Katie Hopkins story

Options
Elise4270
Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
edited February 2015 in Motivation and Support
http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/british-tv-personality-katie-hopkins-gained-lost-weight/story?id=28216895

Kind of contraversial, but I thought it was interesting how she challenged today's thinking as well as her own.

Replies

• GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Katie Hopkins seems to have a simplistic view of obesity. The fact that she believes that her ability to gain 50 pounds, and then lose it demonstrates that it should be this easy for everyone is indicative of her failure to consider the many factors involved in weight management.

Furthermore, since she clearly benefits financially from participating in this gimmick, her motivation to both gain and lose weight is much different from most overweight people.

Having said all of this, the only way out of obesity is to use the available tools such as nutrition and calorie management and exercise on a consistent basis.
  • SallyJones1985
    SallyJones1985 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Katie Hopkins is a cretin and anything she says should just be dismissed automatically
  • canoepug56
    canoepug56 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    An absolute waste of skin that shouldn't be allowed to open her vile moronic upper class mouth.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    She seemed to have learned a little, but not enough. The first thing she should have realized is, if gaining weight and not exercising is stupidly hard and unpleasant for her and at one point required an 'eating coach', then there are people out there who find eating in a deficit and exercising equally as difficult.

Also, she was a clinically underweight woman who dealt with her emotional issues by running but has no sympathy for a clinically overweight woman who deals with her issues through food. At the end she just seemed smug and snotty again, once she got to start losing weight again (which was obviously pretty easy and fun for her).
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I was wondering if there was a difference in the UK vs USA view of her. I completely agree with her, yet completely agree she may not entirely be seeing the whole picture. I just don't have enough understanding of her stance and reputation. I figure those in the UK would see that more than i.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    She's a godawful excuse for a human being.
  • LettingTheSmallStuffGo
    LettingTheSmallStuffGo Posts: 72 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I find it very sad that she would trivialize other people's struggles. When I've encountered people like that in the past it's usually a mechanism they use to cover their own personal issues so the spotlight is on someone else other than them. She certainly has her fair share of problems and struggles in her life, she may want to consider giving grace and mercy to those who also struggle.
  • Lorraine128
    Lorraine128 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Katie Hopkins is a cretin and anything she says should just be dismissed automatically

This is pretty much the UK view on Ms Hopkins. I immediately switch off any time she comes on the radio or TV. I cannot bear to listen to her.

• melorastar
    melorastar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Although I and most people think that she's a complete nutter and should never be taken seriously, I was interested by her "experiment". After watching it I did see some positives about it but also noticed that the main problem is that she forced herself to do it, never let eating that much become a habit, and she never gained the mindset of seeking solace with food. As a result I think her experiment is completely flawed, since being overweight is a mental battle too and not just physical :/ in addition she just lacks simple empathy needed and just loves to embarrass larger women instead, which won't result in motivation in most cases I think.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @melorastar‌ I think your exactly right.

No way she could understand obesity/weight battles any more than a non addict understands alcololism. Yes they too could just simply put it down. But it's not that simple.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    melorastar wrote: »
    Although I and most people think that she's a complete nutter and should never be taken seriously, I was interested by her "experiment". After watching it I did see some positives about it but also noticed that the main problem is that she forced herself to do it, never let eating that much become a habit, and she never gained the mindset of seeking solace with food. As a result I think her experiment is completely flawed, since being overweight is a mental battle too and not just physical :/ in addition she just lacks simple empathy needed and just loves to embarrass larger women instead, which won't result in motivation in most cases I think.

This. Not only that, but if I heard what she said to her therapist correctly about having seizures that could kill her dead any time, she was a complete nutter for doing this to herself to try to prove her point anyway. Then again, being underweight like she was probably wasn't a good idea either.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Professional body builders put on 35lbs-50lbs annually to bulk up, then cut up for contests on a regular basis. Granted, they also do drugs to help with their weight, but what's she's done isn't anything others in fitness haven't done many other times.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I watched it a while back. I thought it hilarious that she got nicer as she gained then back to nasty as she lost it.

She is a massive bell end but I tend to agree with her on this argument.
  • SallyJones1985
    SallyJones1985 Posts: 55 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    As ive stated before.... She's a cretin. Most of us in the UK feel the same and the problem with this article is that what she hopes to prove is that all those overweight are lazy and just unwilling to put in the hard work to lose said weight. This coming from the woman who said that she was unwilling to let her children play with those whose parents had given them what she regarded 'trashy' names, including (but not excluding) names after places (she has a daughter called India) and thinks that naming a child Hannah is just asking for that child to had dyslexia as the name is spelled the same from both ways... She has an opinion on everything and is very rarely right. I may also point out that she was papped doing a married man in a field,but likes to portray herself as a decent human being. When in fact she is the scum of humanity.

*edit because I missed a word
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    American author, TV personality and transformation pro Chris Powell says that Hopkins’ weight experiment discounts too much.

“She’s focusing so much on the physical aspect of weight loss and she’s totally ignored the psychological and emotional component of it,” Powell, the host of ABC’s “Extreme Weight Loss,” told ABC News.

Sometimes too much emphasis is placed on psychological and emotional components, and sometimes it's a deliberate ploy by the obese to either excuse themselves and rationalize away their behavior, or it's a ploy by network producers who get ratings when obese people blubber and cry over largely irrelevant issues for the cameras.

I watched the 2-part special, and while she doesn't have the most sparkling personality in the world, her show was a lot more educational than the tripe that Chris Powell puts out in the US.

• palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I watched the show and found her insensitive. I didn't like at all how she treated people Many people are fascinated by bullies, which is probably the main reason they made the show in the first place. Let's watch this bully stick it to the fatties! That will be fun! Disgusting.

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    American author, TV personality and transformation pro Chris Powell says that Hopkins’ weight experiment discounts too much.

“She’s focusing so much on the physical aspect of weight loss and she’s totally ignored the psychological and emotional component of it,” Powell, the host of ABC’s “Extreme Weight Loss,” told ABC News.

Sometimes too much emphasis is placed on psychological and emotional components, and sometimes it's a deliberate ploy by the obese to either excuse themselves and rationalize away their behavior, or it's a ploy by network producers who get ratings when obese people blubber and cry over largely irrelevant issues for the cameras.

I watched the 2-part special, and while she doesn't have the most sparkling personality in the world, her show was a lot more educational than the tripe that Chris Powell puts out in the US.

Ah, Powell. Another cuddle bunny who peddles the line that it's all some external factor and dem feels that cause weight gain.

Well it bloody isn't. It's people consuming too many calories for too long. It's our own mess, we're the ones that need to fix it, and, yes; it isn't actually that hard to do.

Careful, you may get called a bully or be charged with a hate crime with that talk about personal responsibility and the power to change (or not) being entirely in our hands and whatnot. Dem Feelz is King.

• novembersuse
    novembersuse Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    melorastar wrote: »

I completely agree. People gain weight through long-term habit and a million other factors that lead us to over-eat and not move around enough. Her little circus experiment no more demonstrates the facts of weight gain and weight loss than smoking 100 cigarettes and then stopping demonstrates the struggle with smoking.

• Jim_G30
    Jim_G30 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    She is a waste of skin and air!!!
  • aquamarina_182
    aquamarina_182 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm not even going to bother....