Options
2»

Replies

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    doobzflo wrote: »
    However, I know that even with limited options, it is still possible. I just need to find the will power. Any ideas?
    You have plenty of options left. You still have eggs, legumes, all green vegetables, reasonable amounts of fruit...by the way some fruits are relatively low in carbs, raspberries come to mind. You say you must limit dairy? Does that mean none at all, or can you have one or two servings a day...if you can greek yogurt has a lot of protein, so does cottage cheese. There is more than enough there to give you all the nutrition you need. You just need to be open to eating some new things and focusing more on healthier choices for your condition.

And the easiest way to not eat the cakes and other things you aren't supposed to eat is to not buy them. I just never bring things I don't want to eat into my home...it's much easier and more reliable than willpower 24/7.

• FighterGal86
    FighterGal86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the people on here who say you don't need to cut it all out... start by lowering your intake instead of going cold turkey. If you're really asking about will power, there's lots of research available online around the topic ("The Power of Habit" is a great read, for example). One of the main ideas about will power is that it is finite... you can only make so many "good" decisions in a day before you deplete your will power and succumb to your desire or habit. To avoid that, minimize your need for willpower by reducing your decisions. Pre-plan your food and exercise for the day and schedule it all in, so you don't have to fight with yourself about what to eat throughout the day. You can also pre-make as much of your food as possible, for the same reason. Will power is also like a muscle - the more you exercise it, the stronger it gets. Finally, the best way to replace an unwanted habit is to trade it for a desired one... don't create a vacuum, fill that "void" with something more desirable (Example: If you crave cookies after a long day of work and usually eat one when you get home... go for after work instead of going home. Cookie habit replaced by walking habit).
    Good luck!!
  • doobzflo
    Options
    Thanks MoiAussi! That was some really great advice!
  • ilovemypeekapug
    ilovemypeekapug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    OP, I thought calorie counting would be tedious, too. In reality it only takes a few taps on the qpp, or clicks on the computer to log each meal. After a few weeks, it's just part of my routine. It gets easier. Just do the best you can everyday. You CAN do this!!!!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Well I managed to lose 141 pounds without cutting anything out. Why make it difficult for yourself
  • doobzflo
    Options
    labrams2 wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of the people on here who say you don't need to cut it all out... start by lowering your intake instead of going cold turkey. If you're really asking about will power, there's lots of research available online around the topic ("The Power of Habit" is a great read, for example). One of the main ideas about will power is that it is finite... you can only make so many "good" decisions in a day before you deplete your will power and succumb to your desire or habit. To avoid that, minimize your need for willpower by reducing your decisions. Pre-plan your food and exercise for the day and schedule it all in, so you don't have to fight with yourself about what to eat throughout the day. You can also pre-make as much of your food as possible, for the same reason. Will power is also like a muscle - the more you exercise it, the stronger it gets. Finally, the best way to replace an unwanted habit is to trade it for a desired one... don't create a vacuum, fill that "void" with something more desirable (Example: If you crave cookies after a long day of work and usually eat one when you get home... go for after work instead of going home. Cookie habit replaced by walking habit).
    Good luck!!

Thank you! This is some great advice and I will be buying this book for kindle tonight!
  • doobzflo
    Options
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »
    Well I managed to lose 141 pounds without cutting anything out. Why make it difficult for yourself

How did you do this??
  • doobzflo
    Options
    OP, I thought calorie counting would be tedious, too. In reality it only takes a few taps on the qpp, or clicks on the computer to log each meal. After a few weeks, it's just part of my routine. It gets easier. Just do the best you can everyday. You CAN do this!!!!

Thank you!! :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

How did you do this??

eat at a calorie deficit....that's it.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    When you have cysts on your ovaries, a mere calorie deficit doesn't work...
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Since you don't eat meat, you might want to try lots of fresh veggies, sweet potatoes, nuts, and seeds. Get yourself stuffed silly on a sweet potato topped with spinach mixed with chopped almonds and cashews and peppers, for example, maybe some olive oil or melted coconut oil drizzled on there, some vinegar if you like the zing.
  • BaileyRoshau
    Options
    You are not alone, I'm not addicted to carbs but I am addicted to sugar and I can't seem to kick it to lose weight.
  • doobzflo
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    Since you don't eat meat, you might want to try lots of fresh veggies, sweet potatoes, nuts, and seeds. Get yourself stuffed silly on a sweet potato topped with spinach mixed with chopped almonds and cashews and peppers, for example, maybe some olive oil or melted coconut oil drizzled on there, some vinegar if you like the zing.

wow that sounds delicious! Will definitely try :)
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »

wow that sounds delicious! Will definitely try :)

Still not low carb, but might transition you away from the cookies and such. Meanwhile, maybe you could schedule an appointment with a nutritionist well-versed in your particular health issues?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

How did you do this??

I love when people don't actually read the whole thread and see there's an issue beyond simple CICO. :neutral_face:

OP, check out the Atkins website for a very well laid out list of foods that are low carb/glycemic. There are some on there that you probably have never thought about. They also have a really nice recipe selection. Additionally, there are low carb groups on MFP (use the Groups link above to find them) where you can get support and ideas from others who either need or want to eat lower carb for weight loss.

Good luck! You really can do this it's just going to take some dedication to think about food a bit differently.

• marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    lilRicki wrote: »
    When you have cysts on your ovaries, a mere calorie deficit doesn't work...
    I've lost 26 pounds with a calorie deficit, and I have PCOS. PCOS makes it harder, especially if you also have insulin resistance, but it does work.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »

How did you do this??

I love when people don't actually read the whole thread and see there's an issue beyond simple CICO. :neutral_face:

OP, check out the Atkins website for a very well laid out list of foods that are low carb/glycemic. There are some on there that you probably have never thought about. They also have a really nice recipe selection. Additionally, there are low carb groups on MFP (use the Groups link above to find them) where you can get support and ideas from others who either need or want to eat lower carb for weight loss.

Good luck! You really can do this it's just going to take some dedication to think about food a bit differently.

Don't quote me if you think I didn't read the thread. I read it just fine and answered accordingly.