Why you don't Excercise

Options

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I have it right in my profile.... I have 2 young kids, I work full-time, I have a good relationship with my husband, I keep the house tidy and make all the meals, I just finished a bachelor's degree as a full-time student, AND I spend time with friends on the weekends. Nobody truly DOESN'T HAVE TIME to exercise.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Edited: Don't want to get into this discussion... some people really don't have time, some do. Let's not make assumptions about individuals.
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight fine without exercise. I hate exercise and I'm lazy, so I'm not going to do it. I walk to uni (30 minute walk there, 30 minutes back) three times a week and swim once or twice a week because these are the only forms of exercise that I enjoy. At the weekends I don't even get out of bed :neutral_face:

Whatever your goals are. Just be aware, being skinny is an aesthetic goal that can be done with just restriction of calories. "Health" comes from good nutrition & exercise.

There's a big difference between getting skinny via the Twinkie Diet, vs proper diet & exercise :)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Just because someone is overweight doesn't mean they don't exercise. People can appear "all out of shape" because they're overweight and still exercise - even a lot!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Exercise has very little to do with losing weight. Exercise is for fitness. losing weight is mostly done through eating correctly, at a deficit. No one said you had to exercise to lose weight. OP said people are "out of shape", not overweight.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Exercise has very little to do with losing weight. Exercise is for fitness. losing weight is mostly done through eating correctly, at a deficit. No one said you had to exercise to lose weight. OP said people are "out of shape", not overweight.

OP has no idea if someone is "out of shape" unless they're basing it on weight. I don't think they're out giving fitness tests to "all" the people around them.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    omma_to_3 wrote: »

OP has no idea if someone is "out of shape" unless they're basing it on weight. I don't think they're out giving fitness tests to "all" the people around them.

Exactly! :)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Very true.
  • Zara11
    edited February 2015
    Options
    edited: misread a quote. never mind.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think it's generally a cop-out that people don't have time, at least it is if they watch TV.

But I also think it's perfectly acceptable to choose not to exercise because you have other priorities.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Heh heh. I read "Poople" and thought of "Popples". Remember these little guys?

w73lmisti4gj.jpg
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Zara11 wrote: »

OP's post is all about people claiming they don't have enough time to exercise, so yes, his post is also about exercise.

Err no it's not.

He looks at people believes they are all out of shape by how they look and assumes they are claiming they don't have time.

I doubt he did a poll of all these people to decide
    A) if they're out if shape
    b) why they don't exercise.

Op judged people by appearance and jumped to a bunch of conclusions.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

OP's post is all about people claiming they don't have enough time to exercise, so yes, his post is also about exercise.

OP is assuming people are "out-of-shape" by simply looking at them... Hence why he said "I look around me at people. they are all...ALL out of shape." He's deciding whether a person is out-of-shape or not based solely on looks.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »
    I'm losing weight fine without exercise. I hate exercise and I'm lazy, so I'm not going to do it. I walk to uni (30 minute walk there, 30 minutes back) three times a week and swim once or twice a week because these are the only forms of exercise that I enjoy. At the weekends I don't even get out of bed :neutral_face:

Whatever your goals are. Just be aware, being skinny is an aesthetic goal that can be done with just restriction of calories. "Health" comes from good nutrition & exercise.

There's a big difference between getting skinny via the Twinkie Diet, vs proper diet & exercise :)

I am very much aware of this. But as my health is bad anyway... (I have a bleeding disorder that, no, is not going to be helped by any amount of vegetables or exercise). I always make sure to hit my protein goals so that I can try to retain muscle. I FEEL fine though. And isn't that what the 'health' goal is about? Feeling healthy? But I already feel healthy, so there's no need for me to exercise to do so. I also never said what my diet was like. We have never had twinkies in the UK :p
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

OP is assuming people are "out-of-shape" by simply looking at them... Hence why he said "I look around me at people. they are all...ALL out of shape." He's deciding whether a person is out-of-shape or not based solely on looks.

Then he picked a random website and decided it was because they all don't have time and chose to lecture us on how we do have the time.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I struggle to work out and have a ton of excuses I know I need to get over. I work full time (60+ hours a week), have kids, live in a tiny town that has one crappy gym that is never open and even if it was open more I'd have no one to watch my kids, I dislocated my shoulder a few years ago and it still hurts like crazy when I lift weights or do too many reps of anything that uses that arm...my house is tiny so finding space to workout in it is hard ( I kicked my three year old in the head last time I tried.) If I worked out in the morning I'd end up waking the kids up. And I just plain get bored really easy with it. Oh and I also have really big tatas and I've yet found a sports bra supportive enough for any type of running or jumping...I usually wear a regular bra with two sports bras on top and it's still not enough to prevent getting a black eye.
  • omma_to_3
    Options

I never said it wasn't about exercise. I never even said he's not right to question the motives of people who don't exercise. What I said was, he has no idea, based strictly on looking at someone, if they exercise or not.

• Iron_Feline
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »

I am very much aware of this. But as my health is bad anyway... (I have a bleeding disorder that, no, is not going to be helped by any amount of vegetables or exercise). I always make sure to hit my protein goals so that I can try to retain muscle. I FEEL fine though. And isn't that what the 'health' goal is about? Feeling healthy? But I already feel healthy, so there's no need for me to exercise to do so. I also never said what my diet was like. We have never had twinkies in the UK :p

Some tesco's have them in the world food aisle :bigsmile:
  • Zara11
    Options
    Okay, I think I phrased that wrong. I agree with you guys that there are assumptions being made about whether people were exercising or not.

However, there is ALSO a separate discussion being had about why prioritizing time to exercise isn't always the best option for people at certain times in their life, and I misread the first post I quoted as saying that the OP wasn't talking about exercise. My bad!
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    That's just the number 1 excuse that people give. The real reason people don't exercise is because they do not WANT to exercise. They are lazy and would rather do something else, period.