military diet

Options
Has anyone tried the military diet or do called three day diet.. said to help u lose 10 ibs in 3 days or 40ibs in one month.
Day one for me .. any success stories? Please share ;)

Replies

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    no - no and by the way no.

Eat at a moderate deficit, and log your food accurately.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Weight loss doesn't work that way. Eat as suggested by MFP at your setup.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    NO!!!!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Crash diet that's not sustainable. I don't recommend it.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I actually tried it once. But I didn't weigh myself before or after so I have no idea if I lost weight. If I had it would have only been water weight. If you have significant weight you are trying to lose, don't bother. If you're like my sister and you're already at your goal weight and you just get bored and like a challenge, then more power to you, I guess.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    10lbs in 3days? No!
  • schafer_stacy
    schafer_stacy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    my bf and I did try it, he lost about 9lbs, I lost about 7... it worked for us, but was sooooo much tuna that we couldn't make ourselves do it again the next week lol. Good luck
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You'll lose some water weight and maybe a little fat. You'll gain most of that back within days of stopping. There's a chance you'll over do it coming off the restrictive diet, so you'll gain the fat back too (possibly plus some). If you do this over and over again you'll start burning lean mass, which will reduce your BMR and make it harder to maintain weight loss long term.

I was in the military. The real military diet is three well balanced meals and a solid day of hard work followed by a long run.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's a silly, outdated crash diet which continues to persist. It has nothing to do with the military and has no magic combination of food, it's just a VLCD which continues to appeal to people looking for a quick fix.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    This is a myth! If you're trying to make weight or lose weight to please the recruiter, don't do it. I've been in for nearly 20 years and never heard of anyone succesfully completing this so-called diet.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I looked at the "military diet" once. Ick. This is how it works. It is insanely restrictive, and instructs the newbie that ONLY IF THE DIET IS FOLLOWED EXACTLY will they see the desired results. Except this insane diet can't possibly be followed. You are gonna "cheat" somewhere along the line and then POW. It's YOUR failure, not the stupid diet!

Besides, real people in the military eat three squares a day. Or rations. Not a stupid "military diet".

How about the MFP diet? Track your normal eating patterns on MFP for a few weeks. Educate yourself on how many calories you are really eating in a day. Then make small changes to get closer to the calorie target set for you by MFP.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    I heard of something where if the person was having surgery, then do something like this, but that's for surgery. My uncle had to live off tuna, saltine crackers, and peanut butter and water for a couple of days, worst moment of his life.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    That diet is one of the most ridiculous I've ever heard of. Seriously - almost zero nutrition - hot dogs with ice cream and saltines? It sounds like something a toddler made up. Definitely nothing the military would do.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    No. And I wouldn't recommend it or even try it.

There is nothing military about it, either.

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    It can't be a military diet if chili mac isn't on the menu.
  • Cazzy34
    Cazzy34 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    haha I read about this in the book i'm reading "fat chance". Sounds absolutely horrific! I wouldn't touch it!
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Ah man, I thought this was going to be a thread about how hard it can be to accurately log your food when you can't cook for yourself and are eating what they make in the galley. That's what I struggle with right now.

I don't know what this diet consists of but if its tuna and hot dogs, then I'm out. (Btw, we sometimes have tuna, but have never had hot dogs on our ship's menu).
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I can't imagine what "military diet" is being promoted as involving, but pretty sure, anyone who has actually had to live on an actual military diet would want nothing to do with it.

If you aren't doing the physical fitness / labor intensive work day involved with being a solder along with it, you will gain big time!!!! Military diets have a million calories...I counted. Okay, I jest lol...but it is incredibly calorie dense to keep up with how physically intensive our days are.

I mean, if you run 5miles a day, do manual labor all day, go on 20mile marches with 50lbs of gear and spend several days in the woods doing sleep deprivation on a regular basis...then I dont see why the military diet wouldnt work for you! LoL (but...at least join and get paid to have to do all that while being able to serve your country.)

ETA: and if it doesnt involve a case of budweiser or coors lite at least once a week, thats not a real military diet! LMFAO okay, now Im just being silly. (I mean, its true...but, yannow).
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    No...no...and no! I can fully say that is no diet plan I have ever seen a solider doing. MREs....yes! This NO!
  • Rashanti1
    Rashanti1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've seen a few people from here say they tried it and ended up gaining the weight right back.