Tracking your run?

Options
What is everyone using to track there runs? I'm currently using runkeeper but contemplating picking up a GPS watch and looking for some guidance. If you are using a phone app are you also using an HRM. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    My husband got me a Nike + GPS. I had to buy the HRM separate, it's a Polar and works great. Also syncs with the elliptical at home and the treadmill at work.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin watch and does well I also use the mapmyrun app it does eat phone battery power though
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    I just map them out on google maps. But then again, I'm weird and I hate taking anything with me on runs.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    GPS watch is the best way to go - prevents you from having to drag a phone around with you.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    With my older phone I used a Scosche Rhythm HRM and the Digifit app on my phone to track my runs. Never had any trouble with that combo, but there are cooler apps than Digifit. Digifit was one of the few apps compatible with my HRM though.

My new phone allowed me to use a newer HRM and I'm currently using a Wahoo Tickr and the MapMyFitness app. Don't bother with the Wahoo Fitness app, it is a piece of crap and crashed 60% of the times I used it, thus why I am now using MapMyFitness.

I'm still on the fence about the Wahoo Tickr HRM as well. It's pretty good (particularly the offline recording) but would be better if I could also use the app because only that combo gives me all of the data the Tickr collects. So I can't recommend the HRM based on the junky app...even though the HRM itself is actually nice.

If I had the choice all over again, I'd probably purchase a Polar H7 HRM and use either MapMyFitness, Endomondo or Strava for the phone app.
  • Brookin973
    Brookin973 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    GPS watch is the best way to go - prevents you from having to drag a phone around with you.

I agree. I love my Garmin ForeRunner 210. I haven't tried any other GPS watches, though, so I can't really compare it to anything else.
  • simonwarren777
    simonwarren777 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a TomTom Runner Cardio with built in optical HRM

Performs really well, and uploads directly to Strava and Runkeeper (and then to MFP)
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    I just map them out on google maps. But then again, I'm weird and I hate taking anything with me on runs.

I used to do that because I don't own a smart phone, but Amazon had a blowout sell on Garmin 310XT, so I got that. So much easier now because at times, when you run for over 2 hours, you don't remember the exact routes you take.

• rfg1925
    rfg1925 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm still up in there as to what to do. Keep the feedback coming and I'll keep you posted as to what I decide, thanks again,
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin 210 and love it. It replaced my garmin 305 when it finally died on me. My husband uses the garmin 310 and likes that one but I think they are phasing that one out. I don't run without it.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I use the endomondo app, but no HRM. Really like endomondo - lots of data, rock solid and links to MFP
  • Old_Man_McGucket
    Old_Man_McGucket Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I use the Wahoo Fitness app on my phone. It uses the phone's GPS to track the run and captures HRM data via bluetooth.

My runs are then uploaded to Garmin Connect. The Wahoo app synchs with most 3rd party tracking software (MFP, MMF, ect. with the only notable exception being Polar).

During runs, I strap my phone around my wrist, which gives me a great display.

If you're looking for the functionality of Garmin Connect, without shelling out $$$ for a watch, this may be the solution for you.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    For in-depth reviews of many GPS devices, check out Ray Maker (DC Rainmaker)'s site.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    congvo wrote: »
    yusaku02 wrote: »

I used to do that because I don't own a smart phone, but Amazon had a blowout sell on Garmin 310XT, so I got that. So much easier now because at times, when you run for over 2 hours, you don't remember the exact routes you take.
    I do have a smartphone but I couldn't imagine running with something so bulky, even if it were strapped to my arm or something. But that's just me.
  • Old_Man_McGucket
    Old_Man_McGucket Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    For in-depth reviews of many GPS devices, check out Ray Maker (DC Rainmaker)'s site.

Definately this.
  • shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hey,
    I use iCardio coupled with a HRM. As with all smartphone running apps don't trust the GPS distance readout. I have noticed on a mixture of phones and apps that the distance is rarely if ever accurate. My 4.4 mile run always comes out at 4.6 and occasionally 4.8 according to the GPS. If you don't believe me zoom in on your map and you'll see the line jump now and again as the GPS signal weakens or is lost. Obviously this has implications if your interested in pace.

I work it out on Google maps then manually adjust my figures. The app is still useful though. It still gives me a rough pace and more importantly time and current heart rate. I also find that the spoken info ie pace etc is very motivating:-)

As for running with my smart phone, which has a 5.7 inch screen, I use one of those plastic waterproof bags and hang it round my neck. Under my running top it stays still and I often wonder if it's still there lol

Shaun.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I've been using RunKeeper for a year or so, the free version. I use the GPS function outside and the stopwatch function at the rec center.

I also use a Polar chest strap HRM but it doesn't sync with the phone. When comparing calories burned it is surprising close to the RunKeeper app.

I have thought about buying a HRM that syncs with RunKeeper but decided it isn't needed.
  • eshults89
    eshults89 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    RunKepper app!!! love it. ran all my races with it.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    TomTom MultiSport synced to mapmyrun
  • ccburn5
    ccburn5 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I have almost 600 miles logged with RunKeeper and while I am not about to change, I did just get a FitBit and am going to start using it as well but they do sync up so thats a good thing.