Help please! Every time I cut calories

Options
katied75
katied75 Posts: 17 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all-

Every time I have tried to use myfitnesspal to cut calories I have run into the same issue. I will do great for a couple of weeks, logging every calorie, drinking 80 ounces of water (I do this anyway), and exercising with some form of circuit training or interval jogging. I easily hit my fiber goal and am usually 3 to 5 grams over. Days vary, but I am usually close to on track for carbs, protein, and fat. However-

My body seems to stop "processing" the food. I will notice due to strength training my body holds onto water. The first week the scale won't go down or goes down by a pound only to go up by 1.5 pounds the day after I strength train. Fine, I expect that my body will adjust to strength training and eventually I will release the water and have a big, woosh weight loss.

I may see that woosh a week or so I to the plan. This time around I saw a 2.5 pound loss after a week! Then, literally one day later my body was up 2 pounds again. I had strength trained that day so I wasn't shocked. Then the food processing issues began. Nothing was moving through my system.

2 weeks in my body claims to weigh exactly what I did 2 weeks ago!! So frustrating. On top of that, food is not moving through my system. I understand mentally this is the issue, but I am uncomfortable and frustrated and much more likely to stuff my face!

I did try two planned cheat days this weekend to see if it would help (I was desperate). They did nothing to help. I'm back on plan today with tons of water but my motivation to exercise and eat well is definitely low. It feels like I am destined to hold onto weight forever because my body REFUSES to work normally.

I think once I see the next loss, I need to go to monthly weigh ins because this is messing with my head. Also, I have 20 pounds to get back to a healthy BMI and 35 to 40 to hit goal. I am tall and have my goal as a 1.5 pound loss each week. This allows over 1500 calories per day plus I sometimes eat my exercise calories (not always- sometimes I am just not hungry enough to go beyond 1500 calories).

Does anyone have thoughts or ideas for me? In particular, how can I keep food moving through my system? I am not at a super low calorie amount and even going to 1 pound loss a week in the past caused this same issue. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary so we can see what you are eating?

How much fat are you getting a day?
  • katied75
    Options
    I've been tending to go over in fat by 5 or so grams per day. I figure that is close enough and I'm trying not to go crazy with hitting nutrient goals perfectly. My philosophy about this has been make one big change every few weeks so that I have time to adjust to new habits. I want this to be a lifelong change in habits.

So, two weeks ago I decide to focus on waking up early to work out (something I struggle with) and logging what I eat. That's it. I figured I may have days where I overheat or days where I don't touch one veggie, but for now the above habits are the only two I was changing.

What I found was that I eat a lot of healthy foods naturally through my day. The extra 20 pounds I have on is due to binge/ emotional eating and tracking calories helps me eat with awareness. Therefore I was easily hitting my goals when I ate my normal diet and cut out the daily afternoon or evening food binges.

A typical day for me starts with shakeology, 1/2 cup sugar free almond milk, and 1 cup spinach. Lunch varies- the last three weeks it was either homemade buffalo chicken salad, homemade pumpkin oatmeal with honey and walnuts, or a couple of days I was rushed and ate a lara bar, clementine or banana, and 1/4 cup pistachios in shells. Afternoon snack varied. Some days 1 serving of tostitos with salsa, some days healthier with a banana and 1/2 TBSP peanut butter and 1 tsp mini chocolate chips. Some days I also fit a greek coconut yogurt in with 1/2 TBSP slivered almonds. Dinner was anything my family was eating in reasonable portions. I varied from salads to 2 English muffin pizzas with chicken and peppers on top to one night of chicken Marsala and a glass of red wine.

Each day I naturally hit my calorie goals and found that I naturally hit most of my nutrients. I am low on potassium each day and definitely need to start supplementing. I also would eventually like to lower my sugar level. I didn't go over every day, but 3 or 4 days out of 10 I noticed I went over in sugar by up to 8 or 10 grams.

Like I said above, I believe small changes should happen over time for this to stick. My next goal is to lower sugar so I don't go over more than once per week. However my overall foods aren't so far off that it should cause my body to stop working. This has happened since college and in the past (pre kids) I lost over 30 pounds in 2 years. But I spent that entire time fighting these same issues. I kept the weight off until having children but for whatever reason, lowering my calories seems to cause stomach problems. I even spent a year trying high fiber, low carb and found the same issue. I need to learn to just have patience through it I guess but it is super frustrating.

• Iron_Feline
    Options
    Do you use shakeology when you aren't dieting.

Or have anything different when you diet?

Again how much fat are you eating, in grams.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing in the morning after you empty your bladder? Weight is more stable if you weigh then.
  • katied75
    Options
    So looking at a one week span Feb. 2nd through 10th my fat goal was 51 grams. My days were as follows: 52, 72, 53, 39, 51, 66, 67. I was definitely high some days looking at that. I've also been under in carbs almost every day. I tend to be higher in fat and protein, lower in carbs naturally. But not low carb by any means. I averaged between 100 and 150 grams of carbs each day. Fiber is spot on.

I have been using shakeology since June. But due to a job change and added stress I stopped exercising and was definitely binge eating. I have out on 15 pounds since June! (25 in the past 2 years). Like I said, not enough exercise and emotional eating is to blame. I don't blame shakeology for the weight gain and in fact I have clearer skin with it so I would like to continue it. I just need to keep my calories at a reasonable deficit, lower sugar, and exercise regularly. Maybe my body needs time to adjust to these changes and I get discouraged too quickly.

Thanks for the help, btw.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    I only asked about shakeology as it might be disagreeing with you if new.

I'm stumped but I'm not a dr. Maybe you just need longer to adjust, defo only weigh in once month if the fluctuations bother you. Try taking measurements as well, waist, bust etc and give it 4-6 weeks.

Though if food isn't passing you may need to take something short term or speak to your dr long term.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    katied75 wrote: »
    So looking at a one week span Feb. 2nd through 10th my fat goal was 51 grams. My days were as follows: 52, 72, 53, 39, 51, 66, 67. I was definitely high some days looking at that. I've also been under in carbs almost every day. I tend to be higher in fat and protein, lower in carbs naturally. But not low carb by any means. I averaged between 100 and 150 grams of carbs each day. Fiber is spot on.

I have been using shakeology since June. But due to a job change and added stress I stopped exercising and was definitely binge eating. I have out on 15 pounds since June! (25 in the past 2 years). Like I said, not enough exercise and emotional eating is to blame. I don't blame shakeology for the weight gain and in fact I have clearer skin with it so I would like to continue it. I just need to keep my calories at a reasonable deficit, lower sugar, and exercise regularly. Maybe my body needs time to adjust to these changes and I get discouraged too quickly.

Thanks for the help, btw.

People are asking you about fat not because they are concerned you are eating too much but because not getting enough fat can lead to constipation, especially coupled with a sudden increase in fiber.

Sometimes a drastic reduction in calories can trigger constipation, or just a reduced frequency of bowel movements without actually being constipated.

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Remember that weight is your total weight... you're not all fat by any means. If you go up 1 lb in a day that probably is water... and that's really no big deal. It's water, you know? So daily fluctuations on the scale should register pretty neutrally for you, emotionally. If you can't get there, and it's triggering you, I agree you should weigh much less often or not at all.

Also, you say that you want it to be a permanent lifestyle change. But you also say that the frustration is causing you to want to go back to old habits. I think saying we want a lifestyle change is not even half the battle with creating one -- you really have to find all your underlying beliefs and feelings and thoughts and triggers that are not helpful for you, and work on changing them so that they support you.

As for digestion issues, I don't know. I digest much better when I'm eating well. I have known people who claim to digest vegetables very poorly (but I don't know how long they tried or if it's a result of only eating them sporadically). If it continues to be a problem, you should maybe see your doc or a nutritionist. I hope you start to feel better soon!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    1 - stop weighing yourself so often. Everyone's weight fluctuates by a couple of pounds on a daily basis.
    2 - Diet, exercise and whether or not you went to the bathroom can all affect your weight.
    3 - a lifestyle change is more than a number on the scale. It's an overall change for life. Make the changes that will make you feel better overall in your mind and body and stop obsessing over the numbers on the scale.
  • katied75
    Options
    Thanks to all of you. I think the scale number is definitely messing with my head. In college a doctor diagnosed me with IBS with constipation but it only seems to flare up with dietary changes. It may just be my lot in life that to lose weight, this is an issue I will battle. The best solution is probably to weigh in less and chat with my doctor at my next physical. I can tell I have lost because clothes for better despite bloating right now. Just talking this out has helped me feel less frustrated. Thanks again!
  • nutty192
    nutty192 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When I am counting calories to lose weight I also get constipated. I put it down to the reduced bulk of food consumed. Try taking psyllium husks, much gentler than bran, and gradually increase the amount till it does the job, then gradually reduce it again. My dr recommended this for ibs with constipation, and I have not looked back. Whatever you do, dont stop it suddenly. Good luck
  • lizek316
    lizek316 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    katied75 wrote: »
    Thanks to all of you. I think the scale number is definitely messing with my head. In college a doctor diagnosed me with IBS with constipation but it only seems to flare up with dietary changes. It may just be my lot in life that to lose weight, this is an issue I will battle. The best solution is probably to weigh in less and chat with my doctor at my next physical. I can tell I have lost because clothes for better despite bloating right now. Just talking this out has helped me feel less frustrated. Thanks again!
    Yeah you definitely need to see your doctor if you've already been diagnosed with IBS once. I also have IBS and I know that when I eat fried or fatter food too frequently, I have diarrhea problems. And when I eat healthier, I get constipated. What helps for me is fruit and I have a fiber one bar or brownie EVERY day. I frequently go over my fiber goal, but it helps keep me regular. But everyone is correct about the fat. If my fat is too low for too many days in a row, even with fiber and fruit, it makes it more difficult for me to go.
    I hope that helps
  • lightmouse
    lightmouse Posts: 175 Member
    Options

[/quote]Yeah you definitely need to see your doctor if you've already been diagnosed with IBS once. I also have IBS and I know that when I eat fried or fatter food too frequently, I have diarrhea problems. And when I eat healthier, I get constipated. What helps for me is fruit and I have a fiber one bar or brownie EVERY day. I frequently go over my fiber goal, but it helps keep me regular. But everyone is correct about the fat. If my fat is too low for too many days in a row, even with fiber and fruit, it makes it more difficult for me to go.
    I hope that helps[/quote]

Oh my goodness this is me - eat healthily, I can't go, sometimes for five days. No matter how much fibre or prune juice I have :-/ If I eat badly for a few days - diarrhoea. It is making marathon training very hard....I'm either bloated and sluggish or panicking the cramps will come on and I'll have to find a bathroom NOW. I never used to have this issue, it developed last year. IBS sucks. Keep going and see your doctor if you're worried (*)
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary, we can probably make some suggestions rather than making guesses at what might work for you, particularly since it sounds that your body is just sensitive to changes in diet. It can take weeks for your body to adapt to a change in diet or exercise. When I added an hour daily stroll last year, took 3-4 weeks for the scale to shift.

Also retaining weight after a workout is perfectly normal. Happens to me all the time.

Be patient, find lifestyle changes you can live with without the need to see instant results.