Deciding on new blender

Options
Hey guys,
So my trusty blender is slowly (ok not so slowly) dying the death, it's waving the white flag and begging for retirement!!

The blender I have been using isn't overly powerful, that's not to say that I wouldn't like more power.. I'm just unsure how much power I need(ok.. want.. If I 'needed' it.. I'd have one by now lol)!!

Here is the lowdown, I have been sitting and browsing amazon for some time now and I keep talking myself in and out of buying a blendtec blender. The only issue I have is I'm really wondering if this is a serious overkill, after-all the blender I have been using was only 500W!

I'm wanting the ability to pulverize ice and ingredients quickly and effectively but this wouldn't be seeing any 'serious' use other than the occasional smoothie and daily protein shakes!

The blendtec is at around £329.99 here in the UK for the blender and wildside jar, I have however seen similar blenders for between the £100 - £200 price range that I'm thinking would suit my purpose nicely.

Has anybody got any experience with the Heston Blumenthal Sage?

Any other suggestions?

Although I'm not against spending on the blendtec if it comes to it, I don't see a need to waste my money either and I'm really beginning to think that I'm more buying into the name than any use I might have for such a high powered machine.

Thoughts and input appreciated!!

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I just use my Nutribullet for everything. Made cookie butter with it a few nights ago, was a little.... hard to do, but it worked and turned out amazing.

Ever consider one of those?
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE a vitamix but those are pricey. Nearly top of the line.

I did get a Ninja and it pretty good. Pulverizes ice. Almonds turn to dust.
  • michellekeegan73
    Options
    Hands down best blender ever plus the individual smoothie/drink attachment w/travel cups are awesome....http://www.ninjakitchen.com/mega-kitchen-system/index.html
  • natebollinger
    natebollinger Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ninja Master Prep without question (if you are purchasing it for protein shakes/smoothies). It has a large capacity. We have the bullet as well and it doesn't hold everything I need and the blender blade positioning on the Ninja is brilliant. Check the reviews on Amazon. Good price too!

http://www.amazon.com/Ninja-QB900B-Master-Prep/dp/B003XU3C7M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424272380&sr=8-1&keywords=ninja+blender
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I love my Nutri Ninja. Not all that expensive and it's a workhorse. (That's high praise from someone who burned out 3 blenders in the year prior to getting the Ninja.)
  • natebollinger
    natebollinger Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE a vitamix but those are pricey. Nearly top of the line.

I did get a Ninja and it pretty good. Pulverizes ice. Almonds turn to dust.

^ This ^
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I just use my Nutribullet for everything. Made cookie butter with it a few nights ago, was a little.... hard to do, but it worked and turned out amazing.

whoa, whoa WHOA....!!!! COOKIE butter!?!?! Please elaborate....
  • RoToQ
    RoToQ Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I just use a blend active, which I got for 19.99 and fits my current uses perfectly, mainly making protein shakes and all sorts of protein pancake recipes etc. But a couple of my friends have the nutribullet and highly recommend it.
  • CindyRoseMarie
    CindyRoseMarie Posts: 28 Member
    Options

Cookie Butter (sugar, eggs and butter)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    We have several blenders at home and by far the best so far has been the Ninja.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Although I have looked at the nutrabullet as an option, the size of the jug is the real issue to me with it.

I love my Nutri Ninja. Not all that expensive and it's a workhorse. (That's high praise from someone who burned out 3 blenders in the year prior to getting the Ninja.)

This is more of a reply to all the 'ninja' comments above, just picked one at random!
    Thanks for the advise regarding ninja, I'm gonna do some research now and see if it's gonna be the thing for me.
    By the reviews above it really seems like it would do my job nicely!
    RoToQ wrote: »
    I just use a blend active, which I got for 19.99 and fits my current uses perfectly, mainly making protein shakes and all sorts of protein pancake recipes etc. But a couple of my friends have the nutribullet and highly recommend it.

I actually have one of these and find it a great little piece of kit for 'on the go' but with only a 300W motor, it doesn't quite get shakes or smoothies to the consistency I like. I think it's all about personal preference.
    My 500W has only just been making the cut, it's more power that I need I think.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

http://www.jsonline.com/features/food/homemade-cookie-butter-mirrors-store-bought--but-does-it-save-money-b99210391z1-246916721.html

made that exact recipe, it turns out DARKER than store bought cookie butter, but, it's 10x more fresh and tastier.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Adam2k10 wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    So my trusty blender is slowly (ok not so slowly) dying the death, it's waving the white flag and begging for retirement!!

The blender I have been using isn't overly powerful, that's not to say that I wouldn't like more power.. I'm just unsure how much power I need(ok.. want.. If I 'needed' it.. I'd have one by now lol)!!

Here is the lowdown, I have been sitting and browsing amazon for some time now and I keep talking myself in and out of buying a blendtec blender. The only issue I have is I'm really wondering if this is a serious overkill, after-all the blender I have been using was only 500W!

I'm wanting the ability to pulverize ice and ingredients quickly and effectively but this wouldn't be seeing any 'serious' use other than the occasional smoothie and daily protein shakes!

The blendtec is at around £329.99 here in the UK for the blender and wildside jar, I have however seen similar blenders for between the £100 - £200 price range that I'm thinking would suit my purpose nicely.

Has anybody got any experience with the Heston Blumenthal Sage?

Any other suggestions?

Although I'm not against spending on the blendtec if it comes to it, I don't see a need to waste my money either and I'm really beginning to think that I'm more buying into the name than any use I might have for such a high powered machine.

Thoughts and input appreciated!!

WHOA. I would never even consider paying almost $500 US for a blender?!? I guess if you've got money to burn...

I would get a Nutri-bullet or Ninja. They are both around $100 and get great reviews. My sister has a Nutri-bullet, and it makes kick-@ss margaritas.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I love my Oster blender. They last a really long time too, my mom still has the one she received as a wedding gift forever ago. The smoothies I usually make have frozen fruit and greens, so I'm not sure how it would do with ice. We don't usually have ice in our house lol
  • BigLadBigLad
    BigLadBigLad Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Vitamix, they're brilliant
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys.
    My other half must have been keeping an eye out on what I wanted and an hour after I mentioned the Ninja, she went out and returned with one for me (woop!!) for my birthday on Sat.. Best prezzie ever!!

Already used it a couple of times and LOVE it!!

1500W of awesomeness!

20150218_213058.jpg

Again.. very very helpful, thank-you! :)
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Any blender will make you a decent smoothy amd most will do ice. I hear the ninja is good. If you want to completely pulverize your smoothies, make homemade peanut butter and homemade hot soups...invest in a vitamix! Best thing i ever did!!
  • wildtxn
    wildtxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The soup is the only reason I want a vitamin myself. Had a ninja but shattered it with one drop on my tile floor, may upgrade before long now.
  • foot2wood
    foot2wood Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Blendtec blender and the company has stood behind their product. I have both the Wildside plus regular size jars and both make the absolute smoothest smoothies. I've had mine for about a year and am never scared to throw anything in it. It is a little pricey but much better than ninja or nutri bullet. Just go on youtube and look around at comparison videos. You'll see Blendtec and Vitamix are far superior, will demolish anything you throw at it, and will last for many years. I never worry about how smooth my smoothies or protein shakes will turn out, despite solid ice or totally frozen and dense fruits and veggies.
  • brittanylyse
    brittanylyse Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE my Ninja Professional (not as pricey as the other Ninjas). It comes with 2 different sized blenders that you put the attachment on top to use.