Diary Obsession

Options
Hello to you all..
Is it unreasonable to be MFP diary obsessed or will you not achieve your goals if you are not.
I just added my food for the day and deleted an afternoon apple because it would have taken me over my sugar recommendation......
Is that too obsessive and should I see is as a guide not a template?

Would love your views.....B

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    MFPs sugar recommendation is too low unless you have a medical issues I'd ignore that. Concentrate on overall calories for weight loss try and go for your protein Macro eat a variety of foods and everything else will fall into place
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Is your user name from the epic Yes song? Thumbs up if it is. I listen to it on the treadmill.

Anyway, as to your question, the MFP sugar recommendations are notoriously low. I've shared the anecdote before, but I'll share it again to illustrate.

I'm older and short, so I have a pretty low calorie allowance, and I went over my sugar allotment one day with absolutely no fruit or added sugar in my day.

You want to know what the highest sugar item in my day was?

Cauliflower!

Yup.

Sugary, sugary cauliflower. Granted, I ate an unholy amount of it, but still. I'd had cottage cheese (lactose!), yogurt (more lactose!), half and half (more lactose!) some lentils (oh, those sugary bad boys!) and that did me in as far as the MFP sugar gods were concerned.

Don't sweat it, track fiber instead if seeing red there is going to make you worry.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »
    MFPs sugar recommendation is too low unless you have a medical issues I'd ignore that. Concentrate on overall calories for weight loss try and go for your protein Macro eat a variety of foods and everything else will fall into place

this
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    small voice....I actually think MFP's protein macro is a little low.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    small voice....I actually think MFP's protein macro is a little low.

also true!
  • GatesOfDelirium
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice, I just love this app.....I will ignore as suggested and monitor calorie intake.
    Gates Of delirium by YES, well spotted!!
    I also think the protein is low as mine is 77 and I have been told it should be nearer 115!
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Hello to you all..
    Is it unreasonable to be MFP diary obsessed or will you not achieve your goals if you are not.
    I just added my food for the day and deleted an afternoon apple because it would have taken me over my sugar recommendation......
    Is that too obsessive and should I see is as a guide not a template?

Would love your views.....B

I mainly look at the calories number but I try not to obsess over it. I used to be too caught up in getting all my numbers perfect every day but now I have eased off that to the point where now I don't even bother to record my food at all on the weekends. I've learned enough about portion control to trust myself not to overeat for a couple of days each week.

"A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace..."
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I switch foods out all the time if they take me over calories or sodium (my own dietary boogeymen). I'm not diary obsessed. Well, I don't *think* I'm obsessed.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. There's no need to track sugar or delete your apple.

Also, you can change the macro settings to increase protein if you feel it's too low for you. For example, mine are set at 5% carb, 75% fat, and 20% protein.

I switch foods out and even play around with portions in order to get my calories and macros close to my goal. I get made fun of occasionally..but I wouldn't consider it to be obsessive. I'm just trying to be healthier and keeping track of what I'm eating helps.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice, I just love this app.....I will ignore as suggested and monitor calorie intake.
    Gates Of delirium by YES, well spotted!!
    I also think the protein is low as mine is 77 and I have been told it should be nearer 115!

OT - but I heard Roundabout on the radio Monday and was so happy!!!