Is there an alternative for food scale?

Options
2»

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Food scales are educational more than necessary. I know when I got mine and started using it, I was pretty surprised to see how badly I'd been underestimating some foods.

On the other hand, what's important isn't the absolute number so much as the directional number. Let's say you're losing weight eating what you think is 1300 calories but is actually 1500 calories, because of inaccurate measurement. All that means is that your true TDEE is a couple hundred higher than you think it is. But you're still losing weight.

Lots of people can do that just fine for a while, and then they decide to get a food scale when it stops working. The reason is, let's say in my above example you're merrily losing weight at what-you-think-is-1300 calories, and then your TDEE drops (as it tends to do as you get smaller), maybe you're reluctant to drop to 1200 or 1100 calories because that sounds dangerously low. But in reality, you were eating 1500 calories, and dropping to 1400 or 1300 would be okay. See what I mean?

Can you order a food scale from Amazon and just get it shipped to the Philippines?
  • supah11
    supah11 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I use measuring cups and estimates for my food as I haven't felt like investing in a food scale. I'm down 43 pounds from my highest weight 256-213. Food scales are the most accurate but they aren't required. If you're not seeing any progress then I'd worry about getting one but if you're losing weight consistently then obviously you're doing something right.

Ooh that's good too. I'll try measuring cups first I guess since they're the easiest and cheapest to buy :)
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    supah11 wrote: »
    Not really... everyone's palm sizes are different, serving sizes aren't always exact, etc.

Where are you that food scales are "hella expensive"?

Well food scales aren't really that common here so they're really expensive here. In the phil.
    If by "the phil" you mean Philadelphia, then they have access to amazon.com. In addition, a quick google search resulted in no less then 3 walmarts...

That's much more likely to be the Philippines.

For the OP - I'd use measuring cups/spoons as much as you can. If items come pre-weighed (like 1kg of meat), you can cut them into reasonably sized pieces and divide your starting weight by the number of portions (8 portions means 125g of meat per portion).

I'd encourage you to be aware that you have some error in your measurements, especially if your weight loss is faster or slower than you prefer.

A service like Borderlynx or Johnny Air might be useful to you, but international shipping is a significant expense.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I have one, but I never use it. Accuracy is overrated. I'll leave that to the weight loss hobbyists. I have no desire to weigh food for the rest of my life, so I figure it's better if I don't do it while I'm losing weight.

But that being said, if cost is a concern, it is simple enough to make a balance scale. You would just need to find some objects that you know the weight of to balance the other side of the scale.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I use measuring cups and estimates for my food as I haven't felt like investing in a food scale. I'm down 43 pounds from my highest weight 256-213. Food scales are the most accurate but they aren't required. If you're not seeing any progress then I'd worry about getting one but if you're losing weight consistently then obviously you're doing something right.

Ooh that's good too. I'll try measuring cups first I guess since they're the easiest and cheapest to buy :)

FYI, measuring instead of weighing can still lead to being off on solid foods by 10-35%, depending on what it is your are weighing/measuring.
  • supah11
    supah11 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Food scales are educational more than necessary. I know when I got mine and started using it, I was pretty surprised to see how badly I'd been underestimating some foods.

On the other hand, what's important isn't the absolute number so much as the directional number. Let's say you're losing weight eating what you think is 1300 calories but is actually 1500 calories, because of inaccurate measurement. All that means is that your true TDEE is a couple hundred higher than you think it is. But you're still losing weight.

Lots of people can do that just fine for a while, and then they decide to get a food scale when it stops working. The reason is, let's say in my above example you're merrily losing weight at what-you-think-is-1300 calories, and then your TDEE drops (as it tends to do as you get smaller), maybe you're reluctant to drop to 1200 or 1100 calories because that sounds dangerously low. But in reality, you were eating 1500 calories, and dropping to 1400 or 1300 would be okay. See what I mean?

Can you order a food scale from Amazon and just get it shipped to the Philippines?

Oooh, I get you. I see, well I think I'll go search for a food scale here first. If there's none or if they're really overpriced then I'll just order online I guess. Its just that I feel jealous on some people who doesn't use food scales but still lose weight. Ty!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

Oooh, I get you. I see, well I think I'll go search for a food scale here first. If there's none or if they're really overpriced then I'll just order online I guess. Its just that I feel jealous on some people who doesn't use food scales but still lose weight. Ty!

Once you use one for a few months you may be able to better estimate portion sizes and wont have to use the scale forever.