Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Lap Band

124»

Replies

• sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    I appreciated all of the input I got. So if anyone is interested, here is an update. I have decided against the surgery. Several reasons played a part in this decision. One was that I was losing sleep over it. My biggest thing was that my husband did NOT support this. At the time when I signed up for this free surgery (come to find out I would have to pay for the protein shakes, blood work, chest x-ray AND an EKG) I did not mention it to him. Guess I never thought I would win, so it was pointless to tell him. So I went to the pre-op appointment, and the nurse who did vitals and stuff asked me what meds I was on. I said none. She said, all the prescription meds you're on. Again, nothing. And a third time, all the "prescribed" medications your doctor is giving you. (like I was too stupid to understand the question the first time!!) I told her once again, no meds, and so she said so where is your cpap? I don't have one, I tell her. I had surgery for a deviated septum in my nose. She then take my blood pressure which was an amazing 110/65. She looks shocked, and says this is the first time I've had a patient that didn't have a multitude of conditions as well as high blood pressure. This kind of nagged at me a bit, making me question the reason for this surgery. I am very healthy, with the exception of my weight. I have perfect cholesterol, blood pressure, sugar levels are normal. So why am I doing this? I talk to a friend, who advises me against it, as his wife is a surgical nurse. Came home and started having the same conversation with my husband, and he snidely says, "why are you asking my opinion now? You haven't cared about my thoughts up to this point." That really hurt. So we sat down, and talked, and talked!! He said he would like me to lose weight for my joints, feet etc..but not because I want to look good in a cute dress. He said he'd rather work with me and lose weight himself and we could do it together. I asked if I could have his and our kids' complete support, and he tells me I've always had it.

Just knowing that my physical appearance isn't the most important thing in our relationship has made a huge difference in my decision to not do this. Now I feel I have a new lease on life, and am recommitting myself (and him!) to getting HEALTHIER!!

Thanks to all who were honest with me, and gave your input. Thanks for reading.

Now THIS ^^^ is what I call a happy ending

Good luck OP :flowerforyou:

A very happy ending!! Proud of you, OP :flowerforyou: I think you made a very good decision and wish you the best of luck!
  • Migreatlaker
    Migreatlaker Posts: 7 Member
    Do you have a long stay with the lap band?