I have never worked out in my entire life

Options
Hi there! Im rachel. And I have never gone to the gym and made healthy eating choices until jan 5 2015. This is my year. I need a set of positive people who will keep me motivated to help me. Any takers?

Replies

• BULLET9992
    BULLET9992 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The most important thing in any training is form. You must have proper posture & technique to get a nice workout & more importantly, not get hurt doing it. Keep the weight ligh-moderate until your comfortable & confident in your form with your exercises. If something feels wrong, then something is wrong. Partner with someone with experience & learn. Do this & you'll see great results, since you've never worked out you'll see them quickly as well because your pushing your body for the 1st time.
  • BULLET9992
    BULLET9992 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me &/or ask any questions
  • lovereichul
    lovereichul Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    BULLET9992 wrote: »
    Feel free to add me &/or ask any questions
    Done
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Get an initial training session with a trainer to be taught how to use equipment correctly and ensure that your form is right on exercising. Videos are great to watch, but execution is whole other ball game.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lovereichul
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Get an initial training session with a trainer to be taught how to use equipment correctly and ensure that your form is right on exercising. Videos are great to watch, but execution is whole other ball game.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yes I did that and I did lose 1.5 kg from jan 5- feb 16. I wish i have more to show for though :\
  • ncraig627
    ncraig627 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I've just downloaded some fun fast songs to dance to for a workout at home. Not ready for a gym just yet, but that's the goal. Hope you have a great experience and come away empowered! Good luck! :D
  • lovereichul
    Options
    ncraig627 wrote: »
    Congrats! I've just downloaded some fun fast songs to dance to for a workout at home. Not ready for a gym just yet, but that's the goal. Hope you have a great experience and come away empowered! Good luck! :D
    We all have to start somewhere. As for going to the gym I was anxious first day. Fearing I might get "looks" and "stares" but i said to myself "here goes...." And hopped on a treadmill
  • stainlessneil
    stainlessneil Posts: 65 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    We all have to start somewhere. As for going to the gym I was anxious first day. Fearing I might get "looks" and "stares" but i said to myself "here goes...." And hopped on a treadmill

I find that people at the gym aren't gonna look and stare at anybody who is there to work hard. Nobody cares if you're overweight, you're just another sweaty gym rat lifting some weights or busting out some cardio. We are all fighting our own battles. To be honest, most people at the gym have had some sort of body image issue at some stage, that's why they're there. At any rate, it's not about them. It's all about growing and transforming yourself. It's really great that you've taken the step to hit the gym. Diet and exercise are a powerful combination!
  • TBargar101
    TBargar101 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    lovereichul - feel free to add me as a friend.

• kwoww9797
    kwoww9797 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi Rachel! Congratulations on taking the first step to the rest of your life! Eating healthy and staying motivated to workout is HARD WORK! It does not come easy and it can sometimes be a S__L__O__W process, but it all pays off in the end. Just take your time and celebrate the little accomplishments, like showing up, or going faster on the treadmill, or finishing a spin class, or going up in weight (even if it's just a little bit). As others have said, make sure you understand form so you don't get hurt. But most importantly: HAVE FUN!
  • lovereichul
    Options
     It's really great that you've taken the step to hit the gym. Diet and exercise are a powerful combination!
    Thanks! I chose a low key gym. Not those really fancy smancy joints like fitness first.

• lovereichul
    Options
    kwoww9797 wrote: »
    Hi Rachel! Congratulations on taking the first step to the rest of your life! Eating healthy and staying motivated to workout is HARD WORK! It does not come easy and it can sometimes be a S__L__O__W process, but it all pays off in the end. Just take your time and celebrate the little accomplishments, like showing up, or going faster on the treadmill, or finishing a spin class, or going up in weight (even if it's just a little bit). As others have said, make sure you understand form so you don't get hurt. But most importantly: HAVE FUN!

Understanding that it is a slow process is something i have mentally prepared for. Thanks I feel great. I look for ways to take the stairs now instead of taking the elevator. Lol!
  • hapyfaces2
    hapyfaces2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    …You can add me to your friends list. I like to to help with motivation. Something we all need.
  • jetgirl5000
    Options
    I have been down the steady state cardio road in the past (run miles and miles at a good clik) and saw very little results. I know better than this. So I finally started back to lifting and saw the pounds start to drop off...of course I got lazy again and the weight came back. Now I'm at it again. Week 2 back at the gym. www.bodybuilding.com is a great resource for all things weight training. I highly recommend it. Come be my friend!