13»

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Similarly - I eat lunch at my desk and use my lunch "break" to use the gym.

Sounds nice, but OP is a woman. I don't want to generalize, but *most* women don't really have the option of doing this because it takes us longer to shower, change and do our hair and makeup after a gym workout. It's harder for us than it is for you guys to just splash some water on the face, towel off and go back to our desks.

It's not fair but that's just the modern workplace reality. Most of you men have no idea what we women are expected to do just to look "business appropriate".

Yes--but another option is using your lunch break or 15-minutes breaks for quick walks.
    Those generally only require a change of shoes.

I try to walk around my block (one mile) three times a day on my various breaks. Granted, I mostly work from home and nobody cares how I look...but I generally don't get very sweaty, especially in the winter.

I'm not a very high-maintenance woman, but there is no way I would look presentable for work after a real workout. That's why I do them at the end of the day and then shower.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I do use my lunch hour for walks, and I also cycle to and from the office in the warmer months.

They're not excuses; they're practical solutions. Just because somebody doesn't do exactly what you do doesn't mean they're not doing something else that's working for them.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    I do use my lunch hour for walks, and I also cycle to and from the office in the warmer months.

They're not excuses; they're practical solutions. Just because somebody doesn't do exactly what you do doesn't mean they're not doing something else that's working for them.

Sure. I think that a lot of men really do underestimate how much effort goes into female hygiene. Especially if you need to wear a lot of makeup, or if like me you have impossible hair--it can easily take 20-30 minutes to get put-together again.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I am out of the house by 7:00 taking my kids to school then off to work. Work is technically from 9-6 but we are usually here until later. As of now I am taking two late night Kickboxing classes which start at 9:15-10:15. I'm in bed by 11PM. So far this has been working for me.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

Sure. I think that a lot of men really do underestimate how much effort goes into female hygiene. Especially if you need to wear a lot of makeup, or if like me you have impossible hair--it can easily take 20-30 minutes to get put-together again.

It doesn't take me 20-30 min to get my hair put together again. I have naturally curly hair which can be a b*tch. I keep bobby pins and head bands in my desk in case my hair is absolutely insane. It takes me five min to pin up my hair.

Otherwise, i use dry shampoo, oil absorbing sheets & waterproof mascara.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

Yeah, I mean, this varies from one woman to another. But it is one of those things that many men tend to underestimate.

Anyway, OP, I hope you've gotten some good ideas here on how you can get more exercise into your desk job life. Feel free to pick and choose the ones that sound practical, and try taking baby steps, incorporating a bit at a time until it becomes habit.

Good luck!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

And I think that's a fine idea.

By "excuses" I mean the idea that you can't do ANYTHING over the noon hour because, hair and makeup.

If I implied that you HAD to go to the gym over the noon hour, I apologize - I didn't mean to. Just that for someone (like the OP) who admittedly doesn't really have time or energy before or after work to get some movement in, it's another option.

And to be fair, I think a lot of women underestimate how much effort some of guys actually make too. Yanno...to be fair and all.
  • mariepar
    mariepar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My take is a bit different. I've been circling around this issue for several years. After my second child I was almost down to pre baby weight but in the last 9 years have put on 60 lbs from a 3hr return commute and a high stress, desk job. Mornings are tough with two kids and husband who travels = on my own a lot and kids are not quite old enough to be left alone. Nights are stress-filled marathon to pick up the kids/make dinner/take them to sports/homework. Lunches are a short cram, no time to workout. Weekends are for housework and activities with the kids since those are in short supply through the week.

I've come to the conclusion that I need a new job closer to home/working from home - easier said than done but I'm working on it. Sometimes your health is more important and your job is indeed the problem. No getting around it and you can beat your head against the wall trying - I've done that and the stress ball keeps a rollin' - packing on those pounds!
  • azulvioleta6
    Options

It doesn't take me 20-30 min to get my hair put together again. I have naturally curly hair which can be a b*tch. I keep bobby pins and head bands in my desk in case my hair is absolutely insane. It takes me five min to pin up my hair.

My naturally curly hair* really cannot be saved without a shower. I sweat profusely from the head. Plus I can't blow dry it much, so fixing my hair alone takes me an hour. After a workout, my hair is completely soaking wet.

*I was once asked by an online friend who had never met me in person if my curly hair was more like Bonnie Bedelia or a poodle. Sadly, poodle is the honest answer. It takes a while to get closer to Bonnie Bedelia.

4dd1e3111f5a60fe091845d691ef5c2c.jpg
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add one of my other multi-tasking tips. . . I exercise while I am blow drying my hair and brushing my teeth, plenty of leg lifts and squats can be done in that 10 minutes in the morning.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

And I think that's a fine idea.

By "excuses" I mean the idea that you can't do ANYTHING over the noon hour because, hair and makeup.

If I implied that you HAD to go to the gym over the noon hour, I apologize - I didn't mean to. Just that for someone (like the OP) who admittedly doesn't really have time or energy before or after work to get some movement in, it's another option.

And to be fair, I think a lot of women underestimate how much effort some of guys actually make too. Yanno...to be fair and all.

I got yo' back, dude! LOL! I think the excuses about hair/make up are LAME. and I'm a girl! If there's a will, there's a way!

I use waterproof mascara & eyeliner in the morning, so when I workout at lunch I don't have to worry about anything running or smudging. I also use dry shampoo, oil absorbing sheets and pin my hair up if needed.

It's all about time management - for men OR women!
  • azulvioleta6
    Options

I got yo' back, dude! LOL! I think the excuses about hair/make up are LAME. and I'm a girl! If there's a will, there's a way!

I still get about two hours of exercise a day...not really letting excuses slow me down much.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Similarly - I eat lunch at my desk and use my lunch "break" to use the gym.

Sounds nice, but OP is a woman. I don't want to generalize, but *most* women don't really have the option of doing this because it takes us longer to shower, change and do our hair and makeup after a gym workout. It's harder for us than it is for you guys to just splash some water on the face, towel off and go back to our desks.

It's not fair but that's just the modern workplace reality. Most of you men have no idea what we women are expected to do just to look "business appropriate".

Well I'm glad that no one in my workplace cares about that excuse (they would rather see me fit, healthy and happy)... as long as I don't stink I'm good... I use my lunch break often for working out because it's the only time I can get to do it...

Seriously OP... make time... even if it's a few minute walk breaks during your day (you're working 12 days 6 days a week according to your post you are entitled to 15 minutes every 4 hours... use it and your productivity will go up)... eat at a decent calorie deficit and find ways to get off your butt... I walk our hallway for 15 minutes 2-3 times a day when our weather isn't desirable... when I'm able to (per doctors orders) I go to the park or the gym for my lunch break... I need to for my sanity and my well being...
  • eggomylegos
    eggomylegos Posts: 146 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

My naturally curly hair* really cannot be saved without a shower. I sweat profusely from the head. Plus I can't blow dry it much, so fixing my hair alone takes me an hour. After a workout, my hair is completely soaking wet.

*I was once asked by an online friend who had never met me in person if my curly hair was more like Bonnie Bedelia or a poodle. Sadly, poodle is the honest answer. It takes a while to get closer to Bonnie Bedelia.

4dd1e3111f5a60fe091845d691ef5c2c.jpg

Thank you for understanding the struggle of curly haired girls.

I don't think that earlier statement is demeaning at all. I have yet to meet a man who avoids an afternoon workout because his hair would be out of sorts for the rest of the day.

Unfortunately, my hair is not capable of being "put back together" after a long workout. When the frizz begins, it's game over. That means lunch gym visits are out. It's annoying, not a deal breaker. If my schedule doesn't allow for a morning workout, I go in the evening. I keep a gym bag in the car, and tie my hair back when it gets ridiculous (and it does get ridiculous, every single time)

What it comes down to for me is doing everything I can to make sure it's possible to get in a good workout no matter what. That's all there is to it.