just can't eat enough to net 1200...bad?

iheartralphie
iheartralphie Posts: 104 Member
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
I am so sick of thinking about food and even eating at this point! LOL! I have been pretty under my calories lately, because I haven't really been eating my exercise calories (well some but not all) and my net cal. are kinda low...maybe this is why I am not losing.... but I just can't eat anymore at the end of the day!! And I am getting hooked on exercising, my body craves it now! Which is good, but I hope I am not causing too much of a deficit and slowing my metabolism. I think my body would tell me I was hungry though right? Because today even though I ate 1481, my net is 772...but the thought of any more food at this point makes me feel sick.
My body would tell me if it needed more, right? I feel fine.....

Replies

• lilac01
    lilac01 Posts: 180 Member
    Same here!
  • Kat0310
    Kat0310 Posts: 341
    I never meet my calories either, especially with the exercise added to it. At the end of the day I still have about 400-500 calories left over but I'm done eating for the day too. I just started less than a week ago, but I think I will try to keep it that way.
  • DarkDiva2005
    DarkDiva2005 Posts: 140
    bump
  • GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    i'm having the same problem :sad: i know eating 2 tbsp of peanut butter would give me a quick 190 cals (i'd still need more to net 1200)... but the thought of eating anything else is making me feel sick... i need a live in chef/nutritionist!!!
  • JennyGA
    JennyGA Posts: 9
    Hi, I was told if you don't eat your net allowence your body goes into starvation mode and hangs on to the weight.I found as soon as I started to come closer to the amount I lost more weight but we are all indivduals so I guess we all react in a different way.I hope all goes well for you which ever way you do it.

:flowerforyou:
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    You really should Net 1200 calories, at least. But with all the working out you are doing, you should really be eating more calories. If you are not too overweight, then it becomes really important to eat all your exercise calories. MFP does overestimate calories burned, but if you have a heart rate monitor, that wouldn't be a problem.

Your body will not always tell you when you are hungry because it will learn to survive on the calories you give it.

EDIT: If you know you are going to work out on a certain day, just try to eat more at breakfast/lunch. Eat almonds or peanut butter.
  • CrisUndies
    CrisUndies Posts: 40
    Hi, I was told if you don't eat your net allowence your body goes into starvation mode and hangs on to the weight.I found as soon as I started to come closer to the amount I lost more weight but we are all indivduals so I guess we all react in a different way.I hope all goes well for you which ever way you do it.

:flowerforyou:

You're absolutely right. Because your body is not getting enough calories, you body feels that it needs to hold on to your weight it has. I know it makes no sense that you've to eat more to lose but eventually if you start eating your 1200 you're metabolism will speed up and you will definitely be able to eat those calories. I'd say talk to a doctor for accurate information but good luck.

:)
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Lots of people will drink protein shakes to "eat" back the missing calories and to suppy their bodies with protein to help build lean muscle. Sounds like a win-win situation to me (assuming you like the taste of the shake).
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    You said that you're not losing weight and this is probably the reason. Try and eat more throughout the day, if you know you're going to exercise... and since you're addicted you probably will :smile: I understand at the end of the day not wanting to eat more but throughout the day it's not that difficult -- things like almonds, sunflower seeds, walnuts -- can give you a couple of hundred calories easily.
  • iheartralphie
    iheartralphie Posts: 104 Member
    I do supplement with protein shakes... I think the issue is not eating enough earlier in the day. It gets hard to make time when work is busy... I think I will try bringing nuts to work and keeping them there :) thanks for the input!
  • theresa7576
    theresa7576 Posts: 46 Member
    Eat all your calories..or as close as possible. lots of tiny meals if you can.. you must eat every 1.5 to 2 hours through the day.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    You said that you're not losing weight and this is probably the reason. Try and eat more throughout the day, if you know you're going to exercise... and since you're addicted you probably will :smile: I understand at the end of the day not wanting to eat more but throughout the day it's not that difficult -- things like almonds, sunflower seeds, walnuts -- can give you a couple of hundred calories easily.

Agreed!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Eat more earlier in the day. More importantly if you eat those low cal diet foods out there, stop it and eat more normal foods.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    I have the same problem. Usually I just balls up and eat so I'm close, unless i've burned like 800+ calories and I only eat back half.

Although, if it makes you nauseous to think about food, your body probably doesn't need anything else. I felt like that tonight and had to force feed myself some corn just to get a few calories in, but if you feel sick thinking about food I wouldn't eat...
  • lexiwho
    lexiwho Posts: 178 Member
    Another good way to get calories in is to use olive oil when cooking, get some healthy fats in there. Perhaps make up a small bag of trail mix to keep with you at work so you can snack on it throughout the day. Pre-measure the ingredients and figure out the nutritional facts then make it a goal to finish that by the end of your work day.
  • GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    that's why i LOVE this site!!! so many ppl offering great advice!! & u guys are absolutely right... snacking during the day will bring you closer to your net cals @ the end of the day!! i brought a whole lotta healthy snacks w/me this morning!!! :smile:
This discussion has been closed.