Strange pain after training

Options
I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if it's something I should be alarmed about. When I get a really tough session in I have had a weird pain that starts at my chest and after a few days moves to my back (or maybe it's my back the whole time and I just feel it in my chest.) it usually goes away within 3 or 4 days then I am good for a week or so, then it randomly comes back. My training usually goes 2-2.5 mile run and core in the morning, 10 minutes of cardio, 30-45 minutes of lifting and 20 minutes of interval training in the afternoon. I only feel it if I do interval training and it doesn't always happen.

Of course like an idiot I looked it up on web md and it said I was dying from 100 different diseases. I don't have a family doctor as of yet, the first time I experienced it I was trying to get an appointment and the pain went away - so I decided not to burn my PTO. The next 2 times it came back it wasn't anywhere near as bad and was gone in a day or two but still a weird dull pain, almost like a sternum bruise type of pain (best way I can think to describe it.)

Is it possible that it's just from being painfully awful at cardio/overweight and forcing myself to do too much, or does this sound like a legitimate issue? I am leaning towards possibly trying to do too much, but I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this.

People calling me stupid for posting on a message board about it and not going to a doctor.... go!

Replies

• BlazeJay83
    BlazeJay83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you feel it in your chest and back after interval training then it most probably is caused by some kind of action, a twisting, turning or repetition that your body is not currently used to. That it is lessening over time perhaps suggests that.

Like shin splints and how the connective tissue from the muscle to bone creates that dull and inflamed pain, you could be getting that around your sternum and back area.
  • JanerichoC18
    JanerichoC18 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    BlazeJay83 wrote: »
    If you feel it in your chest and back after interval training then it most probably is caused by some kind of action, a twisting, turning or repetition that your body is not currently used to. That it is lessening over time perhaps suggests that.

Like shin splints and how the connective tissue from the muscle to bone creates that dull and inflamed pain, you could be getting that around your sternum and back area.

That's my assumption, glad you're backing it up. The Interval training is on a really high incline and resistance (setting on the machine) so that's probably the culprit.

Thanks!
  • adamullen
    adamullen Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sounds like your rotator cuff muscles or rhomboids are taking a hit, possibly due to uneven development symmetrically or in relation to the rest of the system. Bench presses are great for screwing those up if that's part of your lifting routine. If that's what it is, make sure you're warming up pretty well and that your mobility is good - shoulder dislocates with a broomstick are fantastic for warmup. To avoid future injury, get yourself on a regimen of band pulls to strengthen the area - just get one of those exercise bands and pull it apart in front of you at arms length until your muscles get tired back there - 4x15 three times a week is good to shoot for. Leave your balls at the door and start with one of the thinner bands and work on getting as much range as possible - the most important part is the last couple inches (that's what she said).
  • JanerichoC18
    Options
    adamullen wrote: »
    Sounds like your rotator cuff muscles or rhomboids are taking a hit, possibly due to uneven development symmetrically or in relation to the rest of the system. Bench presses are great for screwing those up if that's part of your lifting routine. If that's what it is, make sure you're warming up pretty well and that your mobility is good - shoulder dislocates with a broomstick are fantastic for warmup. To avoid future injury, get yourself on a regimen of band pulls to strengthen the area - just get one of those exercise bands and pull it apart in front of you at arms length until your muscles get tired back there - 4x15 three times a week is good to shoot for. Leave your balls at the door and start with one of the thinner bands and work on getting as much range as possible - the most important part is the last couple inches (that's what she said).

Yeah my warm ups are not even close to good enough - I have no excuse or reasoning why. I will give this a shot, I do bench once a week with some other presses, but I have been trying to switch to dumbbells to force both sides to work evenly (ie, right side isn't leading the way or pushing the bulk of the weight and vice-versa.) I have resistance bands at home so I will start adding that in in addition to the extra warm ups.

Thanks for the advice, and well played sir!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    No offense to those who’ve chimed in, but if this concerns you, I’d set up a time to discuss with a medical doctor. It might be nothing, but I’d go the professional route on this one.

The program you mentioned doesn’t really give much detail on the actual movements. When you do for weights and interval training, what do you do? How long after completing the workout do you feel this? The doctor will need all this info to properly diagnose.

• lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    No offense to those who’ve chimed in, but if this concerns you, I’d set up a time to discuss with a medical doctor. It might be nothing, but I’d go the professional route on this one.

this.
  • JanerichoC18
    Options
    The program you mentioned doesn’t really give much detail on the actual movements. When you do for weights and interval training, what do you do? How long after completing the workout do you feel this? The doctor will need all this info to properly diagnose.
    1. Are you working out the muscles in your back and chest? If you are, I think that maybe this could be where that pain is coming from. I know that after I do chest flies, sometimes, I'll experience a pain along my chest, but that's coming from my working out the muscles there.

Thinking back to it, each time this has happened it was on my bicep/triceps day which is the day after check/back. Interval training has been on the ARC for 20 minutes at high resistance and high incline intervals. Cardio in the AM is just running outside, PM is treadmill, AM core is regular situps/weighted situps/ twists etc...

I can usually feel the pain starting during my ARC training. It doesn't get bad until maybe an hour after.
    2. Do you think there's a chance that you have asthma? Sometimes when I work out I will get a pain in my chest/back that's coming from my lungs. It's generally more on the left hand side but sometimes it's to the right. This pain though is different. It generally either feels like pinching inside of my chest/in my back or my chest will feel heavy all over.

I've never been diagnosed with asthma, and based on your description I don't think I have it but I will bring it up when I get myself checked out.
    lenkearney wrote: »
    this.
    But again, I would see a doctor regardless.

I will do this asap. I was just hoping I could solve it without going. Probably the smarter choice overall. I will try the warm up exercises/stretching in the meantime (until I can get in,) but you guys are right, and I am pretty sure I am mostly being stubborn about it.

Thanks everyone for your help!

• adamullen
    adamullen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's good advice about seeing a doc. With it happening after back/chest day and on arms day it could be biceps tendonesis (the biceps tendon goes through the shoulder and attaches in the back) or a labral inflamation/tear - both of which are use injuries which are completely rehab-able without surgery if they don't get too far.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    a weird dull pain, almost like a sternum bruise type of pain (best way I can think to describe it.

Does it hurt when you press on your sternum?

Does it hurt when you breathe deep into your chest?

• JanerichoC18
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    a weird dull pain, almost like a sternum bruise type of pain (best way I can think to describe it.

Does it hurt when you press on your sternum?

Does it hurt when you breathe deep into your chest?

Pain went away last night oddly enough, didnt hurt when i pressed on it, it hurt a little more with deep breaths though. Completely gone today so I'm more confused about it but happy it's gone. Regardless i am still going to see a doctor about it so it doesn't flair up weekly.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Cool - post an update after the doctor visit.