GF wine?

Options
I don't drink but my one SO does. She enjoys having a glass of wine with dinner and occasionally other adult beverages (although never more than one around me). I keep my place completely gluten, wheat, barley and oat free. I am curious if anyone has some good suggestions on some GF wine?

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Um, wine is made from grapes. Grapes do not contain gluten. There may be some wines with additives containing gluten, but they are by far the minority.
  • Darkhawk1969
    Darkhawk1969 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    bumped
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Um, wine is made from grapes. Grapes do not contain gluten. There may be some wines with additives containing gluten, but they are by far the minority.

Uh no. A majority of wine is not gluten free because they line the barrels with flour during the fermenting process.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Then buy a wine with the stainless steel finish, instead of oak, lots to choose from or just check their website. I would also mention that oats don't have gluten but I have a feeling you'll pull the cross contamination card. Anyway I'm sure if your celiac that finding GF wine products should be relatively easy. Good luck.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Erm, wine is gluten free 99.99% of the time, except when it contains added coloring or flavoring - such as dessert wines.

On a personal note, not sure we'd ever be best friends. Why are you forcing your SO to make the GF choice too?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options
    MCIBTY wrote: »
    Erm, wine is gluten free 99.99% of the time, except when it contains added coloring or flavoring - such as dessert wines.

On a personal note, not sure we'd ever be best friends. Why are you forcing your SO to make the GF choice too?
    Some vintners use a wheat paste to help seal the barrels but the amount transferred into wine is minuscule, less the 5 parts per million, but people need to know that actually do have celiac disease, even though that amount won't effect them, it's just good business practices in general.

• elphie754
    Options
    Then buy a wine with the stainless steel finish, instead of oak, lots to choose from or just check their website. I would also mention that oats don't have gluten but I have a feeling you'll pull the cross contamination card. Anyway I'm sure if your celiac that finding GF wine products should be relatively easy. Good luck.

Oats can be gluten free, but I am allergic to actual oat, not just the gluten. I am not celiac, I have an actual allergy (anaphylaxis). "cross contamination card"? Really? Not sure if you meant to be rude or it just came across wrong.

I didn't even know they made wine in steel. As I said l, I no longer drink.
    MCIBTY wrote: »

Not forcing at all. This is for when she is here. I am so deadly allergic that I refuse to have it in my place at all.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Cross-contamination for people with celiac's is a big deal, so I can understand you not wanting to have products containing gluten in your house.

Try to stick to new world wines (USA, Australia, etc.) as opposed to old-world wines (France, Italy, etc.) since they're more likely to use gluten-free production processes. A few wineries -- mainly California ones -- certify themselves as gluten-free, and most wineries have a customer service email or phone number where you can ask if in doubt.
  • elphie754
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Cross-contamination for people with celiac's is a big deal, so I can understand you not wanting to have products containing gluten in your house.

Try to stick to new world wines (USA, Australia, etc.) as opposed to old-world wines (France, Italy, etc.) since they're more likely to use gluten-free production processes. A few wineries -- mainly California ones -- certify themselves as gluten-free, and most wineries have a customer service email or phone number where you can ask if in doubt.

Great to know. Will look into domestic wines.

I heard someone say white wines tend to be gf, but not sure how true that is. Have been trying to fine information about that, but answers seem varied.
  • segacs
    Options
    I don't think there's a difference in gluten in white vs. red wine. After all, chardonnays aged in oak barrels can have traces of gluten despite being white wine. In general, you probably want to look for wines aged in stainless steel casks.

I think many people are referring to the sulfites and tannins in red wine, since a lot of people are sensitive or allergic to them. As far as I know, there's no connection between sulfites and gluten other than the fact that some people are allergic to both. But YMMV.
  • elphie754
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't think there's a difference in gluten in white vs. red wine. After all, chardonnays aged in oak barrels can have traces of gluten despite being white wine. In general, you probably want to look for wines aged in stainless steel casks.

I think many people are referring to the sulfites and tannins in red wine, since a lot of people are sensitive or allergic to them. As far as I know, there's no connection between sulfites and gluten other than the fact that some people are allergic to both. But YMMV.

Ahh okay. That makes a lot of sense. Thank you!
  • segacs
    Options
    Anyway, if you're not drinking it, if it's just your GF, then even wines containing traces of gluten are generally at such a low threshold in PPM that most gluten allergy sufferers don't have any issues. Sounds like your allergy is severe so I can understand you wanting to be careful, but most wine is probably safe.

Beer or whisky on the other hand...
  • elphie754
    Options
    Anyway, if you're not drinking it, if it's just your GF, then even wines containing traces of gluten are generally at such a low threshold in PPM that most gluten allergy sufferers don't have any issues. Sounds like your allergy is severe so I can understand you wanting to be careful, but most wine is probably safe.

Beer or whisky on the other hand...

I have had issues with trace amounts in the past. Even food that are technically gf (test under 220ppm) I have reacted to. I have friends that laugh and call me paranoid, but being overly cautious is how I've managed to stay out of the hospital. I've been intubated multiple times for it and it's just worth it to take a chance.

Lol. Nope. No whiskey or beer here. I have heard of gf beer, but no idea how it tastes.
  • segacs
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I have had issues with trace amounts in the past. Even food that are technically gf (test under 220ppm) I have reacted to. I have friends that laugh and call me paranoid, but being overly cautious is how I've managed to stay out of the hospital. I've been intubated multiple times for it and it's just worth it to take a chance.

Hey, I hear ya. One of my good friends has a super-sensitive peanut allergy and refuses to have anything that "may contain traces" of peanuts in her house. Her husband is super supportive and understanding.

Staying out of the hospital is a good plan. :)
  • cpp_happy
    cpp_happy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Celiac.com is a great reference for checking :)
  • elphie754
    Options
    ccpowles wrote: »
    Celiac.com is a great reference for checking :)

Thank you for the link.
  • sobieski109
    sobieski109 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's not wine but hard cider such as angry orchard are gluten free and they are really good
  • elphie754
    Options
    It's not wine but hard cider such as angry orchard are gluten free and they are really good

Thank you for the suggestion. Not sure if they like hard cider, but will reccomend it :).