The "pooch"!

Options
Will hip flexor stretches really get rid of the lower belly pooch? Any success stories with that? If not, any tips/advice? Thank you!

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    No.

Strength training will improve the appearance of that area, but to get rid of any "pooch," you need to lose the fat there.*

*This is under the assumption that it is not loose skin from childbirth or something similar, in which case, that may not ever disappear.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Eat in a calorie deficit and the fat will come off from there as it does from everywhere.
  • senglishrose
    senglishrose Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    my personal trainer always said your "diet" is what will help you get rid of the pooch. She had a woman training with her and the woman had a pooch and I was amazed how it went down.

For me, the pooch never went away because it was excess skin from weight loss so I had to have plastic surgery.
  • Rachelgarland715
    Rachelgarland715 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyon!
  • Rachelgarland715
    Options
    Everyone*
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    When I was complaining about my pooch even after I'd gotten pretty thin, my aunt told me the pooch is the genetic price the women in our family have to pay for big boobs on small frames. I'd probably have opted for smaller boobs and a flat tummy, but that's beside the point. The point is that if that's where your body likes to hold fat, you're going to have a pooch until you get your body fat lo enough to get rid of it no matter what exercises you do.
  • Rachelgarland715
    Options
    callie006 wrote: »
    When I was complaining about my pooch even after I'd gotten pretty thin, my aunt told me the pooch is the genetic price the women in our family have to pay for big boobs on small frames. I'd probably have opted for smaller boobs and a flat tummy, but that's beside the point. The point is that if that's where your body likes to hold fat, you're going to have a pooch until you get your body fat lo enough to get rid of it no matter what exercises you do.

Lol. Yay for genetics :) I feel if I lose enough to get rid of the pooch that I will look sickly... Who knows... Embrace the pooch? Haha.
  • tamh170obust
    tamh170obust Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of brushing? I recently started using a bristle brush daily over my problem areas maybe its just in my mind but I think its starting to help me tone my 'pooch'...
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of brushing? I recently started using a bristle brush daily over my problem areas maybe its just in my mind but I think its starting to help me tone my 'pooch'...

Dry body brushing, if I assume correctly what you mean, is excellent exfoliation and increases blood flow to the skin. Nothing to do with the fat though.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Lol. Yay for genetics :) I feel if I lose enough to get rid of the pooch that I will look sickly... Who knows... Embrace the pooch? Haha.

same same :disappointed:
    I've got 8lbs left to goal weight, and I can't see my pooch disappearing with so little to lose. If I lose anymore than that I'll get that sickly hollow look, been there done that.

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

I've got 8lbs left to goal weight, and I can't see my pooch disappearing with so little to lose. If I lose anymore than that I'll get that sickly hollow look, been there done that.

Me too, mine is here for the duration. 'Til death do us part I guess. We should at least get an anniversary dinner out of this or something. :|
  • Christine_72
    Options

Me too, mine is here for the duration. 'Til death do us part I guess. We should at least get an anniversary dinner out of this or something. :|

Haha. I'm guessing weight lifting is in our future :grumble:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

No it's not :grinning:

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You can't spot reduce. Eat in a calorie deficit and the fat will come off from there as it does from everywhere.

YEP
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

ahh, it's not doing anything permanent.
  • Christine_72
    edited February 2015
    Options

Dry body brushing, if I assume correctly what you mean, is excellent exfoliation and increases blood flow to the skin. Nothing to do with the fat though.

Do you use one of those regular back washing shower brushes, or is there a specific brush for this purpose?
    @tamh170obust‌
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I just like the exfoliating part. I have a back brush but never use it
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    I just like the exfoliating part. I have a back brush but never use it

okay sorry this just reminded me of:
    c8zczzskgxxw.jpeg
  • Christine_72
    edited February 2015
    Options
    OH. MY. GOD.... That is hideous :noway:

He'd need a shedding comb for that mess!!

• swole_elsa
    swole_elsa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    One of the many reasons I adore you, Lis ;)