What are good snacks?

Options
I'm on a protein shake diet that I've been on before and had success. However since it has been years since I was on it, I often struggle with what are good snacks. Sometimes I just want romaine lettuce and ginger dressing but that may not be considered a good snack.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    eat real food.
  • ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    eat real food.

I do eat real food. I normally have my protein shake twice a day. I just wanted to know about snacks. I have a regular meal for dinner.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    For snacks, i like fruit, string cheeses, yogurts, flavored rice cakes, hummus and pita or hummus and veggies, flavored seaweed, hard boiled egg, etc.

I like snacks to be under 200 calories, so really anything that fits under that can be a snack.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    popcorn, nuts, peanut butter on celery, greek yogurt, meat and cheese, protein bar, whole fruit/veggies, hummus.....
  • Cereal_Snacker
    Cereal_Snacker Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    oat cakes, hummus, baby tomatoes, seeds, a few walnuts
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    string cheese, nuts, sunflower seeds, peanut butter on anything!, I love the smart pop cheddar popcorn single serve bags,

for a bigger snack I love nachos

really anything can be a snack its just about making it the correct size to fit into your daily goal
  • Deedee1111111
    Deedee1111111 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    rice cake with pb and banana or dried cranberries, dried fruit, nuts and seeds, hard boiled egg, berries
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Carrots and peanut butter. String cheese. Greek yogurt. Apple and peanut butter.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Cheese sticks, almonds, pita chips, carrots, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, strawberries........
  • amaradasiva
    amaradasiva Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Romaine lettuce and ginger dressing is super low-cal - I use Newman's Own Lite Sesame Ginger dressing and it's only like 35cal for 2 tbsp - generally I find 1 tbsp per cup of lettuce is fine.

Lately with the cold weather my favorite snack has been hot chocolate - the regular Swiss Miss stuff made with water is just 90cal for a packet, and between the warmth and the chocolate it generally is a pretty good hunger combatant.

For salty stuff, I I like reduced fat kettle-cooked potato chips - I dunno if you have Meijer near you but you can have 18 chips for 130cal. The extra "crunch" makes me more satisfied.

1/4c of pistachios is 160cal, and that's usually pretty satiating.

If you have Target, 1/3 of their food court popcorn is 100cal (and those bags are pretty big). Tastier than microwave popcorn, IMO, and I think it's like $1 or something ridiculous like that.

I haven't been eating a lot of ice cream because it's been so cold, but if you're craving it, Snicker's ice cream bars are 180cal each - it seems like everything else in the ice cream aisle is over 200 or so tiny as to be pointless, so that's my ice-cream go-to.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    ciacyrus29 wrote: »
    I'm on a protein shake diet that I've been on before and had success. However since it has been years since I was on it, I often struggle with what are good snacks. Sometimes I just want romaine lettuce and ginger dressing but that may not be considered a good snack.

Any suggestions?

If it fits in your calorie and nutrition goals, tastes good, and keeps your hunger away, then why wouldn't it be a good snack for you?
  • PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    lizzocat wrote: »
    For snacks, i like fruit, string cheeses, yogurts, flavored rice cakes, hummus and pita or hummus and veggies, flavored seaweed, hard boiled egg, etc.

I like snacks to be under 200 calories, so really anything that fits under that can be a snack.

I eat everyone of these almost daily. All very filling as well.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Chocolate, cheese, berries, ice cream, popcorn, chips, hummus and veggies, chocolate, and oh, did I mention chocolate?

If it fits your calories and macros, you can snack on anything you like.

Agree with people above: A "protein shake" diet doesn't sound like a very good recipe for long term success. You'd probably be much better off eating real food.
  • ciacyrus29
    Options
    Thanks everyone. These are great suggestions. I will start using them tomorrow
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • ciacyrus29
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Agree with people above: A "protein shake" diet doesn't sound like a very good recipe for long term success. You'd probably be much better off eating real food.

I understand but this is not a way of life, just a means to an end. I lost 100 lbs the last time I was on it. It took me a year. I never learned how to maintained and so I gained everything back. I now know how to maintain. I do have special occasion meals/days. So I'm not giving up much. I appreciate everyone's suggestions and concerns. Thank you.
  • _FATNSASSY
    _FATNSASSY Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit and vegetables... baby spinach, celery, apples, carrots, etc...