New to running - what makes you stop?

Options

Replies

• ruffledviolet
    ruffledviolet Posts: 260
    Options
    For me, it's the breath.

When my breathing gets out of control, I will breathe too quickly, or not often enough, leading to lightheadedness and / or a pain in my belly/side. This makes me stop, catch my breath, and start slowly again focusing strongly on my breathing. I know this is a weak point for me so it is all I can do to listen to my breath and time it with my steps. I have more trouble if I bring music or 'zone out'. I need to be on task and really thinking about breathing to make it work for me.

My calves and legs hurt very rarely, but when they do, I push right on through. When I was in high school my friend was in cross country. He did extremely well but never felt good about himself. He didn't know that I was looking up to him every day and wishing I could run like he did. I remember him now each day I go on these runs (I wish I would have told him how I felt, he has such low self confidence now-a-days...) One of his X-Country shirts had this printed on the back.

"The only thing pushing you forward when your legs stop moving... is your mind."

I remember this and I tell myself KEEP GOING. KEEP GOING. I do. As long as I truly believe I can make it, I will. When I start to tell myself, "Ok this is far enough..." I feel tired. I always have to push myself. "Ok to that stop sign." But once I get near it, I start thinking "Ok... to that curve in the road", and so on. Then I am halfway thru and I think "The faster I run, the faster I will be home and finished!!"

I breathe much better when I have music to block out hearing it. Either that or it's not hearing myself breathe that makes it easier for me to push through being out of breath.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Well, before i was in shape i would run out of breath easily,, my lungs would kill me after only a few minutes. So i had to walk.
    Now i run regularly and can run for almost 3 miles straight. My body gets tired so i have to stop. Plus it doesn't help that i'm sweating like crazy and it gets irritating to keep wiping it off :-P
  • Calidaho
    Calidaho Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    When I used to run (I stopped about 2.5 years ago after my knees and feet started to complain--I was gaining weight. Crazy, I know) it was mostly the aching legs. At first, I would get out of breath. I would even feel like I was having an asthma attack if I ran too fast. Eventually, I learned how to get into a breathing rhythm.

I am looking forward to running again when I get down to a weight that won't kill the tendons.

I always suggest Running for Mortals but John Bingham. Good tips on getting better at running. Unfortunately, I only got the breathing part down before I quit.
  • 15off
    15off Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You might also look into new running shoes. If your shoes are not right, you will have all sorts of leg issues. Also if you are cramping, you may need to hydrate more. Once you have begun exercise its nearly if not totally impossible to re-hyrdate unless you stop your activity all together.
    Take it slow, run at an easy pace. Building strength and endurance isn't something that can be done simultaneously. Its done one at a time.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    When I first started my legs made me stop. That gets better pretty quickly though. It will pass after two or three weeks.
  • kdsmith
    kdsmith Posts: 250
    Options
    I have a question for other new runners or those who were once new runners...

When you first begin a running program...what is it that makes you want to stop, i.e. no longer to endure going and pause to walk. Is it that you're out of breath? Body tired? etc.

I find that I'm never out of breath (well, not now that I have asthma meds), but that my calves aching/tiring always makes me stop after about the 60 second mark (I'm on Couch 2 5k, Week 1, so this is the perfect timing). I never get to a point where I am out of breath, or have a stitch in my side, etc. It's always the legs.

Do your calves hurt after you take a walk break? They could be extremely tight from starting running and perhaps if you are able to get in for a massage on them then that would help. How many times are you running each week? I'm thinking that you should take 3 days off from running and see how they feel. You could call the running store where you bought your shoes and ask if they have anyone available to look at your running form...something as simple as your arms crossing over in front of you instead of keeping them going back and forth in a straight line at 90 degrees bent can make your stride off and make things hurt.

To everyone that gets out of breath fairly quickly, my theory is that if you can run slow enough you will be able to control your breathing a bit better. Never aim for speed, run at a speed where people may wonder if you're walking. This will allow you to go further and the further you go, the more you want to run.
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    Yes leg pain was the original problem. That is pretty much gone now but it ran it's course - upper thighs - calves- shins
    what made me stop for nearly a week and a half now is a major pain in the GLUTE.
    Had to stop running and even walking after that happened... have been lifting weights, doing core exercise routines, taking very slow recovery walks and cycling in the meantime (strangely cycling uses completely different muscles and I was able to do it pain-free!)... finally today I did some walking without too much pain at all - and even ran a block or so of sprints so very much hope to be running again VERY soon!!! :smile:
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    For me - it's my big belly flapping up and down that hurts. My legs are generally ok - i have small breasts so they're well confined to my sports bra, but the belly bouncing up and down and my body in general pounding into the ground - its just uncomfortable. Plus i hate how my shorts ride everywhere they shouldn't go! I wish they would make an *kitten* and belly bra!! LOL. That stuff needs support too lol!!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    It would change for me. It used to be that I would get out of breath easily and I had to stop. Not it's usually my muscles fatiguing that does it. Funny enough though, it's usually my arms that get fatigued before my legs. I probably need to work on more upper body strength training.
  • kdsmith
    kdsmith Posts: 250
    Options
    For me - it's my big belly flapping up and down that hurts. My legs are generally ok - i have small breasts so they're well confined to my sports bra, but the belly bouncing up and down and my body in general pounding into the ground - its just uncomfortable. Plus i hate how my shorts ride everywhere they shouldn't go! I wish they would make an *kitten* and belly bra!! LOL. That stuff needs support too lol!!

LOL!!!!! I cannot stand the whole short riding up problems! I stick to capris now, I figure it's only an extra foot of fabric on my legs!
  • amy_nico1
    amy_nico1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For me, it depends on the day and how I feel physically and mentally. I did C25K last year and got up to running 30 minutes straight (not an entire 5K though) and then immediately stopped, for seemingly no reason (subconscious self-sabotage?). I started it again and am now on week 5. This week scares me; I can't believe I ever completed it before. I agree that the mental part of it all is HUGE. That also determines when you'll fight through minor aches and pains or give up.

Maybe try calf exercises, too, like going up on tiptoes and then back down. It sounds like those smaller muscles might be a little weaker than your major leg muscles and cardiovascular capacity, so they're giving up on you earlier. Drink water 1-2 hrs before working out to prevent cramping (in your legs) too.

I recently read Jeff Galloway's Beginning Running book. I didn't really consider myself "new" to running but bought it anyways and was really glad I did. Consistently start taking walk breaks BEFORE you feel pains or start huffing and puffing, then jog some more (similar to what C25K does but not as strictly regimented). Forcing yourself way beyond your abilities (for example, on a really tough C25K week for you, or a day when you feel weak/tired) is counterproductive.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm not new to running, but am slowly coming back from an injury. This may sound weird but I want to stop or walk, most of the time, because my mind tells me this is too hard. The mental part of running is my biggest challenge. Best of luck to you!

^
    ^
    ^
    This! I've always said "I can't" when it comes to running. Getting over the mental part of it, for me, has been half the battle.
  • HisKathy
    HisKathy Posts: 34
    Options
    do you have good running shoes? When I was first starting the Couch 2 5K, I would run out of breath and just be worn out at the 60 second mark. Actually, I took 3 weeks to do the first 2 weeks of the plan. Eventually, your fitness keeps up with what you have to run. I remember being worried about 3 minutes of running and I just ran for 37 minutes straight this past weekend. If you don't have good running shoes I definitely recommend going to a New Balance store or local running shoe store and getting fitted with some - it will make all the difference. And good luck with the C25K plan, it's changed my life!
  • DrMaryMatthews
    DrMaryMatthews Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For me it's pain in my legs/hips/feet. But I don't mind slowing down to a walk. The point is to keep going, day after day, month after month. My physical therapist says stop if it hurts more than a 3 on a 0-10 pain scale (with 10 being the worst pain ever) It's a good rule. BUT it may also be your stride. Get checked out by a real professional! It makes a world of difference and saves you from a world of pain.

Keep up the good work!! :-)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I get just basically tired and panting for breath. When I realize that I'm jogging so slowly that I might as well be walking, I stop and walk until it's time to run again. I've been coughing like a smoker all day and I've never smoked! I've only just started, always considered myself to "not be a runner" but I'm giving it a shot. I'm hoping to make it to the run 3 minute walk 1 minute stage.
  • laurie_powers
    laurie_powers Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I usually run with friends, and we run at a pace where we can talk during our running. I find that if I can carry a convo, I am running at a good pace for me. I rarely get to where I just can't talk (LOL!)
    For me it's usually my knee or I just don't have the energy that day. Could be not enough water, could be not the right food, etc. Sometimes it's just that I'm plain ol' tired.
    I find that if I'm not feeling it in the first mile or so, I just walk that day, and try again the next day.
    Good luck!
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Mine is also the mental part of it. Set a goal and make it happen. When I started running again mine was overall fatigue, that made me want to stop. I ran with my husband and he helped me push through it.
    Way to go on running. Stretch your calves good and don't push too hard. So that you don't cause an injury. You'll get there :)
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I have a question for other new runners or those who were once new runners...

When you first begin a running program...what is it that makes you want to stop, i.e. no longer to endure going and pause to walk. Is it that you're out of breath? Body tired? etc.

I find that I'm never out of breath (well, not now that I have asthma meds), but that my calves aching/tiring always makes me stop after about the 60 second mark (I'm on Couch 2 5k, Week 1, so this is the perfect timing). I never get to a point where I am out of breath, or have a stitch in my side, etc. It's always the legs.

Ceejay! I feel ya! My calves! My endurance, no matter how out of shape I am, is solid. I've had the calves problem for a long time... not just them getting tired, but they get completely tight and cramped up. After hearing a million people tell me that I'm running wrong, I've eventually come to the conclusion that I have short calve muscles... my dad has the same thing. If you were to look at me completely out of shape, you'd see 2 stellar looking compact and ripped calves... not because I work them out, but because they are naturally like that. Anyways, I don't run often, but when I do, I stretch the heck out of my calves first... and even then I have to start very slow and very slowly build my speed/intensity. Walk for a good half mile before starting to run.

OK, my calve rant is over...
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I tried to review to see if this has been said but you may simply need to slow down just a bit. Not enough that you are walking but slower than you are trying to run now. Running does not have to be fast (and fast is relative). The other thing to check out - when you are running are you slamming into the ground. If so, lighten your step - consciously try to be light on your feet. This may address the calf issues. Good luck to you.
  • briannic
    briannic Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    you need to break through to your second wind, this happens after a couple of months after your body has adapted to the rigours of running. Your breathing and body will relax more and you'll be able to go for longer. Try running on grass to lessen the impact on the joints. The reason those programs work is that they are varied and aim to get you to your goal. Running the same route, the same distance, the same times eventually becomes boring and de motivating. You need to mix it up and keep your running varied. People give up before they break through that first barrier and learn to relax.

Oh I forgot and you need to learn how to stretch properly. Plenty of resources online. Or take up Yoga

But overall you just need to keep going. If your new to running its *kitten* breaking at first and you feel a **** maybe having to stop, walk or old age pensioners fly past you. you'll find your pace, start to enjoy it and eventually your mind will slow down and you'll do some of your best thinking to solve all the days little problems.

If all else fails buy a bike and start cycling.