I'm in need of some serious support!

Options
I'm overweight and my scale told me so....
I would love to lose about 60 lb....I'm happy to take it slow if it means I'm healthy....I would love to start running....any tips? Anyone need to lose that amount? I've got horrible eating habits, I'm lazy but I am wanting to change my ways.
Any support and love would be soooo greatly appreciated!

Replies

• shannonhoodhayes
    Options
    Google "Couch to 5k" it's a running program that gradually builds up. Just started it myself and it's very do-able!
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I would love to support you, but I ask that you do the same in return. Please add me as a buddy and make sure you change your settings to share you food and exercise diary so that I can coach you along the way!
  • DancingYogini
    DancingYogini Posts: 377
    Options
    Scales are so mean...I hide mine in the closet :laugh: I am maintaining now, but this site got me to my goal weight and has kept me there. Logging everything, and I mean everything, will keep you honest and give you a great idea of what your eating habits are really like (they might not be as awful as you think). Start exercising, even if it is only 10 minutes a day...I started out with just that amount on my elliptical, and gradually increased it to 30 minutes (now I do 60 minutes of Yoga 4-5 times a week). Grab some friends, and start getting motivated!! Welcome...you can do it :drinker:
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    welcome & good luck
  • Mrs_Brackett
    Mrs_Brackett Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This kind of support is really making me feel so motivated!!! Thank you all!!
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    Just one tip when you're starting to run, make sure you stretch really well before and after. I started my journey at the end of January and was super gung-ho. I ran 4-5 times per week and gradually worked to more distance and for long durations, but I did no stretching whatsoever. By the beginning of March, I developed really bad shin splits. It was painful just to walk some days. After many visits to my chiropractor and massage therapist, I'm back up and going . They have given me stretches.

Stretch your calves and hamstrings both before and after you exercise. Take it slow, and don't forget to have rest days. There's nothing more discouraging than being injured once your on the right track!

Jan 27, 2011 - 171
    May 10, 2011 -146
    June 12, 2011 - First 10K
    Goal Weight - 137 (June 20???)
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh 253 pounds. I was a size 24. I am now down to 180 and I have to say what helped me at first was jogging. I got on a treadmill and started with 20 minutes, and then eventually got up to 45 minutes. Now I do other exercises and I too want to lose a good amount of weight (50 for me). That I would watch my calories and carb intake.

But first you have to ask yourself why you are going to do it. Why you are going to stick to your goal, discipline yourself to say no to junk and sweets. What are you willing to do today right now to get to where you want to be. It is a lifestyle change and it will take some blood sweat and tears. What will keep you motivated if you ever feel like giving up?
    I have to say that is really the biggest thing to it all-determination to want something so bad that you won't stop at anything to get to where you want to be.

You can totally do it! It's all about the journey!
  • Autumn1206
    Autumn1206 Posts: 126
    Options
    I'm working on losing 50 - that's close to 60 and I despise running, so I'm no help there. I just like that you're honest! I like walking way better than running, but I get bored with it. So a few months back, we got a bowflex off of craig's list and once I got the hang of it, I just didn't want to stop. I replaced the couch surfing part of my evening routine with working out. I convinced myself that I could do 20 minutes, three times a week, then I got bored and started adding more work outs. Now I am working more and more into my routine and my 20 minutes, three times a week has become 30+ minutes 6 days a week, with alternating cardio days. I despise cardio, but I've got this stubborn streak, and now I am determined that I am going to kick cardio's butt, just like I am going to shove 50 pounds down my scale's throat. Well, I'm determined anyway.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Welcome and this site is amazing

Please feel free to add me if you would like!
  • wills2be
    wills2be Posts: 26
    Options
    Scales are so mean...I hide mine in the closet :laugh: I am maintaining now, but this site got me to my goal weight and has kept me there. Logging everything, and I mean everything, will keep you honest and give you a great idea of what your eating habits are really like (they might not be as awful as you think). Start exercising, even if it is only 10 minutes a day...I started out with just that amount on my elliptical, and gradually increased it to 30 minutes (now I do 60 minutes of Yoga 4-5 times a week). Grab some friends, and start getting motivated!! Welcome...you can do it :drinker:

Agreed!! This site is awesome, feel free to add me too if you want.
  • cassieday
    cassieday Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    First off: Would love to be an accountability buddy!!! Feel free to add me!

Your best bet for running is to do intervals. Start with a 1min run, 1min walk. Than once that is comfortable up the run by 30 seconds. Everytime it gets comfortable add 30 seconds until you are at a 5-1 ratio. It is so much better for your body to do intervals as opposed to straight running and you get a high calorie burn. Good luck!!!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    1) tracking for a couple of weeks before I worried about losing.
    (although seeing what I was eating I couldn't help but rein back a bit)

2) seeing where I could make small changes on things that weren't that important to me.
    (Don't even think of taking chocolate out of my diet!!!)
    --Reducing quantities where I won't notice it so much
    --Swapping out things instead of eliminating them.

3) Look at my diary and started adding foods that had positive healthy effects specifically for the health issue in my family.
    I found most of the things I "should" add were really yummy too! salmon, avocado, oatmeal, mango, red grapes....
    (Sort of think of food as medicine to deal with family history of various health issue oatmeal is good for heart health, mango and red grapes lower cholesterol, tumeric and cinnamon good for arthritis)

4) every couple of weeks I see where I can make another couple of small changes.
    If you completely revamp your diet, it's way easy to revert to old ways in times of stress.
    If you make a series of small changes, food still offers you some sense of comfort.
    sort of a comfort continuum, and after a while the first small changes will seem comforting in themselves.
    You don't have to be perfect you just have to do better.

5) also rather than being uberstrict with the target MFP set for me I did the math to find out the calories needed to maintain my goal weight and my current weight and I gave myself a range with 1200 as my rock bottom, lose 1 lb/wk as my target and maintain my goal weight as the top of my range. As long as I keep within in this range I'll lose. I tend to naturally zig zag my calories 3-4 at very close to my target and then a higher calorie day closer to the top of my range.

As long as I stayed under maintain my current weight calories I won't gain. So no need to throw in the towel, just pick-up where I left off.

Once I found ways to lessen the stress, I found it way easier to focus on the process and let the results follow. (It's what worked for me some people nee the stress to get them motivated. Me I get scared and overwhelmed and don't see the big goal as acheivable. I only worry about it 1 lb at a time.)