Is running 10km in 65 minutes slow?

Options
Is this considered slow?What's your 10k time?

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    It's not slow.
    It's about middle of the pack if you're racing.
    It's approximately 5.72mph which is a 10:29/mile

My last 10k race was in September 2012 with a 55:51 (8:59/mi)
  • shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    Don't let anyone tell you that's slow! I'd be pleased with that time:-)

When I started people scoffed at my 11 minute miles. After 1.5 months training my 10k time is approximately 57 minutes. That's 9.30 minute miles.

Cheers,
    Shaun.
  • jonsmithkidd
    jonsmithkidd Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Running 10km at all is an achievement. Doing it under 12 minutes a mile is a bigger achievement. Doing it as fast as you can is the biggest achievement. Well done!!
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    the only time you should be trying to beat is your personal best....dont worry about others
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    A hell of a lot of people can't run 10K at all. You should be pleased with whatever time you can manage it in! I ran a 10K earlier this month with a very similar finishing time (so if you're slow so am I) and I was bang in the middle of the participants really. More mileage and some intervals/speed work will help you bring that time down if you want to.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    what everyone else said! that's about my 10k time, and considering a few years ago i had a back injury that threw into question whether i would be able to run again at all, i'm absolutely thrilled to bits with it. I'm working on getting closer to 60 mins for the spring - I will never be an elite runner, but I can be a better runner than I was 3 months ago, a year ago etc. Consider your time a fantastic achievement, and also a new challenge in the form of a time to beat! good luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    As upthread, for a flat race it would be middle of the pack, but ti really depends on terrain. My 10Km time on a trail with a lot of ascent and descent is several minutes slower than my time on a flat pavement.

The main benchmark has to be yourself, you won't always be faster but as long as you're trending an improvement that's the main thing.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    00mid wrote: »
    Is this considered slow?What's your 10k time?

i dont think its slow, my first 10k was 64:23, i'm aiming for under 60 minutes next time!
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Speed is relative.

For me it's slower than my recovery pace, for someone else it's their racing all out pace. Unless you are running to qualify for the Olympics, the only person you are really racing is yourself!

Have fun, run, and you'll get faster with time :smile:
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Comment above is right on point. It's all relative. Unless you're trying to go out and win/medal in an event, it's all about what a fast pace is for you. (what your goal is, what you need to PB, etc.)

One I realized that there are lots of runners in front of me and behind me at every event, I just worried about competing against my goal time and not what everyone else was doing. ( Well, except for you old man with the pony tail at the last event....I know you tried to race me the last mile of and we both were pushing to cross the finish line first. :) We laughed at the cool down about it)

As others have said, that will put you in the middle of the pack in most events.