in need of positivity and advice...no negative Nancy's please.

Options
2»

Replies

• sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    My suggestions are buy a food scale right away and start logging every single thing you eat, even if you don't want to admit what you ate. This is for you! BTW, the non-asterisked items in the database are the ones you should select whenever possible, like "Plums-raw" or "Pork - cured, bacon, cooked, pan-fried" for example. The asterisked items have been added by users and are not always accurate.

55835802.png

• Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making a commitment to improve your health!! Below I have listed a brief overview of what has worked for me thus far. It might just work for you too. :) I've been going strong for almost 14 months, and I'm down 70+ lbs.
    • Log everything you eat and drink.
    • Drink plenty of water. I started with 6 cups and slowly challenged myself to drink more.
    • Commit to some form of exercise 3 times a week if you can.
    • Join some of the groups. You can find plenty of support and encouragement.
    • Don't obsess over the scale. If your goal is to get healthy, take measurements, pictures along the way, and gage how your clothes are fitting. The scale can be unnecessarily cruel. ;)
    • Finally, enjoy the journey. This is the time to try some new healthy foods, enjoy the company you are with more than the food your eating, listen to your body and fuel it accordingly, and challenge your body to do some new moves.

Wishing you all the best!
  • Mrs2019
    Mrs2019 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone...i was a little nervous about posting and reaching out to strangers for help but you guys are AWESOME! So many kind words and great tips. Good luck to everyone on your journey
  • barlovo
    barlovo Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi crazy4cat : 60 lbs is hard but doable. I've lost 75 and have 35 to go. Focus on building good sustainable habits. After you lose the weight, you have to maintain the loss, so don't do anything to lose weight that you don't want to do for the rest of your life :smile:

As a starting point, just log everything you eat. Don't try to change anything right away, just work to become more aware of your eating patterns. Notice if there are any situations or times of the day when you tend to eat more than you would like to. Those are good places to start making changes.

Last tip: if you don't already, eat a good breakfast every morning, one with lots of protein and fiber. I usually have a big bowl of greek yogurt, unsweetened museli, and fresh fruit; but that's just me. It's easier to eat healthily when you start the day right.
  • tomalee
    tomalee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    crazy4cat wrote: »
    I'm looking it improve my health and lose about 60lbs. It's a little overwhelming so any advice you can offer on staying focused and motivated would be appreciated.

• tomalee
    tomalee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I feel the same. Struggling to lose 80 pounds and have hypothyroidism. Any ideas and support are appreciated and I will offer any I can! :)
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options