Plateau and Eating Back Exercise Calories

Options
Hello, I've seen plenty of these type threads but I'm a little curious to get feedback on my own progress. I'm definitely not new to MFP but this is the first time I've actually used to it to lose weight. I've just maintained in the past. I went through a bulking season recently and decided to quit logging calories (big mistake) and weight lifting and it cost me about a 20 pound weight gain. MFP shows that I've lost 8 but I've actually lost 13 because I logged my starting weight incorrectly. Anyways, the point is I've hit a plateau for the past 3 weeks. I know this is very common but it's also frustrating. I don't want to dip too low in calories but I do know that as you get closer to your goal weight and don't have as much to lose, you need less calories. I have a Fitbit that syncs with MFP and I burn on average 1,800-2,200 calories a day, high calorie burn on my running days. MFP has put me at 1,240 (with lightly active as my settings) now that I've readjusted my goals with the 10 pound loss. So, should I be eating these exercise calories back, making sure I don't dip below a 500 calorie deficit or not? If I don't eat them back, going by my calorie burn on Fitbit and calorie allowance on MFP, I'm anywhere in a 700-900 calorie deficit. I'm not trying to rush the process and considering it's more vanity pounds now than anything, I'm in no rush to lose quickly but I'm wanting to break the plateau and I hear some say "cut the calories more" and others say "add back calories". Just a little confused and was hoping the great community of MFP could give a little feedback.

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    If you are eating as low as 1240, and burning as many calories with exercise as you say you are, then yes, you should be eating a good bit of those exercise calories back. If you eat 1240 calories and burn 1800, that will put your net calories at about -580 for the day, which is not healthy.

How many lbs per week have you set it to lose? If it's 2 lbs per week, and you're not morbidly obese, I would lower it to 1 lb per week or even .5 lb per week.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    If you have less than 10 pounds to lose, you should have a goal of .5lbs/week - anything higher than that is way too aggressive.

I'd also up your activity level on here to active - if you're getting FitBit adjustments daily, it's too low.

Adjusting those two settings should up your calorie goal to a decent level - leaving the choice of eating back your exercise calories up to you. I do, if I feel hungry. I don't if I don't.
    If you are eating as low as 1240, and burning as many calories with exercise as you say you are, then yes, you should be eating a good bit of those exercise calories back. If you eat 1240 calories and burn 1800, that will put your net calories at about -580 for the day, which is not healthy.

How many lbs per week have you set it to lose? If it's 2 lbs per week, and you're not morbidly obese, I would lower it to 1 lb per week or even .5 lb per week.

The 1800 that she's burning is her TDEE, not exercise calories on top of her TDEE.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you are running a true "700 - 900" calorie deficit with only 20lbs to go then yes, you are "trying to rush the process".

Three weeks isn't long for a plateau - especially for a woman.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    If you have less than 10 pounds to lose, you should have a goal of .5lbs/week - anything higher than that is way too aggressive.

I'd also up your activity level on here to active - if you're getting FitBit adjustments daily, it's too low.

Adjusting those two settings should up your calorie goal to a decent level - leaving the choice of eating back your exercise calories up to you. I do, if I feel hungry. I don't if I don't.

The 1800 that she's burning is her TDEE, not exercise calories on top of her TDEE.

Ah, that makes sense. I just saw "biking" and "burn 1,800-2,200 calories a day" and I immediately assumed it was through exercise.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If you are running a true "700 - 900" calorie deficit with only 20lbs to go then yes, you are "trying to rush the process".

I concur. I hit this dreaded stall and I am starting a new...

1) I ate at maintenance for 4 weeks and
    2) This past Monday I recreated a new deficit and restarting this again.
    3) I have increased protein (especially on exercise days) and I am
    4) Watching carbs this time around a lot more (basically limiting my sweet tooth/junk food) I still have to have them, but a little less.

My exercise has reached a new level so this will be a work in progress because my body may really not need to loose weight but fat and tone up to weed away the layers of fat still hanging around..

• charbrooke
    charbrooke Posts: 15 Member
    Options

My overall burn is 1,800 (rest days) to 2,200 (run days) so yes, the deficit would be 700-900 is I'm going off of the 1,240 MFP has given me. I thought it was rushing it too. Thanks!

• charbrooke
    Options

Ah, that makes sense. I just saw "biking" and "burn 1,800-2,200 calories a day" and I immediately assumed it was through exercise.

Yes, it's my overall burn (TDEE), not that alone in exercise : )
  • charbrooke
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

I concur. I hit this dreaded stall and I am starting a new...

1) I ate at maintenance for 4 weeks and
    2) This past Monday I recreated a new deficit and restarting this again.
    3) I have increased protein (especially on exercise days) and I am
    4) Watching carbs this time around a lot more (basically limiting my sweet tooth/junk food) I still have to have them, but a little less.

My exercise has reached a new level so this will be a work in progress because my body may really not need to loose weight but fat and tone up to weed away the layers of fat still hanging around..

I may need to do this or adjust my settings.
  • charbrooke
    Options

My overall burn is 1,800-2,200 (TDEE), depending on my workout for the day. I have it set to ose 1 lb a week and it was coming off quickly for the first 13 but I think I may need to readjust my settings, like you mentioned.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    charbrooke wrote: »

My overall burn is 1,800-2,200 (TDEE), depending on my workout for the day. I have it set to ose 1 lb a week and it was coming off quickly for the first 13 but I think I may need to readjust my settings, like you mentioned.

I see - sorry for the mistake.

I do agree that a 700-900 calorie deficit is too high for you though. I like the idea of eating at maintenance for a while and then going back to a deficit after that.

• charbrooke
    Options
    charbrooke wrote: »

I see - sorry for the mistake.

I do agree that a 700-900 calorie deficit is too high for you though. I like the idea of eating at maintenance for a while and then going back to a deficit after that.

Yes, I think that's what I'm going to do. It would probably be good to just reset everything or at least up my calories.