Losing weight running

Options
I was wondering if there is anyone who lost a lot of weight with just running as their exercise.

Replies

• congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    About a 100 lbs, but I attributed mostly to diet. I was always playing team sports but running really accelerated the weight loss.
  • jonrenly
    jonrenly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I went down from 130 to 105 at my lowest (I'm short) from just running a few miles every morning and eating healthy. I fell off the wagon for a little while and gained back about ten lbs, but now I'm running, strength training, cycling, and taking a yoga class..... and of course still eating healthy.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Running can burn a heck of a lot of calories, but for some people it increases your appetite so you can easily eat back in ten minutes what took you an hour to work off. It's also high impact so possibly not a great long term activity if you have dodgy hips/knees/ankles/feet. Always a good idea to do some strength training alongside; this might help prevent injury and will strengthen your muscles which will helps you run better.

I absolutely love running - an hour out in the fresh air alone, just listening to music and having time to think.
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    I want to lose 70 pounds and I was thinking starting by running then once I lose about half my weight Ill add in some strength training
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    About 20% of the weight we lose is non-fat weight, which includes muscle. Strength training helps minimize that loss. Plus it burns calories. Suggestion: start a full-body strength program now.
  • simonwarren777
    simonwarren777 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Running is awesome, and burns a lot of calories, but as they say, you can't out-run your fork.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I did couch to 5k for about 70lbs of my weight loss
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sweettart wrote: »
    I was wondering if there is anyone who lost a lot of weight with just running as their exercise.

Every other day I do an uphill walk for fat burn and I was doing sprints / intervals weekly but I have been doing more of that lately.

It is important to get a variety in our nutrition and exercise. I think we need to do strength training as well to build or maintain a good base of muscle. It burns more calories, it ramps up the metabolism, it increases our daily movements (burning further calories), and it reduces injury to the body.

Other great exercises for other needs of the body include yoga, stretching, upper body cardio (like boxing or karate). There are plenty of different types of aerobics classes. Also, I like the Core Performance program because in addition to flexibility, strength, & cardio, it includes exercises for "prehab" (injury prevention), elasticity / power, regeneration, etc

I try to change up my workout program every 2-4 weeks which is helpful to the body to continue losing fat and building muscle. It also reduces the chances of overtraining injuries.

A surefire way to gain alot of weight is to get injured and unable to workout.