High protein? High carb? High fat?

Options
how do I know which settings to put in my nutritional guide for best results?

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    acwing612 wrote: »
    how do I know which settings to put in my nutritional guide for best results?

As long as you eat in a calorie deficit you will get results - choose the macro split to suit your taste buds.

The only thing you really need to focus on is 'adequate' protein!

• TG1kms
    TG1kms Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals. In trying to maintain, lose fat & build muscle and what is working for me is 45, 25, 30.. Protein, carbs & fat. Not always hitting those goals butbut (almost) never going over total calories.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals. In trying to maintain, lose fat & build muscle and what is working for me is 45, 25, 30.. Protein, carbs & fat. Not always hitting those goals butbut (almost) never going over total calories.

You're trying to maintain, lose fat, & build muscle.... you level of determination is mind blowing! <endsarcasm/>

Please don't listen to that bad advice. If fat loss is your ONLY goal, focus on calories. Granted protein is important, but you ONLY need 0.8g per lb of body-weight, anything more is overkill and only needed if you are on steroids, or if it's your personal preference to consume more protien than any other macro-nutrient.

If you're prepping for a bikini show, then macros really matter so you can look "dry" on stage. But I doubt you're doing that, so, focus on calories.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Start with the default and then tinker from there based on your body comp goals and personal taste. Barring any medical conditions (Beetus, Gout, Gallbladder disease, just to name a few) there is no reason to severely limit any of the macro categories.

Calories are what matter for energy and weight loss/gain/stability.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Focus on calories first...that's what is most important for weight control.

For the most part, I let my carbs be my "flex"...I try to keep my protein and fat goals static regardless of my weight control goals...so if I want to lose weight something has to give and I reduce my carbs a little...when I want to gain weight I increase my carbs a little. It doesn't have anything to do with the carbs themselves, it's just how I flex my diet depending on my goals.
  • CooperJC24
    CooperJC24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The thing that strikes me about the thread header is HIGH. Nothing HIGH is good. Moderation is the key and a good Macro mix.
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Focus on calories first...that's what is most important for weight control.

For the most part, I let my carbs be my "flex"...I try to keep my protein and fat goals static regardless of my weight control goals...so if I want to lose weight something has to give and I reduce my carbs a little...when I want to gain weight I increase my carbs a little. It doesn't have anything to do with the carbs themselves, it's just how I flex my diet depending on my goals.

This is pretty much what I follow - letting the carbs be my flex in my diet.

OP, I'd also recommend reading this MFP post to help you get started:

A guide to get you started on your path to sexypants.

It will answer the questions you have about your settings.
  • anikisachan22
    anikisachan22 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    DO NOT FOCUS ON CALORIES I am talking from 10years of experience in dieting. Calorie counting does not work long term. Eat a plant based diet! Tons of beautiful fruits and vegetables! it will help you solve digestive issues if done correctly :smile: . Also learn when you are nutritionally full, emotionally eating, or just thirsty.
    I actually only count cals when I am getting off track or I feel like I am missing something in my diet. Mind you my meals are high in cals and ingredient are kept to a minimum, so it makes calorie counting a breeze :smile: . Good luck !
  • anikisachan22
    anikisachan22 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    DO NOT FOCUS ON CALORIES I am talking from 10years of experience in dieting. Calorie counting does not work long term. Eat a plant based diet! Tons of beautiful fruits and vegetables! it will help you solve digestive issues if done correctly :smile: . Also learn when you are nutritionally full, emotionally eating, or just thirsty.
    I actually only count cals when I am getting off track or I feel like I am missing something in my diet. Mind you my meals are high in cals and ingredient are kept to a minimum, so it makes calorie counting a breeze :smile: . Good luck !