Is it time for new scale?

Options
I have a weight watchers brand scale that's about 2 years old. I'm starting to question it's accuracy for a number of reasons:

1. I weighed myself yesterday before bed, and it said 255.5
2. I weighed myself this morning, after using the restroom, and it STILL said 255.5

I'll also notice that sometimes the scale will say one number, and then it'll say that number every single day for almost an entire week. I thought weight was supposed to fluctuate more? I weigh myself every day in the morning usually, and I don't let it bother me if it's up a bit from the day before.

Replies

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I think you need more data
  • AshC1023
    AshC1023 Posts: 109
    Options
    They do wear out. My bathroom scale (some digital European model, very snazzy) is 4 years or so old. I don't have carpet and my floor is level, but if I move it, it will read differently. Sometimes several pounds worth. It has also stopped reading consistently when it's not moved. Have you considered using another scale, like at a gym or GNC to determine it's accuracy?
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Maybe try weighing something else every day, like a pile of books? If the number does change for that it would point to broken scale. Can you take out the batteries and reset it maybe?
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I think you need more data

It's not just a one time thing. I have been noticing that it's been doing this for about a month. It's like it chooses a random number and then throughout that whole day it'll always tell me that number no matter what for that day.

AshC1023 wrote: »
    They do wear out. My bathroom scale (some digital European model, very snazzy) is 4 years or so old. I don't have carpet and my floor is level, but if I move it, it will read differently. Sometimes several pounds worth. It has also stopped reading consistently when it's not moved. Have you considered using another scale, like at a gym or GNC to determine it's accuracy?

I'm starting to think it may be wearing out. I don't use it on carpet, and I think my bathroom floor is fairly level/I try to make sure it's not sitting on the ridges between the tiles.

sofaking6 wrote: »
    Maybe try weighing something else every day, like a pile of books? If the number does change for that it would point to broken scale. Can you take out the batteries and reset it maybe?

This sounds like a good idea. I'll consider making a stop at a store later to get new batteries and maybe I'll buy a cheap weight to check it against.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    Options
    I just wanted to return back to say that I found something interesting out about Weight Watcher's brand scales, because I bought a brand new one and I was infuriated because it was doing the same exact thing my old scale was doing. Apparently the scales have a memory and it won't tell you a different weight until you're two pounds lighter than the last recorded weight. I really thought I was going crazy. Now I'm just mad at my scale for not being accurate.
  • nightglo
    nightglo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to return back to say that I found something interesting out about Weight Watcher's brand scales, because I bought a brand new one and I was infuriated because it was doing the same exact thing my old scale was doing. Apparently the scales have a memory and it won't tell you a different weight until you're two pounds lighter than the last recorded weight. I really thought I was going crazy. Now I'm just mad at my scale for not being accurate.

It's interesting that you say that because my scale is WW brand and I've had it for 4+ years, and I've always noticed that it seemed to be bringing up a number from memory rather than actually weighing me (eg. with and without clothes) ... but would still be different sometimes. I wonder if this happens with other brands of digital scales? The +/- at least 2lbs for it to not just bring up a number from memory?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    The most important thing about weighing is consistency. Same time, place and same bat channel.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    The most important thing about weighing is consistency. Same time, place and same bat channel.

This does make sense to me. If I'm looking for a weight that I'm going to actually log I try to do it nude in the morning after I've gone to the bathroom. I try not to weigh myself in the afternoon, but if I do weigh myself I take into account that weight can fluctuate a lot throughout the day.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    Options
    nightglo wrote: »

It's interesting that you say that because my scale is WW brand and I've had it for 4+ years, and I've always noticed that it seemed to be bringing up a number from memory rather than actually weighing me (eg. with and without clothes) ... but would still be different sometimes. I wonder if this happens with other brands of digital scales? The +/- at least 2lbs for it to not just bring up a number from memory?

I wish I had looked into it before. Unfortunately the only scales I have ever personally owned were weight watchers brand scales, so I can't say for anything else. What I've been doing now to get a more accurate read is to step on with a pair of 3lb weights first so it's up 6 pounds, then get off and weigh myself again - that usually gives the most accurate read.
  • bbandme
    bbandme Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have WW scales too and interestingly, my weightloss has been going down in 2lb chunks ... grr, how pointless are scales that do that? I weigh myself each morning and had a 2lb drop about 3 days ago so don't expect to see any changes for another week or so, tomorrow I will do as you say and lift something heavy while I'm on them to "reset" the memory, then weight myself again to get an accurate figure.

Still trying to figure out why they do that, what purpose does that serve? :neutral_face:
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    Options
    bbandme wrote: »
    I have WW scales too and interestingly, my weightloss has been going down in 2lb chunks ... grr, how pointless are scales that do that? I weigh myself each morning and had a 2lb drop about 3 days ago so don't expect to see any changes for another week or so, tomorrow I will do as you say and lift something heavy while I'm on them to "reset" the memory, then weight myself again to get an accurate figure.

Still trying to figure out why they do that, what purpose does that serve? :neutral_face:

I think the only way it could be a positive thing is for someone who weighs multiple times a day and gets frustrated if it's up even a little. Maybe the company means well because I know they really only want people to weigh once a week so it's not obsessive. The problem is that I only have mfp set to lose 1.5lbs a week, so except for random days where my fiance has weighed himself, my scale wouldn't move for around two weeks, and THAT got frustrating.
  • zoomtech16
    zoomtech16 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have the same one, and it does the same things you are saying! It's always been super annoying, but I guess I never thought about that. I'll have to do the weights thing I guess.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    When I was shopping for a bathroom scale last year a lot of reviews would complain about the scale reading just being it remembering last weight and not producing a new reading unless a different person weighed or they weighed themselves holding weights and then reweighing.
    This seems to be a common problem among models of scales from various brands. I'm not sure what to look for to avoid it except reading reviews and avoiding the scales where reviewers complain about the scale doing that.

My scale doesn't do that, I have this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IFRZVQI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It does however read in 0.2 increments instead of 0.1 increments. Which I don't care for.
  • sajerd
    sajerd Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My hubby actually got me the fitbit Aria scale for valentines day (I asked for it instead of chocolates!). I really like it because it syncs with fitbit and MFP and will keep a record over time. I'm into this weight loss and getting healthy kick right now so I'm so happy with it, and my hubby. Time will tell how accurate it is. I'm down 10lbs in last month, so Motivation is high. Do yourself a favor, get a new scale. Best!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I have a mega cheapo analog scale which seems to work very well except that I can only really tell my weight when it lands on a big hashmark (every 5 pounds) and in between I'm just guessing :)
  • aimeecardiff
    Options
    I bought the cheapest digital scale from argos about 4 years ago, and I think it's still working fine, but does only show whole pounds.

I can't believe ww made their scales that way!
  • smalls9686
    smalls9686 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a weight watchers brand scale that's about 2 years old. I'm starting to question it's accuracy for a number of reasons:

2. I weighed myself this morning, after using the restroom, and it STILL said 255.5

I'll also notice that sometimes the scale will say one number, and then it'll say that number every single day for almost an entire week. I thought weight was supposed to fluctuate more? I weigh myself every day in the morning usually, and I don't let it bother me if it's up a bit from the day before.

I have the best scale keeps me from getting obsessed on a # it tells you pound up or down from last time on and total lost or gain from day one. It will register s zero for weighing more than once in 24 hours. It's called the Zero Scale... Great for ED recovers.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    Options
    smalls9686 wrote: »

I have the best scale keeps me from getting obsessed on a # it tells you pound up or down from last time on and total lost or gain from day one. It will register s zero for weighing more than once in 24 hours. It's called the Zero Scale... Great for ED recovers.

That does sound like a good idea for someone who lets the scale get to them like that. I never really let the scale upset me. One positive thing I can say about myself is that I've usually got a good idea on whether or not the scale will be up or down. I'm pretty honest when I've not done well. A good example is that on Sunday I ate a LOT more food than I was supposed to. It did not surprise me that the scale went up the next day. I'm not discouraged though because I just hopped right back on my food plan it and I did well yesterday and today already is looking like it's going to be a great day. :smile:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

that is the stupidest thing ive ever heard!!!!!!!!!!! get a real scale! ugh!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    this is the one i have and i havent had any issues with it http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KXZ808/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1