Not loosing weight and getting disheartened

Options
I have around 2 stone to loose in total and so far I have lost around 3kg. I swim once a week for an hour. I run 7.5k twice a week and do smaller 4k runs twice a week. I have an activity tracker to make sure I do lots of steps and normally average around 16,000 steps per day. I also do not eat more that 1300 calories a day but the weight is not coming off. This week I only lost 0.4of a pound, last week I put on 2 lbs! I AM LOOSING HOPE THAT I WILL EVER SEE A DIFFERENCE ON THE SCALES

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Weight loss starts in the kitchen, all the exercise is irrelevant.
    Also, is this exercise new? Water retention goes hand in hand with new exercise programs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    its not all about the scales... do you feel better? is the pace of your runs increasing? do your clothes feel looser?

that being said, if you're only eating 1300 cals you should be losing weight. do you use scales to measure your food?
  • eskimokelly
    Options
    Yes, my scales are the most used thing in my kitchen
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    All that exercise you must be feeling fitter. Are you noticing a difference in other areas other than the scale?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating your calories eaten?

Are you weighing your food, or are you eyeballing, or are you using measuring cups/spoons? All solid food should be weighed, no measuring cups or spoons, and preferably no eyeballing.

Are you verifying that the nutrition info in the MFP database is in fact correct? I have seen errors and I verify everything before using it. I usually prefer to add my own foods.

Are you using the MFP calculations for exercise calories and eating them back? You could be over-crediting yourself because the MFP calorie estimations for exercise are often seriously out of whack. I do not eat back exercise calories for this reason - If I exercise a lot I generally use about 1/2 of what MFP says I earned.

Are you taking in a lot of sodium? Are you well hydrated & drinking lots of water? Water retention could have something to do with it.

Finally how are you weighing yourself? Ideally you should weigh yourself at the same time every time you do it, such as first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and before getting dressed or eating breakfast. I always weigh myself then, in my undies. The time of day and clothing you wear has an impact on the scale read out! If one time you're wearing thin shorts and a t shirt first thing in the morning, then later that day you weigh yourself after supper wearing blue jeans and a sweater - you could have several pounds difference from the morning readout.

How long have you been doing this? For some people it takes a week or two before it starts to "kick in."

Don't be discouraged - just evaluate what you're doing and adjust as necessary.
  • eskimokelly
    Options
    I suppose my trousers are a little loser, and I certainly never feel out of breath no matter how fast I walk or mop or vacuum etc.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I suppose my trousers are a little loser, and I certainly never feel out of breath no matter how fast I walk or mop or vacuum etc.

This is much better success than the scale! Awesome job.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Yes, my scales are the most used thing in my kitchen

opening your diary might help?
  • Rashanti1
    Rashanti1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

With trying new exercises and working out muscles that aren't used very much, you're going to build a little muscle and retain water in the process. Your clothes being looser indicates that you're losing inches, which means that you're most likely losing fat.

• eskimokelly
    Options
    I always weigh all my food and never eat any of the exercise calories. I literally stick to my calorie goals each day. I drink lots of water too. I have been doing it a few months now. And looking back on my weight logs over all I have lost 7.7kg since about November so really that's very good. Maybe I am gaining muscle so therefore the scales are not showing much change. I will stick at it and see where I am weight wise in a month or so. Thanks for the encouragement everyone. X
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I always weigh all my food and never eat any of the exercise calories. I literally stick to my calorie goals each day. I drink lots of water too. I have been doing it a few months now. And looking back on my weight logs over all I have lost 7.7kg since about November so really that's very good. Maybe I am gaining muscle so therefore the scales are not showing much change. I will stick at it and see where I am weight wise in a month or so. Thanks for the encouragement everyone. X

You're not gaining muscle on 1300 cals
  • eskimokelly
    Options
    Do you think I need to eat more or less Tavistock Toad?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Do you think I need to eat more or less Tavistock Toad?

You said you've lost 7.7kg since November and are happy with that? If so then you're eating the right amount.

I was just saying that you're not building muscle eating in a deficit.
  • eskimokelly
    Options
    Right, well I am wanting to loose weight more than build muscle as such so 1300 is about the right amount. Although, that being said I would like to build core muscles and shape my arms too. What do you suggest?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Right, well I am wanting to loose weight more than build muscle as such so 1300 is about the right amount. Although, that being said I would like to build core muscles and shape my arms too. What do you suggest?

Losing fat will shape your arms. Adding in some strength/resistance training into your routine will help.

Once you've lost enough fat you can decide if you want to bulk to add some more muscle.
  • eskimokelly
    Options
    That's really good advice Tavistock Toad, thanks so much. I am going to do exactly that, concentrate on fat loss then move onto muscle and core improvement. Thanks so much. Off subject, are you really from Tavistock? I'm in Plymouth and my father and his side of the family were all brought up in Tavi.
  • sbahlezinwe67
    sbahlezinwe67 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have around 2 stone to loose in total and so far I have lost around 3kg. I swim once a week for an hour. I run 7.5k twice a week and do smaller 4k runs twice a week. I have an activity tracker to make sure I do lots of steps and normally average around 16,000 steps per day. I also do not eat more that 1300 calories a day but the weight is not coming off. This week I only lost 0.4of a pound, last week I put on 2 lbs! I AM LOOSING HOPE THAT I WILL EVER SEE A DIFFERENCE ON THE SCALES

I have struggled with the same problem it seems as if you put more effort in working out the scale just stops its so depressing what I do know is, normally I eat 1200 calories a day, but if the scale stops I lower my calories to one thousand and eat only meat and veggies on that day than on the following day up them to a normal 1200 and eat normal as well you won't blive how low the scale go from that trick
  • misskarihari
    misskarihari Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    7.7kg since november is a good, slow loss. Way to go!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking that weight loss will be consistent every week - it won't!!
    Just like when you get to maintenance your weight won't remain constant day to day or week to week.

Your diary is private, if you want guidance then you need to make it public or everyone is just guessing. But.... you have lost 17lbs in how many weeks? If you are losing on average around 1lb a week you would seem to be doing it right.

PS - you are going to confuse a lot of people by mixing stones, lbs and kg!