Why you don't Excercise

I look around me at people. they are all...ALL out of shape. I wondered why poople get like that. Do they just wake up one morning and surpise they are out of shape or do they watch a slow decline in conditioning over time. So I googled it and found out that the number one reason people don't work out is they don't find the time in their day.

http://exercise.lovetoknow.com/Reasons_People_Don't_Exercise

I solve that by doing it first. You don't control your day. First you have to get to work then at work your boss controls your time with his tasks then you get home and kids and family take your time with dinner, house chores etc. Then you have to do the TV watching thing and then you have to sleep. Day over and no work out time. I just get up earlier and work out before I get ready for work. Youcan control, that time. Either you sleep or work out. I choose to work out, I can sleep when I die.

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    It's a cop out, really. to say that a person doesn't have time. Anyone that takes 1/2 an hour to watch a television show is making a choice. Everyone has the time (possibly with the exception of the person with 3 jobs to support the family). It's just a matter of choosing what to do with his or her time.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Because it's not a priority for some people.

They would rather spend their time outside of work with friends and family and feel well rested.

Personally I'd just focus on yourself and less on judging others.
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    I find most people just haven't found something active that they enjoy. To me, that was key.

I tried weight lifting numerous times, but it's frickin' dull! I played hockey, did karate, tae kwon do... none of them stuck.

Then I discovered Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I now train 10-15 hours/week, am in the best shape of my life, and preach the gospel all over the place! :)
  • mccindy72
    Except it's a scientific fact that people who exercise regularly sleep better than people who don't. Just sayin'.
  • Iron_Feline
    edited February 2015
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Except it's a scientific fact that people who exercise regularly sleep better than people who don't. Just sayin'.

lol lol lol

Lots of people sleep fine with no exercise.

I exercise and I sleep like crap (insomnia)

And lots of people needs the full 8 hrs.

Again. It's not a priority to them. If I had to get up at 5am to exercise I wouldn't bother.

Personal choice.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member

They would rather spend their time outside of work with friends and family and feel well rested.
    I thought reading for hours on end sitting in my couch was relaxing. I was always wondering why I was tired anyway. Now that I workout 6 days a week, I feel way more rested!!!
    As long as we haven't tried it, we believe exercise is bound to make us more tired.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    I got out of shape for a few simple reasons.
    - I was working crazy hours to get ahead in my career.
    - I became fond of going out eating and drinking beers with friends (I lived in Austin, TX)
    - The things I was doing when I was younger didn’t seem to help me stay in shape as I was getting older.
    - I didn’t fully recognize the importance food choices and volume have on weight gain (I thought I could train it off).
    - The lower fitness level meant I was struggling to do things I enjoyed (as well as I used to), so I stopped doing them (sand volleyball, running, tennis, etc.)

So you wake up after years of abusing your body (nearly 18 in my case) and say, I need to change. To be successful, I knew I needed to commit. I did. In two years, I’ve lost 47 lbs of fat, gained 20 lbs of muscle. I can hold my own on the sand volleyball court, playing tennis or running (Tough Mudder). I’m not back to where I was when I was 29, but I’m damn close.
  • mccindy72
    i didn't say anyone had to get up at 5 am to exercise, I said they were making a choice to watch television for 1/2 hour in the evening rather than work out. they could work out while watching that show for that 1/2 hour and still get their 8 hours.

the main reason people don't work isn't time, it's because they choose not to do the work.
  • rand486

lol lol lol

Again. It's not a priority to them. If I had to get up at 5am to exercise I wouldn't bother.

Personal choice.

Hmm... I think you misunderstand the difference between results from a study, and anecdotal evidence.

On Average, people who exercise regularly will experience better sleep patterns & habits.

Of course there are outliers. That doesn't disprove @mccindy72's point.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I've had a colleague say to me 'I don't have time to exercise, you only have time because you work part time'. Um, whatever! I work 3 days a week, have 3 young children and a shift working husband. I still go to the gym on working days. She has 1 child and a stay at home husband. We're teachers so get lots of holidays a year, and if we don't have a meeting/open evening/parents' evening can leave work earlier than most people can.

Exercise is important to me so I make time. I also spend the weekends and my days off being active with my kids.

I can't imagine not exercising, although each to their own.
  • Iron_Feline
    edited February 2015
    melduf wrote: »

I thought reading for hours on end sitting in my couch was relaxing. I was always wondering why I was tired anyway. Now that I workout 6 days a week, I feel way more rested!!!
    As long as we haven't tried it, we believe exercise is bound to make us more tired.

Lol.

Not for me. Doesn't help my sleep one bit. But way to cherry pick my comment.

It's not a priority to them they pick family over exercise. As is their right if they want.

• rand486
    I've had a colleague say to me 'I don't have time to exercise, you only have time because you work part time'. Um, whatever! I work 3 days a week, have 3 young children and a shift working husband. I still go to the gym on working days. She has 1 child and a stay at home husband. We're teachers so get lots of holidays a year, and if we don't have a meeting/open evening/parents' evening can leave work earlier than most people can.

Exercise is important to me so I make time. I also spend the weekends and my days off being active with my kids.

I can't imagine not exercising, although each to their own.

I'm self-employed. I am currently working 2 separate contracts (each full-time hours), and studying for my PMP certification.

And yet, I was at the gym on Saturday for 3 hours.

Always amazed me when people say "I just don't have time". These are usually the people who, in the next breath, tell you all about the greatest episode of <lousy reality tv show> that was on last night...
  • Iron_Feline
    i didn't say anyone had to get up at 5 am to exercise, I said they were making a choice to watch television for 1/2 hour in the evening rather than work out. they could work out while watching that show for that 1/2 hour and still get their 8 hours.

the main reason people don't work isn't time, it's because they choose not to do the work.

The 5am was referring to the op, it's not all about you.

And that is what I said. They chose not to make it a priority.
  • mccindy72

Lol.

It's not a priory to them they pick family over exercise. As is their right if they want.

you are cherry picking the entire point. You personally have insomnia. that doesn't disregard the entire group of everyone else who doesn't have insomnia.
    and you are arguing my point that people choose not to exercise, rather than that they don't have the time to do it.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member

Personally I'd just focus on yourself and less on judging others.

This. The times in my life I didn't exercise, it either wasn't a priority and I didn't care (sometimes I had too much else going on in my life for it to be a priority) or I was injured and physically couldn't. Being injured sucked the most, because I wanted nothing more than to be ABLE to exercise, and now that I can again, I'm making it a priority.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I thought it was because I'm lazy.
  • Iron_Feline
    rand486 wrote: »

lol lol lol

Personal choice.

Hmm... I think you misunderstand the difference between results from a study, and anecdotal evidence.

On Average, people who exercise regularly will experience better sleep patterns & habits.

Of course there are outliers. That doesn't disprove @mccindy72's point.

Wow. Thanks for clearing that up, I had no idea.

I was pointing out that doesn't work for everyone. Saying it won't make it true.

Sigh

• sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    When I don't exercise it's because I don't want to. Various reasons why I don't want to including too lazy or don't want to get cold or don't want to drive to town to the fitness center or...

I sleep great regardless.

But, I don't lose as fast when I don't move my body much.

55835802.png
  • Iron_Feline

Lol.

It's not a priory to them they pick family over exercise. As is their right if they want.

you are cherry picking the entire point. You personally have insomnia. that doesn't disregard the entire group of everyone else who doesn't have insomnia.
    and you are arguing my point that people choose not to exercise, rather than that they don't have the time to do it.

What part of it's not a priority to them don't you understand?

At no point have I said they don't have time.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    edited February 2015
    I'm losing weight fine without exercise. I hate exercise and I'm lazy, so I'm not going to do it. I walk to uni (30 minute walk there, 30 minutes back) three times a week and swim once or twice a week because these are the only forms of exercise that I enjoy. At the weekends I don't even get out of bed :neutral_face:
    ETA: I'm a uni student who very much values my sleep. Why on earth would I sacrifice sleep to something I don't like? I have time to exercise. I just don't want to.