A lot of fruit?

Options
Hello everyone! I have a question that might be stupid but I still want to be sure. If I eat for example 5 apples today, and still stay under my calorie goal, will those apples affect my weightloss, or I can eat as much fruit as I want as long as I'm under my calorie limit?
Thanks!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you have 500 or so calories to spend on apples and still get your other essential nutrients in then go for it.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    It depends on how sensitive you are to carbs.

For a normal, healthy person, that's probably fine.

For diabetics, pre-diabetics, etc. that would be WAY too much fruit. I find that I need to limit myself to one serving of lower-GI fruit a day. Most people do not need to be this strict.
  • airborne18th
    airborne18th Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You are going to intake alot of sugar with fruit. I made the mistake a few years ago of taking the .. "eat more fruit" line from my dietitian literally. and it blew up my diet. fruit is healthier than bread, but it is about the equivalent of bread when it comes to sugar.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    You are going to intake alot of sugar with fruit. I made the mistake a few years ago of taking the .. "eat more fruit" line from my dietitian literally. and it blew up my diet. fruit is healthier than bread, but it is about the equivalent of bread when it comes to sugar.

Fruit is healthier than bread? why? In what way? that's a pretty bold statement to make. there are a lot of different kinds of fruit and a lot of different kinds of bread.
    Overall, OP, you are better off eating everything in moderation. Generally, you could eat all your calories in junk food and as long as you were under your calorie goal you would most likely lose weight, but you wouldn't feel very good and you wouldn't be very healthy. Eat a well-balanced diet, achieving all your macro goals. Get in your fiber, carbs, fats, proteins, and keep your sugar and sodium within normal levels and you will be fine.
  • NonaEv
    NonaEv Posts: 20
    Options
    Well I found that it is good in the morning, on an empty stomach, so I take it as breakfast, but sometimes during the day I eat some more of it, and my stomach makes strange sounds after that, so I think I'll go with airborne18th, and try to not eat it as much to see that happens...
  • NonaEv
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Fruit is healthier than bread? why? In what way? that's a pretty bold statement to make. there are a lot of different kinds of fruit and a lot of different kinds of bread.
    Overall, OP, you are better off eating everything in moderation. Generally, you could eat all your calories in junk food and as long as you were under your calorie goal you would most likely lose weight, but you wouldn't feel very good and you wouldn't be very healthy. Eat a well-balanced diet, achieving all your macro goals. Get in your fiber, carbs, fats, proteins, and keep your sugar and sodium within normal levels and you will be fine.

Yeah, that is well said. Thank you mccindy72! :)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    NonaEv wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Yeah, that is well said. Thank you mccindy72! :)

;)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    NonaEv wrote: »
    Hello everyone! I have a question that might be stupid but I still want to be sure. If I eat for example 5 apples today, and still stay under my calorie goal, will those apples affect my weightloss, or I can eat as much fruit as I want as long as I'm under my calorie limit?
    Thanks!

In theory, yes.

In practice, you might find it hard to eat a balanced diet long term if you're eating that many apples, 'cause it leaves you fewer calories to get your protein, fats, and other vitamins and nutrients in and still keep you feeling full and satisfied.

On the other hand, if you're apple picking in October and you eat 5 apples one day 'cause they're just so delicious, nothing bad will happen to you.
  • NonaEv
    Options
    Yes, I realise that now. Thank you so much! :)