Stomach Discomfort While Running

Options
Any other runners have this problem? I have never been much of a distance runner, but I am now training for a half marathon and am up to 6 miles. Lately whenever I do a long run, my stomach is upset. Either I get cramps, have to use the bathroom mid-run (a great feeling, let me tell you), or sometimes just feel incredibly nauseated. I've tried eating different foods in the morning, cutting out coffee, etc. Any recommendations? Sometimes I don't get to run until after work so I can't keep my stomach too empty. Seriously hoping to avoid these issues on race day!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Before my LSD run I'll generally stimulate a resolution by having a coffee about 90 minutes before going out.

As it's affecting you on shorter runs it could be one of a number of things; overhydration, overexertion or too much inyour stomach.

For me, I don't generally eat before short runs of up to 12Km, before my long runs I'll eat about 90 minutes ahead so it's settled by the time I go out.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Before my LSD run I'll generally stimulate a resolution by having a coffee about 90 minutes before going out.

As it's affecting you on shorter runs it could be one of a number of things; overhydration, overexertion or too much inyour stomach.

For me, I don't generally eat before short runs of up to 12Km, before my long runs I'll eat about 90 minutes ahead so it's settled by the time I go out.

i'm not sure what this means in terms on running but i suspect it's not quite as fun as i'm imagining

i always have a pre run coffee followed by some nice cold water, that helps move things along so i don't have any mid run issues

i also don't eat for about 2 hours before i run, if i do it leaves me feeling quite sick and bloated after i've run any longer than 20 minutes
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    sloseph wrote: »
    Before my LSD run

i'm not sure what this means in terms on running but i suspect it's not quite as fun as i'm imagining

Long steady distance, so for me now somewhere between 10 and 15 miles.

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Generally I don't eat a thing before I run. I have some water or leftover coffee and that's all. That could help your morning runs. If you're running after work you might be better served to just be hungry the latter part of the day and run with an empty stomach.
  • sebd12
    sebd12 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Pretty common. It will be a lot of trial and error to find what works for you.
    Hence the "runner's advice" of "never trust a fart after Mile #4." :smile:
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Runner's Trots. Not fun at all. Many runners experience it. I have found that as I run more and get in better shape I don't get it quite as often. Just try to empty out before you run. If not, stay close to the bathroom.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    My best runs are done on nothing but black coffee in the stomach.

I tried taking the advice of others and eating an hour before a run and also did the drink extra water and both of those killed my runs about 20 minutes in just completely ran out of steam and felt horrible. The only time I've ever had side stitches by the way was with lots of water in my stomach.

If I run in the evenings I try to do the same, have a late afternoon coffee as the last thing in my stomach before a run. Sometimes the types of food make a difference too, greek yogurt and fruit I can eat then run, snack bars, breakfast meats and eggs I cannot.

Please note I am not saying don't drink water, I drink a ton of it throughout the day just not near run time.
  • ultimatekatie
    ultimatekatie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When do you run? I get stomach crampy/light headed if I run first thing in the morning. I've become an after-work runner because I just can't hack running in the A.M. What I've found works for me is eating a 300-400 cal lunch around 1:00ish, with a small "quick energy" snack like a Larabar or Kind bar around 3:30 or 4:00. Then at 5:00 or 5:30 I feel ready for a run, but without having heavy food feeling in my tummy.

Also (this will sound retarded, but...) I feel like my workout clothing affects my run. I prefer high-waisted spandex or yoga pants that go to navel-height, because anything that hits in my lower tummy feels constricting and I get cramps or stomach pain, even if it's a properly-sized waistband.
  • akirkman86
    akirkman86 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will keep experimenting with food or lack thereof. It's definitely worse for afternoon runs... maybe I'm just eating too much.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    akirkman86 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I will keep experimenting with food or lack thereof. It's definitely worse for afternoon runs... maybe I'm just eating too much.

Sounds like it. Maybe try curbing your food intake a few hours before, same as if you were taking a yoga class.

As the first poster said, I can usually "move things along" in advance with a cup of coffee.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Coffee, and not much more before any run. Get everything out before starting. If you haven't done that yet, don't start your run. Seriously. I live by that rule. Otherwise bad things can happen...