason, sold on your notion that most fat people are fat because they've never thought to eat anything but fast food and potato chips, and while I find this kind of offensive, I have known someone who ate fast food all the time and was obese. She was also really smart and understood why she was fat. When she decided to lose weight she wasn't ready to change her diet--she liked her diet, weird as it might seem to you and I--so she reduced serving sizes. I thought it was weird at the time (this was during my hard core all natural, local, blah blah phase), but it worked for her, and as she made progress and ate less and lost she continued to modify her diet and eventually ate a much more nutritious one. I don't assume that someone who starts by focusing on calories and just modifies as necessary to meet their needs is going to fail or will never change their diet. It's just that more gradual change works for many or most. Going hardcore to a super healthy (IMO, it's not "clean") worked for me, because that's how I liked to eat already. That doesn't mean I should impose my preferences when not necessary on someone claiming to hate all veggies or love McD's.

You can find it offensive if you want, that's up to you. The reason I believe this is the case is that's there's a strong correlation between eating fast food and obesity. Correlation =/= causation fine fine fine but it's a strong-as$ correlation and it's predictable. No, I'm not going to give a cite, I have things to do today and this is pretty damn obvious, google it. It's been shown wherever fast food goes, globally, so does obesity. I think, as I've said, that this is because the low value (macro content, specifically) of the food means that people lose their sense of satiety, if ever they had it, and as a consequence eat too much.

There's nothing wrong with an individual meal of fast food in itself, but the reality on the ground is, it's just not like that for most people who eat it, is it? It's not just one burger/fries combo. It's that and pizza and whatever the hell else, day in, day out, for most meals. People absolutely can eat it without gaining but must control portions. Those are out of control in FF restaurants, too.

I am not judging you particularly, ? I'm not even judging those who eat fast food. There is a systematic problem here. Evidently.

Can you please stop stalking my posts on the subject?

Yes there is a systematic problem. It's called over-eating. Fast foods are easier to over-eat, true, but they are not the root of the problem. I, for example, rarely had fast food when I was 300+ pounds. What happened is that my portions were too big, and I used too much olive oil on my salads and vegetables.
  • tomatoey
    edited February 2015
    Options

I am not judging you particularly, ? I'm not even judging those who eat fast food. There is a systematic problem here. Evidently.

Yes there is a systematic problem. It's called over-eating. Fast foods are easier to over-eat, true, but they are not the root of the problem. I, for example, rarely had fast food when I was 300+ pounds. What happened is that my portions were too big, and I used too much olive oil on my salads and vegetables.

The root of the problem is too many calories. No argument there. Yes, of course, people can gain weight eating healthy foods. No argument there either.

But to argue that the obesity crisis in so many countries has just nothing at all to do with the prevalance of fast food - its quality AND quantity - and the larger factors that drive that industry is silly and even perverse. Fast foods are easier to overeat; people eat them for many reasons; most of the people who eat it regularly, in the absence of a calorie counting regime - i.e., MOST PEOPLE - gain weight.
  • tomatoey
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I want to correct myself. Here is where we disagree - in scope. The immediate cause of the problem is too many calories. The root cause of the problem* has to do with larger social forces, including the fast food industry.

*the larger social problem of obesity, not any individual's obesity, necessarily.
  • tomatoey
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Anyway, this is off-track. The point is that for those who want to not be hungry and eat fewer calories, it makes sense to attend to macros. And for those who want to be healthy, they should pay attention to micros.
  • nic464
    nic464 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Emmaprov2015 - I am totally confused like you. I feel like I have eaten loads, I'm not hungry and still I am way under my calories, this is only day 2 tho!
  • tomatoey
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Last point before I go and do the things I need to do: the easiest way to not be hungry, on a calorie budget, is to prioritize macros in a way that is also, as it happens, largely consistent with "healthy eating". (That is not to say that any individual food is bad; the overall pattern of eating, and the amounts, are what matters for loss, can't be clearer on this.) And, at the same time, staying on a budget long-term involves eating foods that are low-value, sometimes, for sanity's sake.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

The root of the problem is too many calories. No argument there. Yes, of course, people can gain weight eating healthy foods. No argument there either.

But to argue that the obesity crisis in so many countries has just nothing at all to do with the prevalance of fast food - its quality AND quantity - and the larger factors that drive that industry is silly and even perverse. Fast foods are easier to overeat; people eat them for many reasons; most of the people who eat it regularly, in the absence of a calorie counting regime - i.e., MOST PEOPLE - gain weight.

Regardless of how you personally feel about fast food, the obesity epidemic will never end as long as people keep trying to find something to blame it on rather than taking the responsibility for themselves. No sense in blaming fast food (or sugar or an illness or anything else). People just need to stop making excuses and take control of their own lives and eat less than they did to gain weight. I don't know why people spend so much time arguing that this or that is the reason for obesity - the ONLY reason is overconsumption. Period.

• tomatoey
    Options
    All any one person can do is monitor their own consumption, that's true.

But it's ridiculous to suggest everyone randomly at the same time deciding to overconsume can explain the rates. It's more complicated than that.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    All any one person can do is monitor their own consumption, that's true.

But it's ridiculous to suggest everyone randomly at the same time deciding to overconsume can explain the rates. It's more complicated than that.

But it's not more complicated than that. Yes, food is easier to come by. Yes, we all have cars and many of us have sedentary jobs. Our caloric needs have decreased because of these things. All we have to do is compensate for that by getting exercise and eating less calories than we burn. Simple, but not easy. You have to work for it, and you have to want it. That is all there is to it.

It can be done - but we have to start spreading THAT message rather than a message of blaming fast food/genetics/sugar/the debil/your neighbors/etc. It's not fair to keep leading people to believe that they cannot control their weight because there is just too much food and that we don't have enough sense to not buy it all because the fast food corporations are out to get us.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    It is not just as simple as calories in/calories out. Yes, that may be the bulk of it, but consuming too much fat and sugar will not help you lose weight. Your body will store all of that fat and sugar if you do not use it up.

Actually, it *IS* just that simple.

Where do these folks come up with this horse hockey?

No, it is not that simple.

We have a bunch of veteran calorie counters on this site talking to each other. For these "veterans," counting calories comes as easy as brushing their teeth or driving a car.

Nonsense. All of us were new once. And understanding how it actually works, instead of believing idiotic myths about the magical powers of eating too much fat made it possible for me, for one, to succeed. Telling people the truth does not hurt them. They are grown ups, they can figure out how not to be hungry.

Now, if you also want to give helpful advice about what worked for you--as opposed to a lie like "if you eat a cookie it will be like a fat pill and make the diet not work"--great. For example, I experimented with different macros and found that eating balanced macros at all meals helped me feel more satisfied. I also found that FOR ME not snacking much and eating 3 decent-sized meals (sometimes with a post workout snack) was the most satisfying and enjoyable way to eat. For me, and I suspect for most, it's helpful to eat a good volume of veggies and some fruit and healthy too. So on.
    The fact is the vast majority (and I mean vast majority) of people who start a diet, whether they count calories or don't count calories, fail miserably because they are hungry. Look it up.

Do they fail because they are hungry, or because they are unhappy with what they are eating and unsatisfied? Different things. I seriously think a lot more people believe silly myths about how you have to eat in a rigid complicated way when dieting or it won't work (and also have some ingrained idea about self-punishment and sacrifice being good vs. self indulgence being bad) than can't figure out how to eat so as not to be hungry, which is really not very complicated unless you are very dumb. Or, more likely, simply not interested in eating in the way you know would address the issue since you are not yet ready or simply don't like the relevant foods vs. how you are eating (more common).
    It's tough to go from an "all you can eat" diet to a 1,500-calorie diet just like that.

Reading the forums here proves otherwise. Many, many people even at calories far lower than they need are motivated at the beginning of a diet and not hungry. The reason is that none of us are that hungry--hunger is often a psychological reaction to a belief that you are deprived.

I'm sure some percentage of overweight people are because they honestly have issues with hunger, but I suspect it's a minority and common sense would help them figure out how to deal with the issue.

But perhaps you think they are all idiots.

I make a common sense suggestion of finding foods that fill you up, and somehow you are taken aback. You think I'm making it up that bacon and eggs fill me up more than bagels? You think when you're starting out on this journey you should drink Coke instead of Diet Coke? Give me a break! I'll have to think about who the idiot is.
    Who is talking about coke vs diet coke but you? Don't think that you are the only person that has heard of the word satiety because it's in your screen name. We're actually pretty good at giving people advice on how to do things properly and have the ability to explain why we say what we do. Don't be one of those people that pop up on scene and claim to have the psychology of how new people think. We were all new at some point. And before you call people idiots pay attention to whom you are actually addressing because you might find yourself in the middle of a debate that you can't handle.

You win. Eat what you want newbies. It is 100% certain that you will succeed if you just count calories. Don't bother trying to find foods that make it easier for you to avoid hunger pangs and help you stay within your calorie goal. Just because MrM can do it, so can you. It's easy.

And by the way, I was the one who was accused of thinking people on this site are idiots. I did not start this battle.

Stick around a little longer and pay attention to the advice that people actually get about eating foods that meet there macronutrients, macronutrients, Vitamins and Minerals before moving into discretionary calories before you start judging what advice people are giving new members. Also, don't forget, you're new here too.

This.

Also, I think it's absurd that I'm being accused of being anti healthy eating or pro Twinkie or whatever too (although Twinkies are fine in moderation if someone actually likes them). Feel free to look at my diary or read my actual recommendations which are all over the forum, sigh.

psst.... I think bagels are the new Twinkies.

Uh, oh. I actually like bagels.
    It's obvious that you're pro-moderation from your posts and that you eat a well-varied diet.

;-)

• royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    It is not just as simple as calories in/calories out. Yes, that may be the bulk of it, but consuming too much fat and sugar will not help you lose weight. Your body will store all of that fat and sugar if you do not use it up.

Yikes.

You're right though, except for your trashcan last sentence which I'm ignoring. Consuming too much fat and sugar will not help you lose weight. Same for protein. If you consume more than you burn, you will not lose weight. So we come right back to calories in/calories out.

OP, do what someone on the first page suggested and work on hitting your macronutrients, especially protein and fat. Glad you're excited and I wish you success, just be careful not to eat too little - it's counterproductive in the long run.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I want to correct myself. Here is where we disagree - in scope. The immediate cause of the problem is too many calories. The root cause of the problem* has to do with larger social forces, including the fast food industry.

*the larger social problem of obesity, not any individual's obesity, necessarily.

I disagree. It all comes down to personal accountability. In other words, we choose what to eat. Besides this, there is nothing wrong with fast food in moderation. And, this comes from a girl who eats no fast food due to preference only, except for Chipotle, and that's once in awhile.