Office Workout?

Options
So I spend more time sitting in front of my work computer than I would prefer. Does anyone have any sort of office routines or exercises they recommend? I don't have the option of changing or working out during lunch, and steel toed boots aren't exactly the best gear either.

Any suggestions would be great!

Replies

• rlzwakenberg
    rlzwakenberg Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I work at an office and sit in front of a computer all day too. the only thing I can suggest is to try and get up and move around as much as possible. Stand in front of your desk instead of sit. Walk circles around the break room on lunch break. Really anything that involves more movement than sitting in front of the computer. You probably wont get a GOOD workout in, but it'll be better than nothing.
  • petrinasupler
    petrinasupler Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My friend Angela and I came up with a list of bathroom workouts to do at the office to help keep our bodies moving throughout the day without getting in the way of working. Taking a walk at lunch is great, but I need to be able to eat lunch too!!
    So here are a few we came up with, if you google "bathroom workouts" you'll be surprised how many people do this. You can do this in the privacy of the bathroom or in your office.

Squats
    wall push ups
    knees lifts
    standing crunches (no one wants to touch nasty bathroom floor haha)
    keep weights at your desk for quick bicep curls etc.. (guys do it so can we!)
    jumping jacks
    dips on a chair ( I don't know why there is a chair in our office bathroom, but I use it for dips)
    overhead arm claps (maybe taps so other people don't hear you. lol)

There's a bunch more I can't think of right now, but 20-25 reps after you tinkle throughout the day will help keep you energized and burn calories.

Good luck
    Feel free to add if you like
  • airborne18th
    airborne18th Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    tighten your stomach and lift your foot off the ground bending your knee.. you want to go as high as you can.. straight up. you can hold it if you want.. but the key is when you lower.. do it slowly. always keep your abs tight.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I love Petrina's post above - I've totally done this.

I've just started going for walks on my lunch break - don't get me wrong, I still eat, I just eat at my desk and "work" from there before going for my walk.

I've also done the following - spurts of 30-60 sec per exercise
    - high knees
    - jumping jacks
    - running on the spot
    - power squats (jumping into a squat position and then pike position alternately)
    - dips on the desk or chair
    - pushups
    - lunges
    - jumping lunges
    - burpees
    - planks
    - etc.

I've done most of those exercises with steel toes and although a bit uncomfortable, it works. My M400 watch also beeps at me if I've been sitting for an hour so then I take a walk to the lunchroom (and around in the lunchroom) before heading back to my desk. It's a good reminder to look away from the monitor as well.
  • Brolivia3D
    Brolivia3D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I work at a mine, so there are a few safety concerns with just casually strolling around outside of the office. I try and get out in the field as frequently as possible to get info instead of sending someone else. These are great! I'll have to print myself out a list and tack it up, 'specially Petrina's list, very useful!!
    I love Petrina's post above - I've totally done this.

I've done most of those exercises with steel toes and although a bit uncomfortable, it works. My M400 watch also beeps at me if I've been sitting for an hour so then I take a walk to the lunchroom (and around in the lunchroom) before heading back to my desk. It's a good reminder to look away from the monitor as well.

Love the idea of an hourly alert to get up and move! I'll have to set one on my phone!