Is there an alternative for food scale?

Options
supah11
supah11 Posts: 71 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay I'm new to this food scale so sorry for my stupid question but...is it really necessary to have a food scale in order to measure my food? Food scales here are hella expensive so are there any alternatives that I can use? Like those on the internet with the palm sized food etc?

Replies

• catrunsintowindow
    catrunsintowindow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Not really... everyone's palm sizes are different, serving sizes aren't always exact, etc.

Where are you that food scales are "hella expensive"?
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Got mine at Walmart. $15
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I think it will depend on the person but for me, yes, it was completely necessary. I got mine on Amazon for less than $20...I don't call that hella expensive.
  • jeanners98
    jeanners98 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I got my food scale at Bed Bath and Beyond on clearance and it was $10... Look around and you might find a deal!
  • supah11
    Options
    Not really... everyone's palm sizes are different, serving sizes aren't always exact, etc.

Well food scales aren't really that common here so they're really expensive here. In the phil.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    A food scale is the most accurate way to know how many calories you are eating, and it makes logging on MFP a heck of a lot easier. But, sure, you can do it without a food scale. Your next option would be measuring cups and learning how to estimate portion sizes. Exactly like what you said, a serving of meat would be about the size of a deck of cards, an ounce of cheese would be the size of a die (or is it two dice, I never remember)
    It will take some practice, but it can be done.
  • mvexplorer
    mvexplorer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    A quick google search shows food scales can be ordered (at least in the US) for as little as $8.99. Measuring cups would be more accurate than a palm estimate, but I would say just spend the $10-20 on a scale and it will make your life infinitely easier. Sorry if you are not in the US and this comment doesn't apply.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    order it on line and have it shipped. You can find one on Amazon for cheap, or ebay...
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    supah11 wrote: »

Well food scales aren't really that common here so they're really expensive here. In the phil.
    If by "the phil" you mean Philadelphia, then they have access to amazon.com. In addition, a quick google search resulted in no less then 3 walmarts...

If however you mean the Philippines, Amazon should still ship there. Even if the shipping is expensive, the scale is like a 20 dollar item, and one will last you at least a decade if you take care of it.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    supah11 wrote: »

If by "the phil" you mean Philadelphia, then they have access to amazon.com. In addition, a quick google search resulted in no less then 3 walmarts...
    I'm guessing she means the Philippines
  • catrunsintowindow
    catrunsintowindow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I assume you mean The Philippines? Amazon.com ships there, although you'd probably have to pay and extra $10-$15 in shipping. Which, for a $10 scale, is still not that expensive.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Necessary? No. But they're the most accurate - provided, of course, the scale actually works properly.

One alternative is measuring cups and the like, but those aren't as accurate as a scale. That said, when I was tracking food, I only used measuring cups and spoons. If my weight didn't come off like I anticipated, I just compensated with just how full the cup was. It worked fine for me. YMMV.

Otherwise, as MrM said, you're just estimating and guessing.
  • disneygirl626
    disneygirl626 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I use measuring cups and estimates for my food as I haven't felt like investing in a food scale. I'm down 43 pounds from my highest weight 256-213. Food scales are the most accurate but they aren't required. If you're not seeing any progress then I'd worry about getting one but if you're losing weight consistently then obviously you're doing something right.
  • supah11
    Options
    kshadows wrote: »
    I think it will depend on the person but for me, yes, it was completely necessary. I got mine on Amazon for less than $20...I don't call that hella expensive.

I see, thank you!
  • supah11
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    A food scale is the most accurate way to know how many calories you are eating, and it makes logging on MFP a heck of a lot easier. But, sure, you can do it without a food scale. Your next option would be measuring cups and learning how to estimate portion sizes. Exactly like what you said, a serving of meat would be about the size of a deck of cards, an ounce of cheese would be the size of a die (or is it two dice, I never remember)
    It will take some practice, but it can be done.

Wow, i guess that's too manual and too much effort :/
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I've never had one and lost 100lbs just by over estimating my food and under estimating my exercise.
  • supah11
    Options
    kshadows wrote: »

Yea I've seen that. Which made me think to get a food scale asap heehee. Thank you :)
  • supah11
    Options
    jrline wrote: »
    I've never had one and lost 100lbs just by over estimating my food and under estimating my exercise.

Yea I do that too..like for ex. My cereal's just 1/2 I type in 1 cup here hehe. :)