3500 calories....

Options
13»

Replies

• chrisinthebox16
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    I would suggest picking a weight gain goal on MFP of 1lb/week (500 cal/day surplus) eat those cals and lift heavy things (check out starting strength, strong lifts 5x5, good beginner programs and easy to follow).

Don't just try to gain 15lbs then train, as fat does not turn into muscle. If you start lifting now and gain 15lbs you may be able to put on 5-10 of muscle and 5-10 of fat, much better than 15 lbs of fat and no muscle.

Aww I see what you're saying like 5x5 are working out core groups correct? Benching, squatting, dead lifts, etc...
    I tried out in school for powerlifting and couldn't dead lift 225 haha
  • markzak26
    markzak26 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

[/quote]
    Thanks man! I appreciate the support, probably a dumbo for asking this but is there a way I can track exactly how many calories I burn durning a workout? I've seen like step and calorie counting watches and wristbands, but how do you measure it when you weight train?

[/quote]

I wouldn't count calories when weight training as I don't think the amount you actually burn will be a significant number. I would only track any cardio you plan on doing.

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    I would suggest picking a weight gain goal on MFP of 1lb/week (500 cal/day surplus) eat those cals and lift heavy things (check out starting strength, strong lifts 5x5, good beginner programs and easy to follow).

Don't just try to gain 15lbs then train, as fat does not turn into muscle. If you start lifting now and gain 15lbs you may be able to put on 5-10 of muscle and 5-10 of fat, much better than 15 lbs of fat and no muscle.

Aww I see what you're saying like 5x5 are working out core groups correct? Benching, squatting, dead lifts, etc...
    I tried out in school for powerlifting and couldn't dead lift 225 haha

That is what it is. With these programs you will start at 45lbs (empty bar) and build up quickly from there
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    So 3500 too much? What do recommend maybe between 2500-2700? I hear you multiply your weight x . 20 that correct?

So, how does that math work out? if you weigh 145 x .2=29??
  • chrisinthebox16
    Options
    markzak26 wrote: »

Thanks man! I appreciate the support, probably a dumbo for asking this but is there a way I can track exactly how many calories I burn durning a workout? I've seen like step and calorie counting watches and wristbands, but how do you measure it when you weight train?

[/quote]

I wouldn't count calories when weight training as I don't think the amount you actually burn will be a significant number. I would only track any cardio you plan on doing.

[/quote]

Ah I see. Well I definitely will be doing my homework tonight, need to reevaluate my goal. Thanks for everyone's input, super stoked!

Will be posting results in a month for anyone who wants to follow.
    God bless you all in the name of Jesus.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Campus cafeteria with meal plan available? If so, eat all the things...and begin a beginning strength program of your choosing.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Simple. Do what the other posters are telling you. EAT AND LIFT. If you eat but don't lift, you'll just get fat. If you eat and lift, you will gain muscle. You will also gain some fat. That's why weight lifters then cut, which is when they lower their calories to lose the fat. You can't predict exactly how much to eat over your TDEE but you have to eat at a surplus to gain muscle. Then you cut to lose the fat and show off your muscles. One more thing, lean more towards protein than carbs.
  • cahsrcook
    cahsrcook Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You know you could get a sub from Subway load it with toppings and condiment sauces that'd help with a minimum of 1000 cals. Extra sauce is the calorie killer.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    When I set up my account that's the amount that was recommended, it "said" that if I eat 3500cal I would gain a lb a day putting me at 145 by March 5th

but you're not working out, so you will just gain fat.
    Because I want to look like "Arnold"!

No but eh just been a skinny cat my whole life, wanna see how far I can take my body.
    Well he is now lol..
    Okay so then Tavis, what do you propose I do then? But bare in mind my ultimate goal is muscle mass, not trying to be jack shredded.

Yeah..... if you aren't lifting and eating a calorie surplus like that, the only place it is going to look like you took your body to was McDonald's drive through every day.

Doesn't take a lot of time to get a lifting workout in. Not sure how you expect to gain muscle without lifting heavy *kitten* weights and putting the work in.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Not sure I fully understand macros.
    For me working out isn't the problem, it's my diet. I've been told I have a hyper active thyroid or in other terms a fast metabolism. To answer you're question I want to gain fat and some weight to turn into muscle.

yea, that is not how it works..

you don't gain fat and then turn it into muscle.

You eat in a surplus and get on heavy lifting program to maximize muscle gain and limit fat gains...

what are you are proposing doing is adding ten pounds of fat, and then strength training and adding another ten pounds of fat and muscle...assuming a 1:1 ratio of fat to muscle that means that you would put on 15 pounds of fat and 5 pound of muscle...

get on a lifting program now, and don't wait...

if you are new to lifting find a beginner program like starting strength or stronglifts ...
  • carlosjenno
    carlosjenno Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Workout. Workout. Workout.
    Lift. Lift. Lift.
    Eat. Eat. Eat.
    Lift. Lift. Lift.
    Run. Run. Run.
    Eat. Eat. Eat.
    Lift. Lift. Lift.
    Gain. Gain. Gain.
    Eat. Eat. Eat.

Mix and match the above into some semblance of order, make sure you're eating appropriate, lifting heavy and doing plenty of cardio. Recent studies suggest that you will gain more quality mass if you're lifting heavy if you're mixing in some good cardio workouts too, and it's good for the main muscle in your body.

There's nothing to be gained from eating indiscriminately, and I think the advice that's been given is far from ill-advised, unless you're meaning the advice you were given prior to coming here. If you want to gain masses of weight and do yourself no favours, drink copious amounts of Guinness every night. You'll soon reach your goal, but end up looking like Johnny Vegas. If you want to look like a ripped, fighting weight bantamweight boxer, eat well, fresh fruit, loads of vegetables and lean meat and work out. Hard.
  • MrsTesterman1618
    MrsTesterman1618 Posts: 16
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My husband used the muscle milk powder and packed on lean weight really fast. He was also weight lifting though. He buffed up it seemed almost overnight. Which is really saying something for him because before this you could shove 30 gallons of straight lard down him and he'd just burn it right up! Lol! Hope this helped
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to go into a long explaination of why what you doing probably won't lead to the results you expect. I suggest you just go to this site http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ and do the research before you continue. Note that the p ratio means that it's easier to gain muscle when lean and lose fat with higher BF% and learn how to use this to it's best advantage.

If you just want to gain fat fine but you might not be doing yourself any favours in the end, but I'll leave the choice up to you but just be better informed as you go forward. Good luck.
  • starlalite
    starlalite Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think you are just fine. I say eat ice cream and continue to workout. Man....wish I could do that...lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Do y'all think I should EAT and work out as I go? I feel that I would just burn to many calories

You should eat big and lift big...that's how you put on muscle. You don't put on muscle just by putting on weight (fat) and hoping it turns into muscle...that's not how it works. You are in an optimal position to do a proper bulk...not sure why you wouldn't want to do it correctly.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Not sure I fully understand macros.
    For me working out isn't the problem, it's my diet. I've been told I have a hyper active thyroid or in other terms a fast metabolism. To answer you're question I want to gain fat and some weight to turn into muscle.

Have you been told, or have you been diagnosed? Because, uh, untreated hyperthyroidism is a bad thing.

And men CAN get yeast infections, but no one gets yeast infections from eating a box of pasta.