How long after waking up do you have before eating breakfast?

Options
They say eating breakfast kick-starts your metabolism, but how long after waking up is considered a "healthy" amount of time to eat that first meal?

Replies

• salemxo
    Options
    I usually have breakfast an hour after I've got up and got ready for the day
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,423 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is a myth, your metabolism is always running. Generally speaking, other than maybe coffee, I don't usually eat on weekdays until 5-7 hrs after waking up. Weekends, I eat at about the same time, but may or may not have slept later.

42829955.png
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The consensus on the board is that there is no such thing as kick-starting the metabolism. I am a diabetic in remission so my training included a routine breakfast at the same time every day (diabetics do this to monitor their blood sugar around the clock). My breakfast is always between 6:00 and 6:30 every morning. But my "metabolism" has me up between 4:30 and 5:00 every morning! I've just decided that I must hydrate first thing every morning, so I put a water bottle at bedside.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Who is "they"?

2 hrs for me - exercise between rising and eating.
  • 135by60
    135by60 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I bought into a lot of these kinds of *myths* in the past. Don't eat this, can't eat that, must eat breakfast, must not eat after 8 pm.
    This time around I threw all of that out the window. I eat when I'm hungry and I burn more calories than I eat. Period. So far so good! Losing 1.5lbs a week, steadily.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Breakfast or no breakfast, meal timing, etc. is all about personal preference. Some people feel increased mood or concentration and decreased hunger throughout the day when they eat breakfast. But others experience the complete opposite and find that breakfast makes them hungrier and lethargic. Skipping it won't hurt your metabolism and it won't halt your weight loss. Eat it whenever you want.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I usually drink some water and coffee first while I'm cooking my breakfast. I don't wake up starving anymore like I used to, so no rush. I do try to eat within an hour or so though just because it helps me eat better throughout the day if I have a good breakfast. If I wait until my tummy is grumbling, I'm more likely to eat something that won't sustain me for very long.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person, so have a strict routine in order to get my daughter to school and myself to work on time. Up at 6.40, breakfast at 7.25.

However, that is only during the week, and only because I do a really good zombie impression in the mornings. As others have said, meal timing doesn't matter, eat when you are hungry and it is convenient for you. End of.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast because its important is a myth. Many people do not eat until much later in the day. I generally eat about 7 hours after waking up.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am on 6/18 Intermittent Fasting so I "break fast" around 11:30 or noon..
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Yep, it doesn't kick start anything. I don't eat until about 2 or 3pm. Just do what works for you.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    i have breakfast when I get to work, so probably not for about 2 hours. On weekends, it's usually an hour after waking up
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It doesn't kickstart your metabolism. Your metabolism doesn't stop working until you die.

It varies every day. Sometimes I have it within an hour of waking up. Sometimes I wait 2-3 hours. Sundays I wake up at 2 and don't eat until 7.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily believe in having breakfast everyday, but I usually find myself being hungry about 2 hours after I wake (and try and eat lightly about 1 hour before I work out).
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Usually as soon as I get up, unless it's my "weigh in" day, then I wait until after I've pooped and weigh myself. ;)
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    lizzocat wrote: »
    i have breakfast when I get to work, so probably not for about 2 hours. On weekends, it's usually an hour after waking up
    Same, I just have a bowl of oatmeal at work most mornings. About a hour and a half after waking up for me.
  • senglishrose
    senglishrose Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I get up shortly after 4am and by the time I get ready for work, to the the train, get on the metro (the camel lol, ok, no camels), and get to work, it's about 2 1/2 hours before I have breakfast.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    usually an hour or 2 after i get up.
  • pap3rw1ngs
    pap3rw1ngs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    2-3 hours usually. I like to go to the gym or for a walk before I eat.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    My stomach decides to eat at the most randomest times. Sometimes I'm hungry as soon as I wake up (5:45 am), while other times it'll take hours to feel hungry. Like yesterday I ate until 1 pm. Timing has nothing to do with weight loss. :drinker: