Heart rate monitor that syncs to my fitness pal?

Options
Hello

I am interested in buying a heart rate monitor to use at the gym but i do not want to spend loads of money.

Could anyone recommend a fairly simple other than fit bit

Claire

Replies

• WKATHY70
    WKATHY70 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I wear BodyMedia...the only down side is that it is a little gawky on the arm
  • Crystlee80
    Crystlee80 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    WKATHY70 wrote: »
    I wear BodyMedia...the only down side is that it is a little gawky on the arm

I know Body Media was bought out by Jaw bone, I have a friend who found a Fit Bugg brand new in the box at the Salvation Army wouldit still work
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Fitbits and HRMs are different tools. What activities do you do and what data do you want to track?
  • Geekyfatgirl
    Geekyfatgirl Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 HRM. If you buy it from the polar store, it's pretty pricey, but if you get it from Bestbuy or another retailer, you can find it for half the cost. I also bought the Polar sync with it too, so I can put the watch on that and watch it sync to the computer and show me what I'm doing.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Fitbits and HRMs are different tools. What activities do you do and what data do you want to track?

Fitbit has the Charger HR, which does both tracks steps and heart rate.. and then some like tracking your sleep, has an alarm and other cool things!
  • Claire8614
    Claire8614 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've already got a fit bit flex so didn't really think it was worth getting the heart rate one esp given the price.

Would like a heart rate monitor mainly for gym use that I might be able to use if I take up running
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options

There is now a Fitbit that has a HR monitor. I wear the Charge HR and it was reading my HR the same as my dr's office read it, so it seems pretty accurate.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    tlblood wrote: »

There is now a Fitbit that has a HR monitor. I wear the Charge HR and it was reading my HR the same as my dr's office read it, so it seems pretty accurate.

The HR on the Surge and Charge HR are wildly inaccurate during exercise. It isn't hard to make a sensor that works well in very controlled conditions ... like sitting in a doctor's office. One that is accurate when bounced, jostled, and jarred takes more engineering. Some tests show an over 20% variance between the Fitbits with HR capability and established sensors (including the opticals that work well).

Now back to the "I have a (insert here) ... get one" line of thinking rather than bothering to ask what the OP is actually looking to track or bothering to understand what compromises each device makes as it tries to do all things at once.
  • Claire8614
    Claire8614 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I have brought a polar watch now I'm hoping this will be a good watch :)
    tlblood wrote: »

The HR on the Surge and Charge HR are wildly inaccurate during exercise. It isn't hard to make a sensor that works well in very controlled conditions ... like sitting in a doctor's office. One that is accurate when bounced, jostled, and jarred takes more engineering. Some tests show an over 20% variance between the Fitbits with HR capability and established sensors (including the opticals that work well).

Now back to the "I have a (insert here) ... get one" line of thinking rather than bothering to ask what the OP is actually looking to track or bothering to understand what compromises each device makes as it tries to do all things at once.